Note to New Members ×

Is everyone getting the H1N1 vaccine?

skategoat

A 13 year old kid, otherwise healthy, died of H1N1 this week.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091027/national/flu_boy_dies

I've been on the fence about it but this death has convinced me to get the shot for the entire family. My neighbour is a public health doctor and is telling me the vaccine is well tested. She says make up your own mind after speaking with health professionals and whatever you do, stay away from the YouTube videos.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, most likely not. I plan to just be smart about hand washing and avoiding people who may have symptoms. I know this was just chance and anecdotal, but the one year I did get a flu shot was the only year I got the flu in the last 15.

I never get the seasonal flu shot but this one is different.

It kills young people. Old people seem to be immune. Also, I find it strange that so many people died in Mexico when it broke out but no where else. That leads me to believe this ain't your normal, garden variety flu virus.

H1N1 killed that kid in one day. His father says 10 minutes. He lives in my neighbourhood which means the virus lurks close-by. I'm staying away from public places and not shaking hands with anyone until I get my shot.

From Health Canada:

Q1. What is the difference between an adjuvanted and non-adjuvanted vaccine?

An adjuvanted vaccine is a vaccine that includes a substance that boosts an individual's immune system and increases their response to a vaccine. An unadjuvanted vaccine has no “booster” element.

Adjuvanted vaccines are included in common vaccines such as tetanus and Hep B. The adjuvant in Canada’s H1N1 flu vaccine is made up of natural ingredients such as water, squalene oil and vitamin E.

Q2. When was the last time Canada used an adjuvant in a vaccine?

Adjuvants are not new. They have been used for several decades to boost immune response to vaccines. Many of the commonly used vaccines in Canada contain an adjuvant. However, they have not previously been approved for use with influenza vaccines in Canada.

Q3. Are adjuvanted influenza vaccines safe for use?

The adjuvant used by GSK has been tested in approximately 45,000 people around the world and has been evaluated by Health Canada and other regulatory authorities as part of the review of the H5N1 vaccine in the pre-pandemic period. No significant safety concerns regarding the use of the adjuvanted vaccine were detected.

In June 2009, the WHO held consultations on the safety of adjuvanted influenza vaccines to review and discuss known and theoretical safety concerns and prospective vaccine safety evaluation. The outcome of the WHO consultation was that no significant safety concerns or barriers to evaluating or using adjuvanted vaccines for the current H1N1 virus were raised.

Clinical studies have been designed to study the risks and benefits of using both adjuvanted and unadjuvanted vaccine against the H1N1 flu virus, and Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada are working closely with other national agencies to implement appropriate post-market monitoring.

Having just had the H1N1 flu, I can see why it can turn out badly for some. The flu itself wasn't too bad, as flu viruses go, but the cough which follows is a very wet, heavy cough, that doesn't seem to want to go away, even a week, or so after the main event subsided.

My wife teaches at an elementary school, and my daughter is in 7th grade. Both schools were heavily hit with H1N1. Both came down with it at the same time, and despite my best efforts, I got it a few days later.

Glad I got it over with, before the season starts though :biggthump

BobD

We're all a bunch of old farts as far as H1N1 is concerned.

The disease mainly affects and kills young adults, teens, and children 23 and younger.

You're not hearing much about 70-80 year olds dying - the people that the flu normally kills. It's due mainly to mature versus developing immune systems.

While you might not have gotten H1N1 directly, many of us have gotten the flu or been exposed to it numerous times, which means we've been exposed to some of the genetic markers/strain types that many flu virii share in common. We've had immune responses to those common markers and thus our immune systems are able to readily respond/resist H1N1. It's pretty much cross reactivity of your antibodies. In my lab i've seen antibodies specific for West Nile Virus cross react with Dengue Fever Virus antigens. In your body, this means an immune response to DFV even if you've never been exposed to it because of your previous exposure to WNV.

This, unfortunately, is not the case for children and younger adults who have had less time to acquire this kind of immunity through time and mild exposure to similar genetic markers.

Being a healthy 35-year old male, I'm not in the risk group. But, with a 2 month old daughter at home I'm being told I should get the shot.

Ignoring the general argument about whether vaccinations are good or not, can my getting this vaccination help prevent transferring it to her? If I encounter this virus can't I somehow pass it on to her even after a vaccination?

Being a healthy 35-year old male, I'm not in the risk group. But, with a 2 month old daughter at home I'm being told I should get the shot.

Ignoring the general argument about whether vaccinations are good or not, can my getting this vaccination help prevent transferring it to her? If I encounter this virus can't I somehow pass it on to her even after a vaccination?

Ask your pediatrician.

Just finished my urgent care shift.

The teens seems to feel pretty sick with this (teens don't usually come in laying on the table with oxygen in the 95% range, and there were 4-5 tonight alone). Fortunately most won't end up in ICU.

There were also the 42 yo feeling better but his roomate of the same age in ICU with confirmed h1n1.

You might want to wash your hands and mask up all you want, but if you have young kids around you, good luck keeping anything away.

It's sexy to show the video above, but not so sexy to show ICU patients!

Getting the shot or not is of course up to you.

