Note to New Members ×

K, so my boots keep coming out of my bindings...

Call me jack

i have cateks. i don't think the snow is your problem. if you had snow buildup under your boot then it would make it harder to flip the bale.

i've had problems with getting the right tension on the bales. i start out the season tight but eventually the front bale deforms and loosens or the weld breaks.

i switched over to fintec heels and fintec receiver for the cateks.

You say it occurs with the first runs for you. Have you thought about the boots shrinking/contracting with the cold temps. Lots of people like to keep their boots up front, with the heater blowing on them when they drive to the hill to keep them warm. Plastic that is warm will expand and then contract when exposed to cold temps. This could cause your boot to come out of the binding since the boots have shrunk.

Try this, when you get home throw your boots into the freezer for a few hours then try them in your bindings, are you getting excessive play? This could be one scenario. It happened to me many years ago with a set of Burton Step Ins. Now, whenever I use different bindings I make sure I adjust when boots are cold.

+1 warm/cold reply.

Its possible your warm boots are flexing in the bindings. Once they are cold they get more rigid and won't be susceptable to it. Check to see if the bail is seated on the toe ramp and have some one stand on your board as you tweek it edge to edge and look at the boot to see if it is warping slightly. It might be rolling the release just enough to cause it to open with enough pressure.

yeah, jack beat me to it, IMO the warm cold thing should not be a issue. if they are properly adjusted in the first place the boot might get smaller enough that there's a bit of play but not enough for ejections. this is true with burton, catek, phiokka, bomber and a few more I have owned and never had this issue with. I almost always set up my boards at room temp.

to me, if you're blaming ejections on shrinkage you messed it up in the first place.

yeah, jack beat me to it, IMO the warm cold thing should not be a issue. if they are properly adjusted in the first place the boot might get smaller enough that there's a bit of play but not enough for ejections. this is true with burton, catek, phiokka, bomber and a few more I have owned and never had this issue with. I almost always set up my boards at room temp.

to me, if you're blaming ejections on shrinkage you messed it up in the first place.

will when i get home tonight... i think i fixed the problem though...

if you're blaming ejections on shrinkage you messed it up in the first place.

i wanna saying something, but i'll wait until i get my binding situation figured out, before sabotaging my thread :p

Make sure the toe clip goes over center with a firm 'snap' at the end. My guess would be that it's just barely over center, any boot flex in that situation and it may pop open.

This is fixed by adjusting the little screw in the toe clip so it can swing closer to the boot.

Looks like your lever adjustment screw is out pretty far. I would crank that in a few turns to get the toe lever to sit down flush with the boot. Can you post another pic of the front toe bail/boot interface. Not so close next time, lets see what it looks like from a bit further away

Another thing I did with my Cateks is to loop a piece of webbing or cord to the hole in the toe lever. Make it long enough that you can slide it under your boot buckles. Close your toe lever, then close your boot buckle down on top of the cord or webbing and you won't ever have to worry about your toe lever popping open.

i just shortened the distance between the toe bale and the heel, one notch. the bales are alot stiffer now, but i can tell they'll hold. the only reason i didn't do this before, was because i was afraid, i'd crack the boot... so now i guess my new question, now is; is it really that possible to crack the boot?

2nd'ed, that looks marginal from the picture. The leash is a backup, the primary is the 'snap' at the end of the closing motion. If it just goes 'mush' and kind of stops, you need to back the stop screw out that holds it off the boot. Try loosening it and see what happens. To be crystal clear, I'm talking about screw #14 in this picture:

binding_part_td2_standard_overview_top_lg.jpg

It's a different binding, but the same principle applies.

You should be able to close the clip with one hand. Just barely, but it should be possible. If you can feel the boot distorting with your feet it's way too tight.

I've noticed in many pictures of racers' boards they have the little loop of cord on the toe clip to tuck under a buckle. But I guarantee they start with the proper binding setup first.

I can't speak for everyone else hre, but my boot does indeed flex and due to how I ride, it changes how the bails react and will occasionaly open on my back leg.

This I believe was the solution a previous poster referred to.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/DaveESPI/Snowboarding/

I had a previous design of loop / catch closure but riding one day I lost it, so I improvised this leash clip and it actualy is easier with my boots.