Note to New Members ×

Your thoughts on customer service issue

rhaskins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rhaskins, eaglez, ernie, etc...

I'm not trying to excuse Catek from anything, just trying to offer a little perspective. Something a new person to this sport may not have, and something a grumpy person may have lost.

Yes, they owe people communication. I agree, what is easier than email these days? We know Scott's deal, we don't know why Jeff is not responsive, but from my perspective there is no reason to not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Scamming alpine snowboarders would be a pretty ineffective get-rich-quick scheme. I assume the credit card charges are automated. I don't see Jeff or Scott personally sitting there "taking" people's money. They probably don't even know how many orders have come in lately.

Again not defending but I live in Rhode Island and given the present business environment I'm sure it's harder for Jeff this year than in the past given how tight capital/credit is. Spining up a CNC machine is not a cheap thing hence the reason Fin makes Boxer parts in the off season

edit no I don't know Jeff but guys I grew up with know him quite well and have never said anything but good things about him, have a little patience please

I sell 10,000 dozen softballs for Evil sports in a season. Now the price is only $55 a dozen but let me tell you, If someone bought a dozen and didn’t hear anything for 20 days I would be getting the biggest internet beatdown in the softball ball world.

No excuse here, if your infrastructure is in shambles,

They probably don't even know how many orders have come in lately.
DONT accept $ from people.
What do you think makes it "worth it" for Caron to make bindings? Because it's certainly not the money.
Sorry but Profitability or lack of is no excuse for poor performance.

rhaskins, eaglez, ernie, etc...

I'm not trying to excuse Catek from anything, just trying to offer a little perspective. Something a new person to this sport may not have, and something a grumpy person may have lost.

Yes, they owe people communication. I agree, what is easier than email these days? We know Scott's deal, we don't know why Jeff is not responsive, but from my perspective there is no reason to not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Scamming alpine snowboarders would be a pretty ineffective get-rich-quick scheme. I assume the credit card charges are automated. I don't see Jeff or Scott personally sitting there "taking" people's money. They probably don't even know how many orders have come in lately.

Catek might be a niche company but they are playing online with other companies who get the job done and take care of their customers. And customers have come to expect that level of service from a company that is in business. This is the "I expect everything now generation", and the internet has helped to facilitate that. So when a company is silent, yet still continues to process payments for product, people get rightfully scared. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, I have stated mine, others have stated theirs. As a new customer, what is someone to do if the company they just ordered from won't return communication? Just sit by and wait? Or type out and see if there are any other individuals that are seeing the same situation? They can't just walk into the store and demand the manager take care of the problem. In these trying economic times, everyone has a heightened awareness that a company might go under. Catek has done nothing to dispel those thoughts. One line on their website in red, like bomber, outlining their stocking/shipping expectations and this thread wouldn't need to exist.

D.:biggthump

I just want to be ready for the snow. Jack, some folks have not had communications since sometime in September. If Jeff kicked the bucket (just an example, don't get upset), his estate administrator would have even done something by now. I personally lov small businesses: you get them into a supply contract where you eventually are 90% of their business, then you squeeze them for price until they call uncle!!! Wait, that's Walley World. I will not shop at Walley World, ever, because of those tactics. It is just that the issues with Catek are outside of my experience dealing with small companies. It seems they have walled themselves off from the rest of the world somehow, for whatever reason, and one does not get a response unless there is an internet posting.

I would like to know the back story on this one. They have an excellent reputation up to now.

Rick

As a new customer, what is someone to do if the company they just ordered from won't return communication? Just sit by and wait?

I didn't say that.

Or type out and see if there are any other individuals that are seeing the same situation?

Yes. I'm not against that. I'm just against the hate and hysteria.

Didn't we go through this with Madd a few years ago? I remember people being upset about the quality of the boards and Madd-fans telling them they should be grateful that they were getting boards at all.

I'm on the side where if you can't deliver the goods and service, then you really shouldn't be in the business. Bomber, Donek, Prior and Coiler provide service above and beyond what would be expected from a big name. Last I checked, Bruce had one employee, yet, he manages.

We all vote with our wallets and Catek needs to come clean on what's going on or this thread will do them some damage.

I didn't say that.

Yes. I'm not against that. I'm just against the hate and hysteria.

I don't see hate and hysteria here. Maybe I should remove my "angryfire smileys" from my other post. I see people who have tried in vain to contact a company that has ignored them. And this is their last resort. The fact that they had to air the dirty laundry out in the open is Cateks fault, not the customers. Whether the ignorance is intentional or not is irrelavant. You have my money. I expect and deserve your attention, on my terms. Or shoot me a refund and I will spend my money elsewhere.

The fact that this thread has gone this long without a response from Catek to here or the customers directly speaks volumes.

There are some major business challenges that come upon small businesses, and success is one of them.

Success can easily break a company if they are not careful in how they choose to grow. By trying to work with what they have, Catek will keep their costs down and allow them to stay in business. If they would choose to buy a few more CAD machines, extra warehouse space, employees/training, and advertising, we could see them go out of business very quickly. As it is, we wait longer for explanation/feedback, but like others have said....we get the product.

The introduction of softboot bindings took Catek into a marketplace that sorely needed their product and they have grown astronomically because of it. Lets hope they continue to choose appropriate growth.

And....looking at this from another view.....lets hope they continue to make products for our niche as well. They could just decide to go softboot and then we'd all miss out.

[redacted by me].

I posted earlier this morning regarding my issues with Catek and some parts I have been trying to acquire for nearly two months. I've redacted my post because I don't think this thread does us (or our sport) any good, although I am upset about the situation to say the very least.

I heard from Scott this morning, and hope that Jeff is going to get the parts I desperately need before my upcoming Nov15th trip. I sincerely hope all is well at Catek, and that this is just a reflection of communication issues that they may be going through at the moment.

