Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 09-10 Edition

nekdut

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: That is awesome! Funny thing is that I do feel cool(for myself) and do love my hard gear. Once I heard the following about my boots(UPZ RS10) from group of children riding boards and skies:

"Look, there are 5 buckles on her ski boots. I have never known they produce such" following "Waau".

My husband purchased himself a pair of skies by Dynastar Legend PRO XXL. When he put them on the carpet I stepped on them to check how wide those were. Seeing me doing that he corrected me by stepping on them the way we-HARDBOOTERS stand on alpine boards.

In general, I saw the reaction of people seeing me putting my UPZs and taking a board instead of skies(sometimes we have 2 pairs of skies on the ground in front of the car as my husband cannot choose the ones he wants to ride first). They usually stare at me with O.O eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ski racer: "Those are some finely machined bindings there. What are they?"

Boarder, seeing me step in getting off the lift (which I'm just starting to be able to do) "What kind of bindings are those????" "Ohhh, those are race boots, aren't they?"

Skier: "That's like an amusement park ride, right? You're not getting off it until it's done!" He saw me making big turns coming down and figured the board was taking me for a ride. Half true, still haven't gotten the radius of my turns down to a reasonable level for prime time.

Every time I take out my alpine board I get comments, always curious or positive. "Does that go fast?" is common, and the answer is "yes, even on the bunny hill!" Most often it's one kid to another: "look--holy snap, that thing looks FAST! You see that? Like a race board. Like a big ski"

And I've been told by several snowboard instructors I met in the lift line that they've have bought carving boards or aspire to.

In general, I saw the reaction of people seeing me putting my UPZs and taking a board instead of skies(sometimes we have 2 pairs of skies on the ground in front of the car as my husband cannot choose the ones he wants to ride first). They usually stare at me with O.O eyes.

Don't want to mess up the thread but just wanted to point out the plural of ski is skis. The plural for sky is skies.

I know you are in Europe ??? I think or so please don't take offense. I love your enthusiasm for carving and seeing your posts on here, so don't hold back.

What is your native language?

There is a small ski area near my house that I like to ride occasionally. The only run I can carve top to bottom is right under the main lift. I get A LOT of comments from people there... the usual stuff we all get. Yesterday I heard a couple new ones though.

Was riding the lift with a young local snowboarder... after a few questions he turned to me and said: Do you realize everyone on this lift is practically falling out of their chairs to watch you ride that thing?

Late in the day I was sitting on the patio of the base area and an older lady came up to me and asked: Do you have special springs installed into your bindings? I've never seen anyone leave the ground between turns like you do.

(there is a flat section that requires a lot of energy from the board to maintain momentum and speed if you want to keep turning

... but I didn't attempt to explain to her how that works)

There is a small ski area near my house that I like to ride occasionally. The only run I can carve top to bottom is right under the main lift. I get A LOT of comments from people there... the usual stuff we all get. Yesterday I heard a couple new ones though.

Was riding the lift with a young local snowboarder... after a few questions he turned to me and said: Do you realize everyone on this lift is practically falling out of their chairs to watch you ride that thing?

Late in the day I was sitting on the patio of the base area and an older lady came up to me and asked: Do you have special springs installed into your bindings? I've never seen anyone leave the ground between turns like you do.

(there is a flat section that requires a lot of energy from the board to maintain momentum and speed... but I didn't attempt to explain to her how that works)

Springs. I like that. What boards are you riding? Metal or Fiberglass?

:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

Sometimes I can feel almost every single head on the chair swivel as I go by.

Pretty awesome feeling. But I don't ride the whole way right under the chair.

Showoff. :eplus2:

Stalker might be a bit too strong a term. However, I am sure others have noticed folks that are interested enough to follow you around? A week ago, it was the first really sunny + good firm groomed in a while. It was the strangest day. Perhaps a dozen times or more I would see the same person(s) just off maybe 50' watching, I was riding pretty hard and had found a place about half way down to stop at a bench and rest perhaps 30 seconds before the next attack of the slopes. I was sitting there, tunes playing a metal song catching my breath (last run @2:10PM) and I am looking down and I see a pair of skis come up right under the bench I am sitting on. Then a lound voice "Is that one them there carving skiboards". I am just about at my whits end from a day of this. I hit "Mute" and look up, preparing myself to once again find the short yet polite responce to make them happy in the smallest amount of time spent. It is a long time buddy of mine I had not seen in months. We laughed hard and I raced off for my last run and a dash to work. It was a very good day!!

