Note to New Members ×

How often do you take the liners out of your boots?

MUD

I usually pull the liners on raichles & blax & ski boots if I'm going to use them the next day or so, especially on wet snow days

I've stopped putting the thermo flex on boot driers that use heat, I feel that it deteriates the remoldability, they dry nicely on the coat tree over night.

Often take the foot bed out even when I leave the liners in.

On boots that have difficult liners to get out, I leave the liners in but crumple up balls of newspaper and stuff them in after every day of riding.

It's a trick that a ski patroller at Jackson Hole showed me ten years ago.

The newspaper wicks up all of the moisture inside of the liners- usually by the next morning they're GTG.

On boots that have difficult liners to get out, I leave the liners in but crumple up balls of newspaper and stuff them in after every day of riding.

It's a trick that a ski patroller at Jackson Hole showed me ten years ago.

The newspaper wicks up all of the moisture inside of the liners- usually by the next morning they're GTG.

Wow - that's a brilliant idea! I'm never packing boot dryers again.

I don't know about removal, but for insertion - for a tough to insert liner/boot combination here is something that can be very helpful:

take a page out of an old magazine and slide it down the back of the boot before sliding in the liner - it will smooth out the ridges and other friction causing elements in the boot plastic, permitting you to slide the liner in smoothly and easily. I imagine you could permanently affix a piece of cloth or something in there for hard to remove liners.

Personally, I rarely remove mine.

I only take mine out to dry if I'm traveling and don't have access to a box fan. At home, I just lie my boots down in front of a box fan on "high" for a couple of hours. (i.e., boot openings facing the fan.) This dries them out perfectly, and I don't have to use heat -- like b0ardski I'm also a little leery of how that would affect the moldable liners.

I lived in Whistler for six years (100+ days on snow a year) and took my boots liners out as soon as I got home after every day on the hill. I found water would sometimes collect in the void space beneath the footboards in both ski and (hard) snowboard boots. Burton fires' BTW.

later,

Dave R.

I take them out to try every time I come home from riding. With Raichles its trivial to get the liners out, UPZs take some wrestling. But as others have noted there's always water and/or snow in there. They get stinky enough as it is, I'm sure they'd reek more and faster otherwise.

I use to do it every time I rode with my winds. Top cuff finally tore loose and stopped me from doing it any more. I now have Indies with thermoflex, no issues pulling the liner apart. If I have my boot dryer, (The convection type, very little heat) I don't pull them. If not, I have to pull them or they will be soaking wet the next morning.

Nordica SBH's I had 2 sets of liners, always pulled out the dank and replaced with dry and fresh ie always had a pair drying. If I slam them in there hard and quick enough it's a bloody knuckle or 2, ya get used to it :rolleyes:

Now, I'm dialing in Head Stratos, not as easy to remove the bladders.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcdd05Y914&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcdd05Y914&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

+1 on swapping liners.

I use the Peet convection drier too.

But if left over night the liner gets pretty warm; warm enough to soften the thermo foam material. This is why I've started air drying or using a hair drier on no heat setting for moldable liners.

Convection works great on the inside of the liner but can leave the outside of the liner wet after a heavy snow day. Snow inbetween the shell & liner may be more of an issue with older SB series Raichles because of the way the tongue overlaps at the ankle, but the liners come out easily.

My 1st Raichles got rust & corrosion built up on the Tnuts under the foot plate before I realized how much snow gets into the shell.

My blax/heads are harder to remove but after seeing rusty Tnuts I always pull them after wet days.