Note to New Members ×

Charcoal BBQ anyone?

mr_roboteye

I got a charbroil "american gourmet" recently, looks like this........., it's gotta side "firebox" (ha,ha you all you perverts) and a main cooking chamber. It's a BBQ, grill and smoker all in one. Weighs about 45 lbs, so really portable too. It will fit two 12" pizzas comfortably lengthwise with about 1/2" to spare on each side on the short side.

charbroil.jpg

I've been using various kinds / brands of briquettes, but I have settled on Royal Oak lump charcoal as the best for BBQ'ing and grilling. A couple of weeks ago I did up some pork loins. Rubbed them with some off the shelf bbq pork spice, BBQ'd em' in a 9"x9" pan with about half an inch of apple juice in the bottom of the pan for about 3 hours at 200 degrees F. Threw wet mesquite chips on the charcoal every half hour or so to smoke em'. They came out so good I was stunned.

Buffalo wings and tandoori chicken breasts come out so tasty it would make Chuck Norris question his manhood. And steaks, don't even get me started........ inch and half thick with some hickory on the coals, I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Did a frozen delissio pizza the other day. 250 F for about an hour and a half with mesquite chips on the coals every once in a while. Broiled it for about three minutes in the house oven to crisp it up a bit. Just wicked.

Anyway if anyone else is a BBQ nut, post up.

later,

Dave R.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to check that out. Using the classic weber right now.

I like fire. I like charred meat. I think gas grills are such a poor substitute for real fire that it is just downright disappointing. Dry flavorless meat from that.

Sorry not trying to bring the bummer gas stoke.

I do a lot of grilling, I will have to look into this for the easy smoker factor.

Thanks Dave.

I like fire. I like charred meat. I think gas grills are such a poor substitute for real fire that it is just downright disappointing. Dry flavorless meat from that.

I do a lot of grilling, I will have to look into this for the easy smoker factor.

Thanks Dave.

Cereal bowl with legs? Ohhhh yes. Never known BBQing any other way.

You have to try real wood coals. It does make the difference. If you use regular charcoal - you can put a peace of any real wood on the grate - just for smoke (flavor). Any fruit tree will give you great smoke taste.

This tipe of smoker is great for "cold" smoking. Takes for ever, but it's totally worth it. Having a father in Texas, who has about 5-6 of those gadgets has tought me a thing or two ;).

Thanks Dave.

To all: Thanks for all the replies.

You're welcome. Any of the BBQ forums I lurk the guys there are Weber smoky mountain fanatics. They cost a lot more but it's apparently much easier to keep your temp consistent with a WSM

I agree, gas grilled meat is dissapointing. Last February on a guys' weekend trip to Whistler, a buddy of mine grilled some steaks on an $8 throwaway charcoal BBQ pan. It was the best steak I had ever had.

If I was going to do a lot of smoking I would probably use an electric smoker like a little chief / big chief or similar. Smoking with burning coals is a tricky business. Getting the temp consistant with a Q like mine basically requires you to sit beside it and drink beer for a long time. ( I guess that's not really a bad thing) Electric ones are more "set and forget". Bradley smokers are pretty good too.

The good part about this Q is it's cheap as dirt. I got mine on sale at london drugs for CDN $129. It takes a little more time in the long run , but it's well worth it in my opinion.

later,

Dave R.

Hey MR Roboteye, go to Home hardware and get some maple chunks or briquettes(I cannot remember) you can do a salmon on there like no other. I had it at a friends house with the same BBQ

Thanks for the tip, sometimes HH has some great stuff that no one else seems to carry. There's one up on the hill in Coquitlam near my place.

later,

Dave R.

You have to try real wood coals. It does make the difference. If you use regular charcoal - you can put a peace of any real wood on the grate - just for smoke (flavor). Any fruit tree will give you great smoke taste.

This tipe of smoker is great for "cold" smoking. Takes for ever, but it's totally worth it. Having a father in Texas, who has about 5-6 of those gadgets has tought me a thing or two ;).

I use lump charcoal that is made of hardwood, which gives pretty good taste just on it's own. I can see the wisdom of putting a piece of unburned wood on your grill to get it to smoke. It would also be good to soak it in water before you put it in your Q. It would help to keep the meat jucier. Mmmmmmmm. Thanks for the tips, I'll take all I can get.

later,

Dave R.

Propane burns clean and makes it really easy to regulate the temperature which will result in better tasting cooked food. Propane adds no flavor.

Wood smoke (from dried woods) adds flavor but takes practice to get the temp right.

Charcoal briquettes have all kinds of additives in them. If not allowed to burn completly before cooking they can impart gross (to me) flavors to the food. Most people use lighter fluid to start briquettes, yuk - while fun for pyros like me I don't like that stuff around my food.

I like combining propane and wood for everyday grilling. A little cast iron box loaded with soaked hardwoods will add lots o flavor to everything that you cook....and it's easy to clean up too. The little boxes are easy to find at hardware stores and are cheap. My propane grill is a monster. I bought the most BTU's I could get with brass burner parts (for longevity).

For large cooking like whole pigs, lamb, large beef cuts etc. I build a temporary above ground "pit" out of either wood, rocks or both and have a barrel on the side for producing the coals. That's for parties of over 100.

