Note to New Members ×

Screws are Stuck

Silver Bullet

So, I'm prepping for a ride tomorrow, switching the Td3's to a more turny board and realize that I did not loosen the screws last spring. As I loosen the first few I get a bit of a spark and that burnt smelling smoke. The last three screws don't come out.

I figure tomorrow I'll pick up a 5mm hex for my power drill and see if that works unless anyone has a better idea.

Thoughts?

yeah, my td3s do the same thing. the old TD1 stepin heel recievers did it real bad.

it's the coating on the aluminum I think. to get it loose use a T-handle or ratchet with the proper bit. to prevent it use a good synthetic grease on the surfaces that touch the center disk.

did you notice the burnt gun powder smell?

one trick which can help to loosen frozen fasteners (pun intended) is to rap on the head sharply with a hammer. Place a small nut or something similar on the head so the force of the blow is actually transmitted to the screw. The rap can be quite substantial. This sends quite a shock into the threads and can help dislodge screws without totally destroying the hex socket.

+1 on the rap method.

I like to use the appropriate bit out a driver set, put a little turning pressure on the screw with a wrench, then tap the driver bit to concentrate the impact down the screw shaft, shouldn't take much impact or pressure to break the bond.

Think delicate impact wrench with no worries of stripping the screw head:biggthump

If all of the above fails and you round out your 4 or 5mm hexes,all is not lost, yet. Use a dremel with a cut-off disc and grind out a slot in the flathead for a kickass slotted screwdriver and use a large vise grip clamped w/superhuman strength to the screwdriver to help turn screw out, apply inward force on driver and turn w/visegrip. Use the other tactics from the others w/ this method, Ok, If this fails , drill press w/helicoils,but thats for later, good luck Rob

BTW, I just want to be clear on this, the bonding is not happening in the threads therefor threadlock is no help it's the surface that touches the heads of the screws.

anti seizing compound is really what you want. I said syn grease before but I do use a anti seize compound on some parts

Hey Silver Bullet, they have a tool for this job, it is called an impact driver. You put the 5mm hex bit inside the appropriate sized 3/8" socket, slide the socket on the impact driver and smack it with a hammer. Not only does it transmit the shock to the bolt but it also is spring loaded so that it will twist(unscrew) when impacted with the hammer.

You can also use it to tighten bolts but I don't think you would ever want to use and impact driver to tighten, you'll never get them off

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

Yeah... but OVR fixes aircraft with a sawzall and crowbars! :eek:

Brad, you don't know how right you are. I had to pull the fuel bladder out of our airplane the other day and I used a tire iron, seriously!

To keep it on topic, remember to back those screws out at the end of the season

A trick I picked up years ago...and it applies to all fasteners. Try to "tighten" the stuck bolt first(just enough to hear the fastener give a little), then loosen. sometimes the tool gets a better bite on the fastener and is able to break the bonds without stripping the bolt. this works remarkably well with dissimilar metals.. good luck and Merry X-mas!

I figured you had this done already. Harbor Freight also sells a larger impact driver with a 1/2" drive on the bottom, I would recommend getting this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37530

Next you will need a 1/2" to 3/8" drive reducer

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1793

Then you will need a set of 3/8" drive metric hex wrench set

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98229

Slide the reducer onto the impact driver and then the 5mm hex socket onto the end. Smack that bolt and get it out of there.

Now for you machine heads out there, I know that this is a cheeseball way to do this job but it should work.

Cost

Impact Driver 6.99

Reducer Set 3.99

Hex Sockets 14.99

As a last resort take a large drill and the appropriate sized bit and drill the head off that bolt. Once the head of the bolt is removed the tension will be released and you should be able to extract the balance of the bolt that remains in the board