Note to New Members ×

Metal Magnets

Louis

This is really what those boards are !

I finally steped up to the next level (some could argue over that but w/e) and my very own metal coiler has arrived at home.

It was love at first sight, unfortunately I did not go with custom graphics, but the clean white look with the ghost red logo really looks nice.

The craftsmanship is impressive I can't imagine how one man can do such a beautifull board alone.

It is a Stubby ...

171 cm,

155 cm running lenght,

21 cm waist,

13.2 m radius,

4mm taper

I'm also slapping some F2 titanium on it

I just need some new boots now :eplus2:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh well, student budget already having a ferrari is good for me, i'll get some new bindings another time...

But Bruce did recommend me to take those ones, since they are softer and it seems like the trend would be to use softer bindings on metal boards. I'd love to put some TD3's though.

I'm taking it out for a test ride this weekend, will do tuning after :)

I think I was a little bit disapointed when I received the F2 I expected something else I guess.

I think they are not as pretty as the other binding, but as long as they do the job.. I had burton race bindings on my Burton Speed, I guess the F2 are superior to those at least.

that's like putting all-seasons on a Ferrari. :rolleyes:

Strongly disagreed. My collection of Coiler metals rides better with F2's than TD2's for sure, they're all wide enough that I use angles in the high 40's to lower 50's and the little bit of lateral roll is very nice at those lower angles.

I will try my brand spanking new TD3s out on these decks but I predict, based on a little carpet surfing, that they are going to stay on my skinny Madd until Fin releases the much-discussed racer enhancement to the public.

A rig that is super responsive toe/heel and a little less so side/side, with angles of about 50, *really* "feels like snowboarding again"... with no loss of carving performance whatsoever.

Funny Jack, F2s are a good binding for someone on a student budget?

Bruce recommended we ride F2s on Coilers just like he did for Louis. Money is not an issue for us.

Billy Bordy tried to get us on F2s and off of TD2s for a couple of years before we tried the F2s.

Once we did a head to head test between the F2s and the TD2s, we sold all 5 pairs of TD2s that night and bought all F2s. The added flex of the F2s gave us an instant improvement to our riding. Bruce and Billy were right for us.

While Bombers are a beautiful binding, the ride of Bombers is not for everyone (nor is the ride of the F2s). I am glad you like yours TD3s so much Jack. It is always nice to find what works so well for the individual.

I am interested in trying the unreleased race version of the TD3. It sounds like Fin has done a great job creating a binding that has more flex than the current Bombers. Perhaps we will be on a Bomber binding again in the future.

Enjoy the Coiler Louis! You might prefer TD3s, but don't be surprised if you really like the F2s.

Buell

With all due respect, I want to ask how you are supposed to make precision moves and maintain balance with your foot wobbling side to side?

Balance. If you need to rely on your bindings that much for positioning, I would say you need to work on your balance.

Balance. If you need to rely on your bindings that much for positioning, I would say you need to work on your balance.

I rely on bindings for response. We make balance corrections by making subtle subconscious movements against the boot cuff. The less response we have from the boot cuff, the bigger the movement we have to make. And then it becomes less subconscious and more deliberate.

I could make an argument in a similar vein as yours like "if you need slop in your bindings then..." but I'll get skewered again.

I rely on bindings for response. We make balance corrections by making subtle subconscious movements against the boot cuff. The less response we have from the boot cuff, the bigger the movement we have to make. And then it becomes less subconscious and more deliberate.

I could make an argument in a similar vein as yours like "if you need slop in your bindings then..." but I'll get skewered again.

Good point. NEED is the key word. In either aspect, if you NEED a particular setup (unless you have a physical limitation), there is an issue to work on.....

We LIKE our setups.:D

With all due respect, I want to ask how you are supposed to make precision moves and maintain balance with your foot wobbling side to side?

I guess I'll see what the TD3-R is like, but I predict I won't like it.

Any one of the pro racers who have been using F2 or Burton for years and perhaps now rides TD3-R is probably going to give you a much, much better answer than I can but I will try anyway.

There is no "wobbling from side to side". And it's not rolling either, I should have used a different word. It's simply that movement along the side to side axis doesn't have unintended consequences of say kinking the board between the feet. When I make a deliberate movement to change edges, the response is just as strong and instant as it is with TD2. But if I have to regain my balance 'cause I'm riding groom that is ridgy as shown below (45* at the top, 25* at the bottom - fun!) then it's nice to have balance-regaining movements NOT affect the arc of the board so much. Trust me when I want response I have no trouble getting it... I just don't get unwanted response!

I know I've said this before but it is worth saying again: I find Burtons and F2 Carve RS's too sloppy all around. And I prefer TD2s on skinny boards where angles are high 50's and up because at those angles side/side response trumps everything I was talking about above for me. You said you're "down to 57ish" so I am not surprised if you don't wind up liking TD3-R. But... given what you said on the boots thread, try borrowing a smaller shell from someone and setting up angles around 50 on your Schtub. It may, or may not, be an enlightening experience.

Wow, I don't know that we have ridden the same F2s. Wobbling side to side? Is this how the racers get down the course at the speeds they are traveling and with the forces that they put on the boards and bindings? They make some amazing precision moves and manage to put the board where the course tells them to go.

Flex and sloppy are not the same thing to many riders. If they are to you, Jack, that is where the Bombers excel and you have found your binding. It seems insanely narrow to say that all the carvers and racers that prefer to ride F2s don't know what they are talking about and are "wobbling side to side".

... I haven't ridden them. ...

Come to SQS in late March and you can ride F2 bindings. I'll bring you the Race Ti and the INTEC™ Ti to test back to back with your TD3 standard and step-in. I'd prefer that you use INTEC™ hard adapters on your boots when using the F2 INTEC™ Ti bindings (edit) though.

I dunno, I'm just going on what people have said about the F2's being flexible side to side. I haven't ridden them. I have ridden Burtons after TDs, and those are scary. I'm not saying anyone doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's been a LONG time since I've been on Burtons but the pair I was on maybe 5 years ago felt kinda scary too. I tried a pair of F2 Carve RS's on Coiler AM last year and they were scary too... a little scary carving and a lot scary hitting the Pinnacles at Bachelor where I felt like I lacked control.

F2 Race Titaniums in no way feel scary, they are pretty solid. Just not so solid side/side that hitting a bump and finding yourself out of position for a moment screws up your turn. :cool:

This is the best I can do to explain beyond saying "they just feel right". High-level racers seem to think "it just feels right" too, and I think I gotta leave better explanations to them :)

Purportedly as people get older they become more ridged and inflexible in their views as well as their physicality and that may be why some people need to have very ridgid bindings and have less tolerance for other's opinions.

I think it vice versa, when i'm getting older i see daily more need for more flexing bindings to correct my riding errors :rolleyes:

I'm 99% certain I can't make it to the SQS :(

I think the TD3-R will probably be a good comparison.

It's funny... the guy who helped me with my carving thinks that TD2s with red e-rings are hopelessly flexy. He makes his own one-off TD2 look-alikes with his own Bridgeport mill.