No different than deciding whether to put on your binding and bombing down the hill...

On the other hand, if you are an Olympic athlete, you'd be stupid not to get the shot. The flu, regular or h1n1, Tamiflu or not, will floor you for at least a week, and if that week happens to be your competition, there goes a lifetime of training...

it's kinda like the old seat belt debate. There are instances where a seat belt will kill you, but 99.999999% (or whatever) of the time, you'll be glad you were wearing one.

I can really believe the respiratory problems some people are having. I don't think I can remember coughing up so much fluid from a cough, as I have after H1N1.

BobD

Did any of you see that poor girl who got messed up from the Flu vaccine? It did some bad Sh!t to her nervous system.

Makes me think twice if I should still get it or not.

Shizzle, she can still run backwards and talk to you. Who cares about just walking forward; it's over rated anyway....:biggthump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_d1SHR_VYU

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_d1SHR_VYU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

This is the kind of yellow "journalism" one needs to avoid when making an informed decision.

A timely joke:

Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her eighties and had never been married. She was admired for her sweetness and kindness to all. One afternoon the pastor came to call on her and she showed him into her quaint sitting room. She invited him to have a seat while she prepared tea.

As he sat facing her old Hammond organ, the young minister noticed a cute glass bowl sitting on top of it. The bowl was filled with water, and in the water floated, of all things, a condom!

When she returned with tea and scones, they began to chat. The pastor tried to stifle his curiosity about the bowl of water and its strange floater, but soon it got the better of him and he could no longer resist.

'Miss Beatrice', he said, 'I wonder if you would tell me about this?' pointing to the bowl.

'Oh, yes,' she replied, 'Isn't it wonderful? I was walking through the park a few months ago and I found this little package on the ground. The directions said to place it on the organ, keep it wet and that it would prevent the spread of disease. I haven't had the flu all winter!'

Does getting a vaccination reduce your chances of passing on the virus to others? Or is it purely selfish so that you don't get sick?

Yes it would reduce your chance of transmission (no different than other immunizations-herd immunity).

I've got the regular shot, waiting to get the H1N1. For several reasons: I can't afford to get sick ($$$ and if there is a snow dump!), I can't afford to pass it on to my elderly parents or worse to my patients!!

As for the stuff that are in there, there are a lot more dangerous stuff people ingest and somehow never worry about it (think of those wonderfully colored candies you're going to ingest in a couple of days...)

Don't touch any door handles. Wash hands religiously.

Did I mention don't touch any door handles. Think about that every time you go to walk into a store, church, post office, movie theater, where ever - just don't do it. Wear gloves. Back through, do whatever you have to do.

No shots here yet. My daughter might have had a mild version last weekend.

Be healthy.

As for the stuff that are in there, there are a lot more dangerous stuff people ingest and somehow never worry about it (think of those wonderfully colored candies you're going to ingest in a couple of days...)

Reminds me of the time I went charter fishing in Lake Ontario. We're sucking back beer and tequila, smoking cigars and we ask the captain if the fish are safe to eat. The guy just laughs.

12 year old girl in RI, comes down w/ flu like symptoms on Thursday, stays home from school goes back in and is dead Monday...I'm not as comfortable as I was. Good friend just called me about this 20 mins. ago as his family knows the family and the young girl that just passed. I don't like the vaccine or the alternative..wtf...this isn't good

NO.

in 33 years I have never had a flu shot. I have had the flu, and provided we have a strong immune system, we will all be fine.

My GF is an RN. She confirms this also.

H1N1 is just a flu. Thousands of people die each year from flu and penumonia. this one is no different other than the media hype is a bit more pronounced because of the whoe "swine flu" nonsense.

If I want a Virus, I will ride one.... not get it in the arm. :biggthump

H1N1 is just a flu. Thousands of people die each year from flu and penumonia. this one is no different other than the media hype is a bit more pronounced because of the whoe "swine flu" nonsense.

That's the part where you're wrong... Normally the flu has a very high prevalence of killing old farts and toddlers/infants, NOT 10-20 year olds. Young people are still dying, but old people seem to be fine for the most part. My brother is an internal med doc at a county hospital and has had a few people die already (3 or 4 i think - all younger than 25).

In any case, I agree with the part about not causing mass hysteria since the normal flu kills around 20 thousand plus people around the world each year.

We just got really lucky that this strain isn't super virulent because if it was, a lot more people would be dead. However, the thing is super contagious, which is why it has spread as quickly it has. Many people probably become carriers and hardly exhibit any symptoms or feel any effects.

And one more thing about vaccinations in general. All I can say for parents who refuse to vaccinate their children at birth for the "normal" routine stuff ( is that they're placing the rest of us and their own children in danger. How the hell do you think polio got eliminated? It wasn't magic... Anyway, those people are just lucky that the majority of us are vaccinated and won't be giving it (the "normal" diseases we get vaccinated for at birth) to them anytime soon. As for H1N1, that's in a different category and wouldn't be classified as "normal," so nothing wrong with not receiving that one. BTW, if it was 1650-1880 and you were Native American, I'm sure you wouldn't say no to the Small Pox vaccine (if it existed) even if you had a 15% chance of dying from it, hehe