Note to New Members ×

Is it OK to skid?

hockey2

So you're not always going to have a wide groomer available, sometimes the trail is tight getting to the good stuff. Is it OK to skid like you would on a softboot board?

Seems like an odd question...

of course it's ok to skid. There are no carve police who will pull your ticket. I skid all the time to scrub speed (oh and cuz Im a terminal intermediate weekend warrior :))

I can usually avoid skidding on greens, but anything on a real blue in less than ideal snow will require equal parts skidding & carving for me.

Unless there's no one else around, ever, we're all gonna skid sometimes. (Im slippin)

how would we stop without skidding :)

part of the surfy style is the high speed power slide complete with fan tail, just hangin it out like a drift car racer , scrubbin a little speed. :eek:

Full Throttle, all the time

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMzZlVZEV_w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMzZlVZEV_w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Actually a great way to slow yourself is with the butt on heelsides. Helps to hide the skid. When you go down on the heelside let the edge disengage and slide on you back side a bit, slow down and re-set the edge.

The key is to keep your bodies momentum moving in the direction of the turn. Nobody will ever know.

IMG_4091.jpg

What is this "skid" technique that you are speaking of?? What works for me is to transition sharply to the downhill edge while board is perpendicular to the fall line, all the while, keeping shoulders squared down the hill and arms extended stiffly out in front. This way I can go from edge-to arms- to head -to edge-to a laid out eurostyle pose with a full body 360 slide down the hill. My carves look sweet! Like morse code almost. dash-dot-dot-dot dash.

Avoid, yet embrace, the slide.

Word, sliding sideways is just waaay too fun

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0gyoynMiQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0gyoynMiQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What is this "skid" technique that you are speaking of?? What works for me is to transition sharply to the downhill edge while board is perpendicular to the fall line, all the while, keeping shoulders squared down the hill and arms extended stiffly out in front. This way I can go from edge-to arms- to head -to edge-to a laid out eurostyle pose with a full body 360 slide down the hill. My carves look sweet! Like morse code almost. dash-dot-dot-dot dash.

dude...I am a little.uhh...red eyed right now and I was reading that all seriously like it was a technical paper on proper speed scrubbing...

whoa

I think its easier to just eurocarve myself to a stop. It can hide the fact that you are too tired to keep turning.

Very effective for speed control too, if you don't want to stop. A little harder to get back up after you slow down.

Yes, yes skid sometimes. Make sure you do toesides too. I have seen good carvers that had a good speed control skid on heels and nuthing on the toe side.

Actually a great way to slow yourself is with the butt on heelsides. Helps to hide the skid. When you go down on the heelside let the edge disengage and slide on you back side a bit, slow down and re-set the edge.

The key is to keep your bodies momentum moving in the direction of the turn. Nobody will ever know.

ROTFLMAO! I am glad to know that I am not the only one to have perfected that move :lol:

dude...I am a little.uhh...red eyed right now and I was reading that all seriously like it was a technical paper on proper speed scrubbing...

whoa

don't hold the inhale quite as long and only hit it once or twice during technical reading type situations:eplus2:

You carve you carve you carve, never skid not even on ice...

^who was it that said that? was I even born then? idk, i hate having to skid, but i do it cuz i suck still:freak3: mainly when im out of my comfort zone going fast on a small board in icy conditions at night without having seen anybody since i started down the mountain... creepy:barf: