Note to New Members ×

What to do about terrain parks?

newcarver

My local resort seems to be building a lot of new terrain parks all over the mountain. Not a big deal but they keep putting them on the good carving runs! They have reduced the width of some to 1/2 what they used to be :mad: What to do, what to do? Should I start jibbing on hard gear or something else?

Personally, I'd adapt. We've got big rollers and domes now due to intense snowmaking. It's fun to carve over the head of the dome and back down the other side.

Or, you could get on with the guys on the thread "killing jumping" and blame the resort for putting them in your way, potentially causing a hazard...

New Carver, I'm assuming that you are talking about T-ride. It is frustrating to see the terrain park on lower misty and the top of 5. But the really good carving is up off of 9 and on Milk run. Milk run is not open yet but Look Out has been good but the Plunge and Bushwacker are too soft yet. With all the snow we have been having the carving has been on hold for me to enjoy the powder.

But I feel the frustration as well. The powers that be don't seem to want to listen to us; at least that is my experience. Maybe they will get the real park up and running on See Forever and give us back Misty.

Lets try to hook up this winter.

Maybe he's talking about CB?

I noticed they had a park right in the middle of the Paradise Lift. I believe Ruby Chief paid the price on it's width to accomidate the park. That bit at the top of Ruby Chief was some of the most carve-a-licious terrain I've ever been on!!

Ah, I know that park at CB well. That's where I broke my back. I spend most of my time there carving under prospect lift now. It's awesome and it's empty.

Stay away from the terrain park. I've busted to many alpine boards in the park...I'm not allowing myself back in there. When you watch the jibbers go off the jumps you think, ah that doesn't look so bad until you launch off it with a stiff alpine deck and clear the jump and land in the flats. You get so much more pop off the jump with a carving deck.

The only thing this is still fun is carving a heelside in the halfpipe:D (that is if you can find a wall that isn't rock hard), until the jibbers chase you out of the park for laying a trench in their jump.

Stay away from the terrain park. I've busted to many alpine boards in the park...I'm not allowing myself back in there. When you watch the jibbers go off the jumps you think, ah that doesn't look so bad until you launch off it with a stiff alpine deck and clear the jump and land in the flats. You get so much more pop off the jump with a carving deck.

The only thing this is still fun is carving a heelside in the halfpipe:D (that is if you can find a wall that isn't rock hard), until the jibbers chase you out of the park for laying a trench in their jump.

Of course the upside to jumping is you get to try one of them fancy schmancy full rocker boards that all the kids are raving about!

The park is good for one or two high speed runs each day just so the jibbers can feel the love:1luvu:

massive trenches are a must here.

Who knows you might save one or two of them from gaper mediocrity if they are suitably impressed with your performance:eplus2:

Terrain Parks are the best thing to happen to ski resorts.

what else can attract 80% of the "snowboarders" into aconfined space and keep them there all day long?

to me it's genius. keep building the parks and keep the skidders out of my team's way!

Totally agree with you, it's a place for them and so they're not where we want to be and everybody is happy. I'd be bummed to lose a great carving run but maybe it's best to look at this differently and say "this is great!"

New Carver, I'm assuming that you are talking about T-ride. It is frustrating to see the terrain park on lower misty and the top of 5. But the really good carving is up off of 9 and on Milk run. Milk run is not open yet but Look Out has been good but the Plunge and Bushwacker are too soft yet. With all the snow we have been having the carving has been on hold for me to enjoy the powder.

But I feel the frustration as well. The powers that be don't seem to want to listen to us; at least that is my experience. Maybe they will get the real park up and running on See Forever and give us back Misty.

Lets try to hook up this winter.

You've hit the nail on the head. Those steep black runs are a bit too much for me right now. Just started carving last season and don't have the skills to handle them. Have ridden bushwacker with hardboots and an A/M board though. That was fun. The nice blue cruisers were great for me to learn on. There are a few other good ones too so its not that bad, but they sure did mess up a great run with Misty. I haven't had my hardgear out yet either since it is always powder. Have been carving with softies on some though. I hit the hill at least once a week, so let me know when you're on the hill and I'll try to meet up with you.

I spend about 9 runs out of 10 in the terrain parks. I love hitting jumps, carving is just the most fun way to get from one jump to the next. Since the rest of the park people just go straight from feature to feature, the parks generally don't get moguled out as quickly as the rest of the hill. So for me it's win-win.

use the park all you want on any setup

BUT

if not using the features in the park

and are carving around them

remember the hourglass around each feature(take off and landing)

1 its much bigger than we think

2 in that space the standard downhill rider priority does not apply

seem to be a huge issues with park cruisers :nono:

Terrain Parks are the best thing to happen to ski resorts.

what else can attract 80% of the "snowboarders" into aconfined space and keep them there all day long?

to me it's genius. keep building the parks and keep the skidders out of my team's way!

I'm not on a team, but I too enjoy how parks keep the rest of the runs a bit clearer... and yes, I hit the parks jumps some too.

I have noticed more and more how parks keep the jibbers to one trail. Somebody noted (in another thread) how some mountains have even created a dedicated lift for the park, so that jibbers don't straightline the rest of the mountain completely out of control just so they can get to the park -- I think that's key. Parks should probably have their own lifts to keep the jibbers off the main trails. Mt.Snow has taken this to the extreme and taken a whole lift/area of their mountain and dedicated it to the park -- the effect this has had is pretty remarkable! no jibbers on the rest of the mountain at all!!

Last year, towards the end of the season stratton set up a big park on their "sunriser supertrail" under the sunrise express trail. This is an excellent carving trail, and is usually desolate because the lift does not serve many options and is a somewhat short ride -- so I was bummed. But the thing is, there was plenty of carveable cord all over the park they had made and plenty of space to carve it with. I paid the 5$ for the special park pass, and had a BLAST carving up that untouched cord all day long. There is definitely some prime carving cord to be had in the parks becase the snow doesn't get scraped off there.

Also notably - the park is PRIME recruiting ground. Most jibbers have never seen us in action (particularly those who live in the park). I still run into all kinds of snowboarders who just have no idea what is attached to my feet. Most snowboarders never see us in action because they either see us on the lift, or they see us when they are in a crowd of other riders, when we can't carve and are waiting for them to pass. I really feel like carvers are phantoms on the mountain - we just don't get noticed by that many riders. I always make sure to carve down the liftline runs when they are good for carving, but that isn't always the case. Those that see us are impressed usually, but they are few. So, you know .... carving up the park could be pretty cool. Throw in some kicker hits with the carving and I'm sure you'll convert more than a few jibbers.