Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

I am in for sunday.  Whilst getting a drywall screw inspection the other day, ski patroller/building inspector Ken invited the carving crew to a breakfast he is doing over at lift 5, the non connecting  connector lift,  both Saturday and sunday. 

Sorry to hear that Matt, man are we getting rickety. I was just thinking about you the other day and was wondering how you where doing, I was thinking you where ditching us 'cause we are a bunch of freaks ( not me, btw ). How is your rehab going? From recent experience, I have lost a shitload of strength in my left leg, and my fitness in general is not good.  I can at least get to the lift without stopping now, albeit slowly.  I will be doing a bbq this summer, so maybe we will see you then.

Stay sane,

mario

Edited by big mario

Sorry to hear about the injury Matt, but glad to hear you're healing!  Physical therapy is tough, but necessary!  Heal well and quickly and we'll save you some snow!  I experienced a minor pull of a gluteal muscle last Sunday avoiding Mario(who was avoiding a park monkey pylon), so I'll have to make the Sunday call tomorrow!  But, a couple of Mambo runs, followed by some inebriating nectar might be considered therapy!  Hmm...

Nice day today, though short for me due to a lack of fitness, which is getting better thank you very much as time progresses, and the madness accompanied by the invasion of the MLK holiday hordes. After some initial tailgate tinkering, got out on the Big Ass Virus today.  If the Monsta is a caddy, the virus is a twitchy, nervous Ferrari.  I mean that in a good way. You have to work, but damn, you are definitely rewarded for your efforts.

ArneBurner, Dusty Bottle, Odd Job(first place in his second gs race!) Odd Jobs college buddy Christian,esq., The Dude and myself lapped1 for a few, where I was complimented on the depth and general nastiness of my trenches.  Arne, Odd Job, Dusty Bottle and myself soon adjourned to the short bus, and hit the valley for the promise of empty chairs and lack of gapers over on switch back. We made it pretty unrideable  in about an hour, and retreated to the Rat for analgesic recovery drinks.

another fun bonus day, looking forward to some non holiday riding

mario

We may have lost some of the crew yesterday. 

Apparently James broke his ankle. I don't know any of the details. James / Mario - can you provide details?

Also, Mario got a text from Don that because of health issues, he may have to stay away from high-risk activities forever. Don / Mario - can you provide details?

Our crew is getting older (and smaller) without many new recruits. 

Hope things go OK for James & Don.

I found James in the patrol clinic. He thought that his right ankle injury was a sprain. He said he was trying to avoid a straight liner when he chattered out on a toeside turn. I found his car and drove it to the clinic. The patrol helped him down the stairs and got him to his car. He couldn't put weight on the ankle but could flex it. Told him use use left foot for breaking. We both left around 11:30 and found plenty of traffic. Hope he made it home OK.

• Like 1

It appears that I am at very high risk for "Pulmonary Embolisms". (Last July I had numerous clots appear in my right lung) "High risk" activities include anything that could result in a head injury. While taking blood thinners it doesn't take much of a head smack to be a life threating situation. From what info I can gather, even a light concussison can have repercussions that last up to a year, if not forever, or even death.

I stopped taking the blood thinners in November. As a result of recent blood tests now I'm told i need to take them forever. I have decided to finish out this season enjoying skiing/riding as usual, and hope for the best, (no clots). In March I'll start on the thinners again.

What this all means is no more hard carving... no more WFO dirt biking, no more draggin' parts on the street bike... Gettin' old SUCKS... 

I don't have to stop "living" I just have to keep the adrenelin needs in check.

Don

Feed the Addiction... :eplus2:

• Like 1

post-3319-0-01546400-1422399625_thumb.jppost-3319-0-70214600-1422399642_thumb.jp

Done for the Season!  Officially a fracture of the Medial Malleolus (inside lower tibia at the ankle)!  As stated above, avoiding a very close encounter with a two-plank straight-liner, mid-apex, toeside, stupidly huge chatter, a couple of last millisecond changes to no avail, ending in a very uneventful low-side!  Inventory revealed nothing but ankle injury!  Exemplary Patrollers and kudos to the EMS Staff at Loveland!  Crazy injury, much like the outcome of jumping off a roof!  According to the Doc, inside ankle injury is much better than outside!  Pain is a roller coaster at this point, but no luck obtaining substantial meds!  Hopefully only 2 weeks in cast, then boot for 6 more!  Should be all healed and belligerent, just in time for mountain bike season!  Special shout out to Arneburner for the Patrol Building exit and vehicle assist and also Big Mario and "The Dude" for the follow up!  The LCI Rocks!

Edited by Dusty Bottle

James - ouch!

On Richards just a couple of runs earlier I had a straightliner skier in a light blue jacket blow past me and scared the crap out of me. I wonder if it was the same guy?

The only upside is that I understand that soft tissue injuries can be worse than breaks because breaks can heal completely (sometimes sprains don't).

Too bad to end your season so early.

Heal completely.