Note to New Members ×

Game Changer

Jack M

Thanks to bschurman for the chance to try his new Coiler NSR 185 this weekend.... I sent him this text from the chairlift: omfg omfg omfg!!!

This is hands down the best long board I've ever ridden. This changes everything.

Conditions on Saturday were bluebird skies, high-20s temps, and sugar-on-concrete thanks to the R-word earlier in the week. In other words, shyte except for the weather. I was riding with a fellow HB friend and he bailed to go x-c'ing by 10am. I spotted another fellow HB-er on his board first thing in the morning, and then I saw him at 11 and he had switched to skis. I thought what's the matter with these guys, conditions are epic! In the afternoon I donned the skis to ski with my kids and I couldn't believe how bad conditions were. How could I have possibly been carving this stuff before lunch? And at what felt like about 40mph, and to actual applause from spectators on the lift??

The big decambered nose really makes a difference. With this feature, the nose works with the sidecut, not against it. I would see bumps, piles, and ruts, but I wouldn't feel them. I was astonished. The board would simply carve over seemingly anything. I can really understand why this geometry helps in a rutty race course. The Schtubbies have this too, but not quite as much. But those are different boards. If I could only have one board, it would still be my Schtubby. The NSR is a longboard, not a quiver-killer.

The 13.7m to 17m blended (clothoid?) sidecut really works well. If you hammer the nose you can tighten up the turns, and if you pressure the tail the board really accelerates. Riding in the middle, the sidecut somehow feels like normal, the multiple radii and flex pattern all working in harmony. Don't let that 13.7m number fool you, this board rides long and smooth. I felt like I could pour myself a spot of tea in mid-carve. I thought there might be some overlap with my 14.2m Schtubby, but there wasn't. I set up my bindings in the middle sets of inserts on each foot, with the back foot a half inch further tailward in the TD2's rear-set holes. I didn't have a tape measure, but this felt like about a 19.75" or 20" stance with some set-back (1"? 2"?). I imagine the turns could be tightened up more by mounting the bindings more forward.

Anyway, to sum up... "I have GOT to get me one of these". Bruce, you've got mail.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - as I recall you were skeptical last season. My favorite thing about mine is the behavior on steeper runs... hangs onto a turn as long as I want it to, then the transition to the next turn is effortless. All of the edge hold without any of the hookiness. Never had mine at a speed where it felt skittish. Guess why I sold my PR196 at OES? I feel more comfortable at speed on my 185 NSR, and it gets up to speed just as readily. A game changer indeed!

Haha, yes, on paper 13.7m to 17m and 20mm taper does not quite compute to me, but in practice with the right flex pattern obviously more is possible than I previously thought.

I haven't ridden a Kessler either, but that is going to change too... :eplus2:

Damnit Jack, I had a feeling you would be posting a review like that on the NSR.. My wallet will NOT like me. :angryfire

In advance of you riding the NSR and still waiting for your 160 proto I've already started to unload boards knowing that I'll ordering some new Coilers in the next 2 seasons. I'm changing my entire quiver over.

Bruce you are going to be one busy guy.;)

Just a heads up that due to popularity and me not wanting to really speed things up I am already booked till almost November. I figure that within the next few weeks or maybe days I'll be booked till the snow flies once again.

Still doing customer boards for late season and then I can get to a few protos that I have been wanting to get at including the 160 ish Zamboni that will smooth out all ice. I hope:)

BV

Haha, yes, on paper 13.7m to 17m and 20mm taper does not quite compute to me, but in practice with the right flex pattern obviously more is possible than I previously thought.

Ridden a Kessler KST, and also a 14/20 NSR 187. The 13.7/17 NSR 185 is my favorite of the 3 as it is simply the most versatile.

Ridden a Kessler KST, and also a 14/20 NSR 187. The 13.7/17 NSR 185 is my favorite of the 3 as it is simply the most versatile.

Bruce also mentioned a slightly turnier 182 NSR that he likes better, but I fell in love with the 185 so that's what I want. I'm also getting a Kessler to compare (assuming they'll excuse my lack of FIS ranking).

Just a heads up that due to popularity and me not wanting to really speed things up I am already booked till almost November. I figure that within the next few weeks or maybe days I'll be booked till the snow flies once again.

Still doing customer boards for late season and then I can get to a few protos that I have been wanting to get at including the 160 ish Zamboni that will smooth out all ice. I hope:)

BV

BV, you need an apprentice!!

Hope I can test the 160Z this season somehow.

Hope I can test the 160Z this season somehow.

If your season ends too early, book a Portland to Portland plane ticket in June, and I'll meet you at Timberline. It'll be bulletproof for the first few hours every morning due to all the salting - and sometimes the grooming is iffy as well - perfect test conditions! I'd love to test the 160Z as well.

If your season ends too early, book a Portland to Portland plane ticket in June, and I'll meet you at Timberline. It'll be bulletproof for the first few hours every morning due to all the salting - and sometimes the grooming is iffy as well - perfect test conditions! I'd love to test the 160Z as well.