Don't want to mess up the thread but just wanted to point out the plural of ski is skis. The plural for sky is skies.

I know you are in Europe ??? I think or so please don't take offense. I love your enthusiasm for carving and seeing your posts on here, so don't hold back.

What is your native language?

Thank you. I might have mistyped myself as I have to do it secretly from work. On the other hand, it gives me a nice opportunity to learn in by heart and type automatically correct next time.

My native language is Russian. I lived in Japan for some time and used Japanese as a native. It influenced my English a lot as I kept forgetting or twisting it due to special Japanese pronunciation(There are only few Japanese speaking nice English). Now my English undergoes sort of reanimation period.:) Therefore, there are threads where I edit my messages to correct my own mistakes. But it is already a separated topic.:lurk:

A few days ago I was coming into the base/lift line area (which is next to the fenced off beginner/rope tow area) with a bit of speed, so as I approached the slow sign I decided to scrub some speed by attempting a carved 360. I only made it 3/4 of the way around (as usual) but still - I did manage to lay down a super sweet toeside carve, complete with knee and hand arcs. Just at the end of my carve I heard someone bust out in excited whistling and whooping, and thought I had gained an admirer!!! :1luvu: But when I turned around I realized the whistles were for a tiny skier - maybe 3 years old - clad entirely in pink, linking up her very first snowplow turns in the the beginner area! :biggthump OK, so the excitement wasn't over my riding, but it warmed my little heart anyway. :)

Kram, crazyTDKsquirrel & I were trenching up Kaniksu(fave carving run) getting some video clips sun. afternoon. About the 4th run I carved down to a camera stop followed closely by a skier who pulled up to me and said "what's your name".

Expecting a flattering comment I said "Troy, what's yours".

He didn't expect that, hesitated, then said; Bob *******, you know, your making a lot of ruts(poking my trench with a pole), you should learn to ski over there(pointing to dense trees off piste).

My turn to hesitate thinking to myself 'I know how to ski over there'.

Bob, poking the ruts; "I'm having trouble with these ruts, they're dangerous (pushing ski into trench) someone could get hurt. Really, the snow over there is great(4in of chewed up, skied out sun. afternoon dust on crust), you should try skiing over there.

As he skied off disgruntled I said, "If it makes you feel better I tripped over them too":smashfrea

Then I pulled out the camera & signaled the crew to make some more trenches:biggthump

4340777884_0f8d89fc85.jpg

4340828232_f6126d3030.jpg4340840282_492729e3b0.jpg4340777870_3262a4f374.jpg

"Why don't you guys skid the tail like all the other boarders?"

That,s funny:lol:

Bob, poking the ruts; "I'm having trouble with these ruts, they're dangerous (pushing ski into trench) someone could get hurt. Really, the snow over there is great(4in of chewed up sun. afternoon dust on crust), you should try skiing over there.

Say, Bob, how much did you pay for your ski pass? Oh, really? Funny, that's what I paid for mine. So stiff cheddar, dude.

Or ... you could politely suggest that he's very welome to go ski "over there" ...

I wonder if Bob has relatives in Aspen?:eplus2:

Say, Bob, how much did you pay for your ski pass? Oh, really? Funny, that's what I paid for mine. So stiff cheddar, dude.

Or ... you could politely suggest that he's very welome to go ski "over there" ...

I wonder if Bob has relatives in Aspen?:eplus2:

Since I get a employee family pass, no cheddah.

I did think to ask him why he wasn't skiing the "great snow over there" as he skied away:freak3:

you should learn to ski over there(pointing to dense trees off piste).

I love the way he said you should "learn" to ski over there. I wouldn't have moved over because f*** him, but even if there were little kids on this run, falling over the ruts, I wouldn't have moved because of his condescending choice of words.

I love the way he said you should "learn" to ski over there. I wouldn't have moved over because f*** him, but even if there were little kids on this run, falling over the ruts, I wouldn't have moved because of his condescending choice of words.

There were 1/2 dozen other runs off that chair that didn't have any ruts,but he didn't stick around long enough to tell him that.