Note to New Members ×

F2 S-Flex plates?

big canuck

Any feedback from those that have tried them? I'm Goiing to use them with TD2's, do I need a suspension kit too or is that overkill? Mounting to a 162 Kessler. Any input appreciated. Mounting tips? Never seen a pair, but I got some comin. Thanks.

K

it works alright, not nearly as dramatic as the hangl. if you want a plate and you're gonna drop that type of cash I'd go with a hangl or VIST if I did it over again

I'd suggest not using bombers at all, phiokka machos felt the best for me with all the plates. F2 is what the overwhelming majority of people I have seen with these plates ride.

• 1 year later...
Hello!

Does anybody know the weight (2 pieces) and dimensions of F2 S-FLEX plate!

Also weight of some other plates as HANGL, VIST, GERAB,.... would be intrested.

Thanks!

Mihi

not sure, the weight of the sflex is probably less than just the top plate on a hangl though.

Why? If it works for racing it will work for freecarving.

Yes, but... Hangl plates are heavy. When I tried a Kessler w/ Hangl, my legs got fired and my left ankle sore from riding the chair, and it felt like it took more energy to ride too. If I were riding 2 hrs / day it might not be a problem, but for a full day's freecarving, my experience is overall better with something not so heavy.

I've discussed plates with Bruce V a few times too, and he cautioned me that a plate might present additional injury risk in a crash... something I take to heart since I need to reduce the frequency of my carving-releated injuries.

Hello!

Does anybody know the weight (2 pieces) and dimensions of F2 S-FLEX plate!

Also weight of some other plates as HANGL, VIST, GERAB,.... would be intrested.

Thanks!

Mihi

Just measured weight, it is 453gram each. This is last year model, anyway.

So pair weights less than half of Vist (2200 grams), which is lighter than Hangl according my understanding.

the weight is a valid concern. I wonder if physical conditioning could offset it enough for full-day use. I believe there are racer-types and expert freecarvers using them for all-day freecarving.

I suspect that conditioning could offset it for me personally, but achieving that level of conditioning would require a career change.

• 9 months later...

I am interested by S-Flex for freecarving but need more information to know if it worth it.

How the S-flex exactly works to isolate the rider from the board (nothing on F2 website)?

What are the differences with other plate systems ?

Thank you

Silver

Silver,

Have not seen an F-Flex for a while but if it is still the same one I have seen it is a basic concept. The S-Flex isolates the rider from the board much like a rubber engine mount in a car. The simple way to envision it is there are two rigid pieces that have a piece of rubber bonded between them. You mount one side to the board the other to the binding. Now you have no "solid" connection to the board as the forces have to travel through the rubber piece.

What are the differences with other plate systems ?

Just about everything is different. The S-flex has very little in common with the current plate systems coming out. The biggest difference is the S-flex still allows the movement of each foot independent of each other as apposed to the new plate systems that completely remove the movement of the two bindings relative to each other.

Thank you fin!

Keeping the possibility to "pedal" and play with the board torsional flex may be wrong for racing but is it the case for freecarving?

And what is the difference between S-Flex and Sidewinders TD3 ? Should they be the same, it might be interesting for someone who want to benefit from such an isolating solution while chosing any bindings...

Silver

Thank you fin!

Keeping the possibility to "pedal" and play with the board torsional flex may be wrong for racing but is it the case for freecarving?

And what is the difference between S-Flex and Sidewinders TD3 ? Should they be the same, it might be interesting for someone who want to benefit from such an isolating solution while chosing any bindings...

Silver

ohhh boy!

"Movement relative to" are the key ingredients in a Plate, sidewinders and the S-Flex. The plate allows movement fore and aft ,the side winders almost but because you mount the bindings to your choosing 30 40 55 degrees whatever, you are not exactly in line with the movement of the travel of the board so the sensation is not exactly the same (you adapt to it) i think the S-Flex is just kind of soft in all directions so it's more of a cushion. If you are looking for a plate to peddle keep looking because so far the concensus seen to be a plate should be stiff i think that may change over time but for now it's firm. Stay tuned a plate with a hinged center is on the way i'll post when pictures become available.

Does the Hangl plate add stiffness to the board?

Yes, and No.

Several different ways to use a Hangl plate.

Technically Yes. It creates (at minimum) at stiffer section directly below the plate.

No, it allows the board to flex much like it does without the Hangl.

To further add to the mix, modify the Hangl and use a Tinkler plate.

Now the flex of the Tinkler plate and the movement of the Hangl change the dynamics.

Yes and No.