Note to New Members ×

Anyone seen this??? "The Whip"

MUD

Quote from the FAQ page:

Q: What is it made of?

A: The board (OVH) is made of wool, plastic, steel edges and carbon composite. No dampening rubber sheet is added because of the spider back suspensions (SBS) takes care of all chatters. The SBS is constructed with carbon composite.

Mmmm, must be warm on a cold day with that wool inside.

Ink

It says that the purpose of the center opening is to reduce drag by reducing the amount of surface in contact with the snow. I'm not sure I buy this. Also, it seems like the opening would serve as a scoop in softer snow and scoop up snow, causing more drag.

It also says that the arms of the spiders direct more force to the edges of the board, allowing quicker tighter turning. But looking at how they mount to the board edge in multiple places I have a hard time picturing how this is better.

It also seems like that complicated spider assembly would get packed with snow and make the board really heavy.

Yes, I'm 98% sure that the idea of less surface area=less drag=a faster board is completely backwards. (Need Doug Dryer to chime in to be 100% positive. :) )

And the scoop effect of snow getting stuck/pulled in the opening wouldn't help either.

Finally, doesn't the way that the spiders are mounted screw up the board flex? They look like a pretty rigid design, with no flex built in, but if they don't flex the same way as a derby plate or snowstix, won't it lead to a non-flexing board?

An all-mountain freeride board that's explicitly not capable of riding deep powder...umm, yeah, that sounds like a winner!

-----------------

Whoops, I see that Pow beat me to questioning the effectiveness of the spider. Well...what Pow said!

after reading up on it, i really dont think that spider's gonna help the board flex right even if the spider is designed to flex because unlike the anton glider there is no component underneath the spider to pressure the board into a decamber... so hows the board gonna bend? (what dan said) and the edges of the center cutout are raised higher than the board's edges to "make edge changes quicker and smoother"!! wouldnt this make edge changes slower and more awkward? and wouldnt you wind up getting tripped up on wierd inside edges? And why are the nose and tail blunt? i cant wait to see this one in action :lurk:

Snowboards...another case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think we need to get this guy on Bomber, the thread will be no different from dropping a Deuce....snowboard.

My first day snowboarding, my dad and I were on the lift. He told me I really should get into skiing, as skis perform better on the crap ice we have at night down here; snowboards performed in powder, not on ice. I still agree with this statement for most softboot boards, but now this completely defeats the purpose. Too expensive to trash in the park, doesn't float in pow, and likely "carves" like any other softie board ridden by the majority of softie riders.

It is doubtful he would want to post here just so you can beat up on him.

I don't want to beat up on him. I posted a bunch of questions on his wall on facebook. Legitimate questions that came up by just looking at the way the suspension was mounted to the board. Someone must have tested this thing out to determine viability and functionality. I have to believe that it must be able to be ridden. But I would say it looks like it rides different than much of what we ride here. I think a vid of someone riding it would answer a ton of the questions out there.

D.:biggthump

Got an e-mail back. Seems like a nice guy, definitely cool he expresses interest in alpine.

"Hi Theo,

Thank you for your email and the link. I have read all the questions and discussions and tried to join in, but for whatever reason, I was unable to reply on the site. So here are answers to the questions. By the way, let me just apologize for the typo in our Q&A sections. We will correct it asap.

Before I answer any questions, I have to clarify that while the basic design of The Whip would work with any kind of boots, The Whip F-117 was designed to work with soft boots and regular bindings and this design will require riders to ride differently, much like the old school skis vs. the shape skis. And of course, we actually tested this board. We will eventually consider building a version for the hard boot riders in the future.

Here are the answers to some of the postings...

" there is no component underneath the spider to pressure the board into a decamber..."

This statement is incorrect. The support for the spider is in fact under the center of the spider. The arch shaped support transfers the energy of the rider directly to the edge of the board which not only helps the board bend, but actually helps the rider gets a better grip.

"the edges of the center cutout are raised higher than the board's edges to "make edge changes quicker and smoother"!! wouldnt this make edge changes slower and more awkward?"

The inner edges actually sits lower, which give the base a slight "V" shape, which also makes edge to edge quicker.

"you'd get launched to the moon if you loaded the tail"... We do not think that would be the case, however, when we said "jump higher", we mean it.

"it seems like the opening would serve as a scoop in softer snow and scoop up snow, causing more drag" Though the snow does build up a little as a rider starts to move form a standing start, once the board starts to move, however, the incoming snow are flatten by the tip of the board the rest of the snow quickly "jets" out from the back. Keep in mind this only happens when you are riding on the inner edges, whenever one turns, the opening actually help clearing out the snow build up.

"Is the spider itself flex or is it rigid?" The center part of the spider and the arch support, or the "Spider Back", is rigid, the "legs" of the spider however, is flexible. It is mounted so that the main points of pressure are under the riders foot, the other mounting points only kicks into action only after the board starts to bend.

"for $1899 it better come with a board concierge and a masseuse" Unfortunately, it does not. So why does it cost so much? Carbon fiber is expensive no matter where you buy it in the world. But there are other costs. We knew it would cost us at least 80% less had we decided to develop and build our board in China, but a decision was made to invest in the U.S. instead. Frankly, from a business stand point, it was perhaps not the best decision (in time we will see). But Cheetah Ultra Sports was not started by some rich businessman. It was started by a regular snowboarder who didn't just cry about how all the jobs are going overseas, he actually put his money where his mouth was. The cost, of curse, will eventually come down as we start to get larger orders. Who knows, as we develop more advance boards in the future, those first few boards may actually worth more down the road.

Hopefully, we have addressed all of the questions. Should you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Again, thank you for writing. Keep the questions coming.

Happy New Year,

C.C.

Cheetah Ultra Sports,

U.S.A"