Note to New Members ×

Which kind of rider are YOU?

SWriverstone

On an empty, perfect slope, which kind of rider are YOU?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. On an empty, perfect slope, which kind of rider are YOU?

• The Bomber
    • The Hula Dancer
    • The EC Hero
    • The Hazard
    • Honestly, a mix of styles!

If you had to pick ONE of the 4 styles to do...on a PERFECT GROOMER....with NOBODY ELSE ON THE SLOPE...on a MODERATELY WIDE & STEEP BLUE...on your BEST day ever...which one would it be?

;)

Scott

Don't put me in a box man. The perfect run would allow for freestyle interpretation, speed, skimming snow without touching and then throw in a few laydowns just for an exclamation point.

See it's not so hard to do all.:biggthump

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, my goal on this perfect run would be to do all of them within the same run. Each style is fun in it's own way, a really good rider could do anything they want at any time. I'd want to add a near-EC style in there, where you get low but don't quite touch the snow with anything but your edge.

On a shallow pitch I go for the slalom style. On a typical blue I go for as much lean as I can until I start losing the edge. On a black I usually do the same as on blue runs but chicken out and slide to scrub speed. On first tracks at Ajax on Friday morning I just folded the nose in the soft stuff and slid out on the hard stuff. :) Both resulting in fairly fast belly/back/shoulder slides. :D

I was curious if you were going to post on this Gecko. Guess all that gyrating spills into snowboarding for you.

some but remember I also DH which is all about the Tuck....the combination of the two gives me a lot of comfort initiating turns and lucky me no major bails

...on a PERFECT GROOMER.......on a MODERATELY WIDE & STEEP BLUE...

A "perfect groomer" would not be a "moderately wide and steep blue".

;)

If I was on a trail that had consistent pitch, width and groom the whole way down, I would do the style that I felt like doing for said trail. The reality is that most trails change and/or we take detours to other trails on the way down. With different trails comes different turns. With different parts of trails (diff. pitch, width etc.) comes different turns - for me anyway. The mountain is my playground. I like bumps, steeps, rails, pipe, jumps, switch etc. I would say that I am a mix of styles, but I am a mix of a lot more styles than you have listed.

Honestly, Scott, I am not trying to be difficult. :biggthump

I was curious if you were going to post on this Gecko. Guess all that gyrating spills into snowboarding for you.

I do a lot of slalom skateboarding, and personally, I like to do things on a snowboard that you cant on a skate. I like to really dig the edge in and lean over and feel the G`s. You can get that kind of grip from a skateboard.

On the other hand, you cant go edge to edge as fast on a snowboard as you can on a slalom skate. I find myself getting disappointed at how long the turn transfers take when im trying to do the HULA style compared to my Pavel skateboards.

There are lots of parallels between the two though.

Also Gecko makes a good point about DH, I think that helps a lot mentally.

...on a MODERATELY WIDE & STEEP BLUE...on your BEST day ever...which one would it be?

Hey, you mouved the goal posts! Originally it was "ideal conditions", which would mean ideal pitch and snow conditions for the particular rider, so I thought I was riding a mild wide BLACK with few rollers on hero groom ;)

Hey, you mouved the goal posts! Originally it was "ideal conditions", which would mean ideal pitch and snow conditions for the particular rider, so I thought I was riding a mild wide BLACK with few rollers on hero groom ;)

Yeah, good point. I was just trying to draw some folks out. I mean, a common answer is "I do what the slope dictates." Huh? You let the slope push you around? Are you saying you can't hula dance down steep blacks? Or can't do hero EC turns on a green? What the heck's wrong with you? ;)

Seriously—I always assumed truly great riders can ride ANY style on ANY slope...and don't let the slope tell them what to do. :)

Scott

You let the slope push you around? Are you saying you can't hula dance down steep blacks?

Scott

Or can't do hero EC turns on a green?

No I can't because the displacement of the snow with my incredibly sharp and well tuned edges and my massive legs, coupled with the friction of EC and the lack of speed being generated on a green means that I

Stop.

Seriously—I always assumed truly great riders can ride ANY style on ANY slope...and don't let the slope tell them what to do. :)

I am not truly great, but I smell pretty bad at the end of a hard day.

Gravity tells me what to do. The slope is merely the plane of interaction on the way down.

I would Love to see some wind tunnel vid of snowboard tucks.

ski tuck is old hat

On long up hill ridge runs or flat cat tracks I always put the trailing hand in the small of the back, and the lead hand in front of the the leading leg, this seems to keep the sleeve flapping to a minimum.

ski tuck is old hat

On long up hill ridge runs or flat cat tracks I always put the trailing hand in the small of the back, and the lead hand in front of the the leading leg, this seems to keep the sleeve flapping to a minimum.

I do that too. Trailing hand on trailing hip/ leading hand hand on leading knee, elbow leading.

The music made me do it-shouldn't have been listening to Tool on max auditory level-Did a new variation on toilet seat heelside turn on Narrow Gauge. It's called the "catch heelside, get in full-on backseat wheelie and reach for oh-shi* bar" position. Did that the other day, felt stupid, reined it in a bit and remembered that there's still alot of winter left-don't be a mo-ron and remember my body don't flex like I'm 20 no mo.

That's classic carvedog—you officially made my signature! :biggthump

Scott

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Gravity tells me what to do. The slope is merely the plane of interaction on the way down. —carvedog

carvedog.... seriously..... put that sh%$ on a tshirt and send me an XL...... i'm in.

carvinsno

ski tuck is old hat

I do that too. Trailing hand on trailing hip/ leading hand hand on leading knee, elbow leading.

Kevin is a big guy but his tuck is really good for his size hands holding the butt chest on knee legs, legs closed to reduce drag low as possible some of this will apply to snowboarding

475team-Kevin-Reimer-aka-Kr.jpg

heelside turn

Kevin_germany.jpg

Toeside

pic_0087.jpg