Sweet! It's not slopeside (about an 80-minute drive to T-line), and you won't mistake it for the Hyatt, but my wife and I could find some room for you two at our place in Portland if you're coming to ride T-line this spring. Spring season tickets (good from now until late May) are $99.

On paper there are some boards designs that don't compute, but when you ride one or see how it performs it all comes clear.

Glad you liked the board you got to try. The boards coming out now are SOOOOO much better than a few years ago. Sometimes you get on a board and it feels like you are cheating.

If your season ends too early, book a Portland to Portland plane ticket in June, and I'll meet you at Timberline.

Absolutely! Right after I win Powerball!!

On paper there are some boards designs that don't compute, but when you ride one or see how it performs it all comes clear.

Glad you liked the board you got to try. The boards coming out now are SOOOOO much better than a few years ago. Sometimes you get on a board and it feels like you are cheating.

Indeed. This was beyond cheating, it was bizarre. Two other hardbooters called it quits before noon, and when I met up with my parents around 10am they were like "conditions must not be good for carving, eh?", but I was having a banner day. Would have been a 158 day otherwise.

Jack you keep convincing your self that you don't need the 158 !!! pull the trigger... what ya waiting for..

trigger is pulled! I'm on the list for a 185NSR. Now just waiting for the 160 proto to arrive. looks like next season... no worries. i know the 158 can be outdone...

Jack should post a more positive review that will really entice us to all buy another Coiler super-board! Wait...that's not possible.:rolleyes:

I'll be getting my 13.2m Stubby on Sunday, though...so I'm VERY excited. It's my first Coiler.

Thanks for the pic Ben - looks awesome!

can you describe the board - i.e. - it's design intention re: intended usage, terrain, rider ability, etc. Is it designed for race or free carve, and how does it compare to the Monster?

With all these new Coiler boards getting shown off here I'm trying to get a grip on what Bruce is up to and what I may want for myself.

Thanks much in advance! mpp

Ahhh, bought a barely used 182 NSRII in the fall. Fell in love with it on the 1st day of riding. Holds an edge so well, that I routinely "hip-out" in the snow (akin to boot out). So far, it's the only board I've owned that I can carve virtually hip to snow and chatter free on cat-tracked, see yourself in the mirror ice. I can't believe it holds an edge so well, even when I'm "on" that stuff. I'm not so sure that there's not a mini pair of Stihl chainsaws built into the edges! Haha! I've made it my every day board for our local east coast, 600' vert hill. :1luvu:

The board I bought was actually built for someone 40-45 lbs lighter than me. IMO, that makes for a great freecarve board on blues. But carving blacks, it starts to get chattery. (Tempted to order a stiffer one for my weight new for that reason.) The decambered nose makes it a dream to maneuver and skid turns on the flats, too. Much easier to steer at slower speeds than my 178 Oxygen Proton, which feels like a 2x8 unless carving.

While that ice slicing ability is fantastic, I wish it did have more pop between turns. For that reason alone, I still ride my Proton intermittently. Reputed as damp, the Proton still has more lively pop between turns than the NSR. But the Proton doesn't have near the edge hold, nor can I get as low as with the NSR.

Just finished up the season last weekend, splitting my time between both boards. Thin corn over thawing ice, with random bare ice mixed in between. Coiler handled it all like a dream. Too easy almost. Proton made me work more, chattered alot more, couldn't get as low, and found myself laying my hand down not in deft touch, but to stay on my feet. But it offered some pleasant, lively and aggessive pop in the transitions.

The NSR seems to have alot of setback relative to other boards. I wonder if shifting the bindings forward slightly would allow it to turn tighter on hard stuff and maybe boost that pop. I should play with that next season. Trouble is I'm more of a set it and forget it type.

Besides the regular, "What the h*** is that thing?", questions in the lift line, I had a skiier kind of entralled by my NSR the other weekend. He apparently tried to follow my line and caught up with me on the lift, asking "How do you carve like that? I just couldn't follow you!" (This to Joe Average hardbooter ?!?!)

Some stuff from this season...

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v81/AKinPA/Winter/9026320c.flv">

The big decambered nose really makes a difference. With this feature, the nose works with the sidecut, not against it. ... The board would simply carve over seemingly anything. I can really understand why this geometry helps in a rutty race course. The Schtubbies have this too, but not quite as much.

It definitely does. Prior Metal has a bit and it works for easy initiation. Virus Vampire has a lot more and works even better in crappy stuff.

I was astonished by abillity of Kessler SL to act as all-mountain board. Roy floted nicelly in few inches of fresh, I did the double black moguls like there was no tomorrow. I guess that huge taper is also a factor. Not to crazy about it (big taper) for just carving, though.

However, the GS is a rocketship. I really need to take it to Whistler to do it the full justice...

BTW, if your quest for Kessler turned out unsuccessfull, I could send you mine for test ride next season, in exchange for a test ride of Schtubby M ;)