CATEK Products

Check out the selection of products at our website.

• CATEK Binding Spacers

• CATEK OS2 Plate Bindings

• CATEK FR2 Soft Bindings

• Kessler KST Race Boards

We know it's been a wait, and we appreciate everyone's patience as we're pushing to get product ready for the coming season. We've got OS2s piled up to the ceilings and extra hands in house helping to ship those piles of bindings out to customers. The first batch of bindings shipped on November 3rd and more are headed out each day.

We're also building more parts and getting more items in stock at the CATEK store. We're anodizing custom color parts so that you can grab the OS2s in whatever color combo fits your fancy. A new batch of Kessler SL, PGS and BX boards is nearing completion and will be heading our way this month. We've also started cutting metal for the new batch of Freeride 2 soft bindings, which will be available in early December.

So things are ramping up for the season here at CATEK. Again, thanks for everyone's patience. We apologize if you've had to wait for an order or just an answer to an email. We're working hard to get everyone's bindings out as quickly as possible, and we'll make every effort to answer any queries in a timely fashion. We'd also like to extend a hearty "thanks" to everyone who has called or emailed to lend a hand.

The temperatures are dropping, snow showers have started falling, and boxes of CATEK bindings are waiting for UPS to pick up. These classic harbingers of a new season haven't changed much since 1993 when we built our first bindings. Fifteen years later, we're still excited to be building our very best. Thanks to all of our customers over those years. We'll look for you on the mountain...that is, when we're not building more bindings.

Best regards,

Jeff and Scott at CATEK

www.catek.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the following link: Unsubscribe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caron Alpine Technologies, Inc.

PO Box 5111

Newport, Rhode Island 02841

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

hopefully this means things are getting better?

I just got the same email from Catek. That is all anyone was expecting. Even if it was just a post on the website, it shows people that there is activity behind the walls at Catek and their money hasn't evaporated. It is great that "they have got OS2's piled to the ceilings and extra hands in house". Sounds like it will be a good year for Catek.

Its good that you posted that letter, I bet it will make a few folks feel better.

But Like I said before, if your infrastructure is in shambles STOP accepting $$ from people. When we sell out of a certain style of Evil ball, I close that item and dont allow orders until I have shipping documents that the product will be in the warehouse in 10 days. Then and only then will I allow people to order and pay for that style#. It is posted clearly that its a Preorder and shipping is expected to begin on xxxxxxx date. You will receive tracking the day it ships.

Taking payments and leaving people with no info is not Gtg:freak3:

Unfortunately I have neither received a mail from Catek (regarding my OS2 standard order from early Oct) nor a shipment. Things seem to improve. They are good when the goodies arrive. Hoping the best for my trip in a week.

I think you have to be on their mailing list. You can do that by registering on their website. If you hit their site today, there is an update on the front page that is almost the same as the email sent out.

Didn't we go through this with Madd a few years ago? I remember people being upset about the quality of the boards and Madd-fans telling them they should be grateful that they were getting boards at all.

I was going to say the exact same thing, but you beat me to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Your thoughts on customer service issue.

I just have to throw something else in here.

You better hope they don't ship with FedEx. From my experience recently, FedEx has the WORST Customer Service that I have ever dealt with in 55 years of existance! I live in NJ, sent 2 boards to Ma. to be tuned. It took 2 days for them to get there, fine right. When they were done, they were shipped back to me on Nov. 18, 2008 with a Nov. 20, Delivery Date. Well today is Nov.27,2008 and still NO boards. They got turned around by the 'yahoos' at my local terminal in Pa, went back to the shop that tuned them, got refused there and turned around to come back to me and have been sitting in Ma.(according to tracking) ever since Nov.22 @ 7:13 AM!

Yes, I have called FedEx, 4-6 times a day every day since I seen the original glitch. Since I had Vacation this past week and was planning to ride, I've got all the time in the world to call FedEx. I've been promised' "they WILL be Delivered to you tomorrow morning" 3 times. Since they have to be signed for, the first time I waited, ALL DAY. After that is when I started to get smart and call instead of going by the tracking information on the computer. Everytime you call you get a different person and a different LIE. It's amazing how you can get a different story from every person you talk to when they all have the SAME information available to them. Yes, I've asked and finally reached Supervisor(s),( you CAN'T even get the same one of them, which makes it convienient for them to give you the old, " I'm not familiar with the case, I'll have to research it" routine EVERYTIME) etc. All they can say is sorry. Yes, this is one SORRY company. Even more so when it comes to Customer Service. At this point the NEW Scheduled for Delivery Date is 12-2-2008, 14 days from when the package was originally shipped for a shipment that 'should' have taken 2 days!

Maybe someone here works for FedEx and can give me a number of someone @ FedEx that cares? I DOUBT it (I don't think ANYONE there cares) but I'd try calling AGAIN.

At this point, all I can say is the boards better be in EXCELLENT condition IF & when they ever do arrive or you may be seeing me on the news! :smashfrea:AR15firin:smashfrea:AR15firin

I for one, will NEVER DEAL with FedEx again as long as I live. :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

Wow, I have never had that level of service from FedEx or any other carrier. Mostly ontime and undamaged.

I would like to ask a question about something you mentioned. You said that you sent boards to Mass for tuning. In the spirit of not wanting to complicate my life with variables beyond my control whenever possible, why would you FedEx snowboards to tuning shops that are states away from you? Are they that much better than your local board tuning shop? Do they have equipment or expertise that is not commonly and widely available? Maybe in Jersey you don't actually have boardshops, I don't know. But sending boards out and taking the risk of anything happening to them seems pointless to me. It is bad enough when you send one out that has been sold to someone. I worry the whole time it is in transit.

Sorry for the thread jack.