Note to New Members ×

What brands of alpine gear should our shop carry?

patmoore

Our shop's manager is amenable to carrying some alpine gear but we'll be starting with baby steps. Most likely we'll stock one brand each of board, boots, and bindings. Obviously Bomber would be a good candidate for bindings but I'm looking for suggestions from you guys. We do a very solid online business (have shipped to 37 different countries) and have had a brick and mortar store just south of Hartford, CT for nearly forty years.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Our shop's manager is amenable to carrying some alpine gear but we'll be starting with baby steps. Most likely we'll stock one brand each of board, boots, and bindings. Obviously Bomber would be a good candidate for bindings but I'm looking for suggestions from you guys. We do a very solid online business (have shipped to 37 different countries) and have had a brick and mortar store just south of Hartford, CT for nearly forty years.

Singlehandedly reviving the sport, first a snowboard gate nastar at okemo and now another alpine shop...tremendeous

For boards Coiler anyway

Boots... UPZ, plus parts

But for bindings bomber, cateck and F2 don't have to stock lots of binding sizes and they ought to be easy sellers

I'd love to see you carry Coiler, but I doubt Bruce has time to make a retail run given his backlog of bookings. Donek or Prior may be a better way to go, Or F2 and Nidecker given that they are much larger companies and if you carry their jibber boards they may give you better terms on the alpine stuff.

Bomber bindings of course - Startingate was no longer carrying them as of last season (IIRC)

Boots - UPZ would be great but I think you have to go through Dan Yoja (But talk to Bordy - I think Hardbooter may be a distributor now)

I agree with tex123 about the coilers, great boards but not for the masses. It would be nice to see a NA boardbuilder supported, Donek or Prior, I think Donek has a good line for entry level riders (pilot) and I believe he has the ability to support the production demand.

I agree that for retail sales, Donek and Prior would be good bets, with F2 being a solid Euro production brand.

Carrying Prior would also give your shop the benefit of being able to carry his great freeride boards and twin tips skis as well, if you wanted to.

I also agree that Bruce at Coiler might not be set up for semi mass production.

Don't forget the boots and bindings, and while you at it, some good helmets, pads, and guards....

I agree that for retail sales, Donek and Prior would be good bets, with F2 being a solid Euro production brand.

Carrying Prior would also give your shop the benefit of being able to carry his great freeride boards and twin tips skis as well, if you wanted to.

I also agree that Bruce at Coiler might not be set up for semi mass production.

Don't forget the boots and bindings, and while you at it, some good helmets, pads, and guards....

if I remember correctly yyz and the startingate had coilers in the past

Thanks to everyone who posted and sent emails with their thoughts. You've given us a lot of good feedback so we can make the right choices. I don't know the time frame but hopefully soon. I'll keep you posted as soon as we have some inventory in stock.

Much obliged!

given the following they have, and the trouble people seem to have with CATEK, I would stock them over Bombers...why would anyone buy TDs from you if they can just call michelle and get excellent customer service?

on the other hand, you could become the capable distribution for CATek...

given the following they have, and the trouble people seem to have with CATEK, I would stock them over Bombers...why would anyone buy TDs from you if they can just call michelle and get excellent customer service?

on the other hand, you could become the capable distribution for CATek...