Don't buy BBQ sauces. Packaging food for long term shelf life has the tendency to destroy flavors. Make your own and you will be much happier. This is when that little side burner on a propane grill comes in handy.

And above ALL else, keep a beverage close by while cooking outdoors. It keeps the fire gods happy and makes your food taste better.

Charcoal briquettes have all kinds of additives in them. If not allowed to burn completly before cooking they can impart gross (to me) flavors to the food

That's why I'm using lump charcoal now. There are briquette manufacturers that claim to have briquettes pressed without additives that affect flavors adversely, but they are expensive and seem to be a lot more weight to lug around if you want to be portable.

Most people use lighter fluid to start briquettes, yuk - while fun for pyros like me I don't like that stuff around my food.

Ever seen a charcoal chimney? You probably have Erik, but for those who haven't.......... It will start briquettes or lump charcoal with two pieces of crumpled newspaper and a match. No fluids, chemicals etc. It's also easy enough to make your own if you're handy with sheet metal. Works great.

charcoalchimney.jpg

later,

Dave R.

but you know, don't you, that 'Carolina is the 'Que Capital of the whole known universe!!

And we have the books, the treatises, the championships, the trophies, and the PBS documentaries to prove it!! One recent study rated almost every hole-in-the-wall pit here-bouts from one to five piggies! Uhhhmm, good stuff!!

MelloYello, if you're out there somewhere, please gimme some help here.

I think I may need it ...

BB

I have to get my smoker back together.

total redneck rig, a old wood stove with a steel barrel on top. works awesome.

apple smoked ducks or partridge.

Like smoking pork butt prior to a crock pot and pulling it.

ribs, beef ribs rock my world.

Thanks Dave.

agreed!

gas is not the same

I have to get my smoker back together.

total redneck rig, a old wood stove with a steel barrel on top. works awesome.

apple smoked ducks or partridge.

Like smoking pork butt prior to a crock pot and pulling it.

ribs, beef ribs rock my world.

Glad to find another taste chaser. Beef ribs are on my short list. I could probably fit a small beef rack in my Q. A brisket and pork but are also in my plans for the summer.

Q on,

Dave R.

We have the books, the treatises, the championships, the trophies, and the PBS documentaries to prove it

But not the beer? I can't really think of any thing I'd rather do on a lazy Sat or Sun afternoon / evening than sit around the pit or on my buddys' bayliner, telling lies, drinking beer, and watching the Q while the wimmin' give us grief about just sitting there and doing nothing.

later,

Dave R.

It's called Billy Beer, a brew not well known outside the Territory of Possum's Pouch. Definitely an acquired, regional taste.

As for women unsympathetic to the serious male bonding that occurs 'round the pit, how you think I learned to cuss so good. Ms. B can really "tear a blue streak," when properly 'roused, but she doesn't do it very often, thank goodness.

Finally, thanks for replying to my Q "challenge." Testy as I've been lately, I'm grateful anyone'll still talk to me on here. Have to come up your way sometime and see how you true northerners cook 'Que. All for expanding the knowledge base, you know. But don't worry, man. I'll leave the Billy Brew at home...

Pungent Beef/Pork Paradise to you!!

cheers

BB

I'm with ErikJ on this, I like convenience. I will not give up my stepins or my gas. I always smoke with apple or cherry, often beer soaked, for everything but brats or maybe a quikie steak when i'm in a hurry.

I do a slow smoked beef rib roast that could convert a vegan:rolleyes:

Not dissin' charchol, I have an old weber kettle and always used chunk mesquite & chimney. But after buying the 4 burner stainless gas beast with side burner I have not felt the need to mess with the ash, just like I don't feel the need for laces & straps to surf the pow.

Maybe we should use this thread to share some recipes.

anyone else do beercan chicken??

ps Grampa bought some billy from billy right out of his ol' gas station in plains, but that was in the '70s on a road trip to florida, I was in high skuul so I never got to try it.

I grill all year round on a classic Weber. Gas is for girlymen and divorcees. I'm saving up for this smoker/grill/oven:

BGE_lg9883---edited.gif

www.biggreenegg.com.

I am a little lazy though and I use regular old Kingsford briquettes and lighter fluid. Sue me. Yeah, I'll get a lighter chimney soon. When I'm feeling fancy I'll spring for the lump hardwood charcoal. But I love throwing wet mesquite or hickory chips on the coals. Also a friend cut down a couple apple trees and gave me some of the wood. I'll throw a quarter log on the coals and put the cover on and that gives some real nice flavor.

Try this marinade for Salmon:

1/2 c. soy sauce

1/2 c. maple syrup

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp crushed garlic

a few dashes of hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot) to taste (the marinade isn't supposed to be that spicy, the maple should be the dominant flavor).

anyone else do beercan chicken??
Haven't done the chicken, but we've done turkeys on our Weber kettle. Just put a drip-tray full of beer between the coals, set the bird overtop and close the lid, no peeking! Simple and delicious.

But for everyday cooking, I don't have the time/patience to be messing with charcoal.

But for everyday cooking, I don't have the time/patience to be messing with charcoal.

That's why I've got natural gas. BBQ is my every day cooking.

Try the turkey on a bazooka. Sort of like beer can chicken.

Damn, now I'm getting hungry.