Note to New Members ×

Po folks have po ways

photodad2001

But I just picked up a side job that's going to pay big. Now I just recently bought a used F2 off ebay, but when I got it, I discovered that the 19.5 waist that it was listed as was an 18. Me not like the skinny waist. I've already sold it at about 90 percent of what I paid for it. Now I have to find a new ride. As most of you know I have an ethic of not paying more than 500 bucks for a board. Now with that said I have seen 2 boards, new even, that qualify. Board one. Donek Pilot 172 here on BOL. I do have a question though. The specs given here show a waist width of 21.5, but on the Donek site they say 18.5. Are the Pilots being sold here wider? Option 2. A new Burton (OK, I'm going to ignore certain opinions) 2005 R17 Addicted 178. I've read the specs and I am a bigger guy, 240 lbs., and black graphic, along with my Burton bindings would make a nice match. About me, Big guy, aggressive carver, small mountain, I ride angles less than 60 degrees, and I only get out about 2-3 times a week. Prefered beer is Bitburger and i like being on top.:)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the Pilot is WAY too soft for you!!! Don't know about the R17.

What about these?

Steve's Proton 172

Nidecker 177

Fanman's FC2

Point being, there are lots of boards out there that meet your criteria and are worth considering.

Some nice looking stuff. But I won't start the job for a couple of weeks, and won't have the cash until mid December. I need a wide waist because of my feet and angles and I don't ussually see a lot of boards on here that wide so if I find something sold online where they have a burbage of them I put it in my faves. Thanks for the tip about the Pilot though.

D.T. is right about the pilot, look at the flex for that board on Donek's spec page. I weigh 200 and I would not set foot on it.

D.T.'s also right about finding a board. there are lot's of deals, you just need find them.

I know someone locally(SoVt) that has a "like new" condition Donek Axxess 172 w/blue topsheet. Said he was selling for $400. He may be willing to ship, if you're interrested.

D.T. is right about the pilot, look at the flex for that board on Donek's spec page. I weigh 200 and I would not set foot on it.

D.T.'s also right about finding a board. there are lot's of deals, you just need find them.

I know someone locally(SoVt) that has a "like new" condition Donek Axxess 172 w/blue topsheet. Said he was selling for $400. He may be willing to ship, if you're interrested.

Nice. I just looked at the Donek Spec page and that would be a great board if he still has it. Is it last years model? I've been wanting to buy new just because camber seems to wear out pretty quick with the hard carving guys. I've bought old freestyle boards with tons of camber because the people riding them only rode straight and skidded.

I know he still has it. It's a year or two old, not ridden much, looks brand new almost. I had it in my hands last week, nice board.

E-mail me(in my public profile here on BOL) with some contact info and I will have him contact you. I tried to e-mail you, but no e-mail option in your profile.

http://bomberonline.com/store/boards/Ogasaka_RCZ.cfm

straight from the man himself. only $429 for a brand new board. granted, i know nothing about them, but if Fin is willing to put it on his site and sell it, it's gotta be at least decent quality.

I'd personally like to try out the short slalom board they make for running on some black diamonds. Really crank the short small turns for controlling speed.

Watch the BOL classifieds like a hawk. There are a ton of great deals that pop up in there. I've yet to spend more than $400 on a board, new or used.

As for losing camber, most boards will be fine. Heck I bought a demo Donek at SES that has obviously been ridden hard for 2 or 3 years by a variety of riders, it still has great camber.

http://bomberonline.com/store/boards/Ogasaka_RCZ.cfm

straight from the man himself. only $429 for a brand new board. granted, i know nothing about them, but if Fin is willing to put it on his site and sell it, it's gotta be at least decent quality.

I'd personally like to try out the short slalom board they make for running on some black diamonds. Really crank the short small turns for controlling speed.

I've never heard of Ogasaka. Japanese company I take it. The 185 has more of the width I'm looking for, but with that length I might get 2 turns in before reaching the bottom. It'd be nice to have for my Snowshoe WV trip though.

Ogasaka is one of the primary board builders in Japan regardless of the brand most boards that are made in japan come out of the Ogasaka factory, nice boards very well respected and it's not uncommon to see a 50-60 something couple carving on matching Ogasaka's

I've never heard of Ogasaka. Japanese company I take it. The 185 has more of the width I'm looking for, but with that length I might get 2 turns in before reaching the bottom. It'd be nice to have for my Snowshoe WV trip though.

15.5 SCR, and you're a big guy. You'd have to have some small hills to pull off two turns.

At snoqualmie summit I've done many 3-4 turn runs with a 186cm board on 600-900 ft vertical.

That's straightlining with occasional edge changes. ;) I've had a lot of fun on an Oxygen 178 (~14m radius) on a 350' hill on a 3 cat-track-wide run. Even that consists of a minimum 10-15 turns.

The specs on Bomber's Pilot page are Axxess specs.

If you're trying to stick to a budget I definitely recommend buying used. Many people here, myself included, have been known to sell gear that has superficial wear only because we wanted to try something else, tried something else we like better, etc. There's good stuff coming up all the time. I myself sold a *metal* Coiler AM for under $500 6 months ago.

I have a Burton R17 Addicted. It is really soft. Way too soft for my over 200lb weight. Mine is a 154 that I use when my 10 yr old is on his alpine board and I need to be manoeuverable. It is very easy to ride, but I know that I can't push it hard without feeling like it will fold up. A lighter rider would have no issues with this board though.

D.:biggthump

I've ridden snowshoe, and on a 185 you may get a dozen or so good turns to the bottom if you stay on the westside.

At snoqualmie summit I've done many 3-4 turn runs with a 186cm board on 600-900 ft vertical.

The 2 turn comment was about my home hill (300 ft. verticle drop). Snowshoe is a 3 day weekend trip I'm taking after the first of the year.

That short? I'm a big guy, is that going to give me enough edge hold? I'll have to slow down. I love the Madd graphics though, classic and timeless.

I can ride one with no issues (6 ft 260)

get the f3 flex for sure.

they are narrow but seriously make the best of a small hill, most versitile board under 170 I can think of as far as a dedicated carver goes. What I mean by that is you can make both long turns and comma sized turns with it easily.

the learning curve on it will be steep, there are easier boards you could get to learn to ride alpine on but this board might be worth learning on if you're willing to put in the time. It really requires correct input to work, would teach you good habits but would also not be a choice for the meek. you'd really be jumping in with that board.

Since you have and love a softboot setup I'm assuming you're not looking for a carver that would be to do anything other than rip turns like a mad man.