Note to New Members ×

Tinkler Sandman 200

svr

Not sure how many of you were following the thread on what is the ultimate powder board http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21525 but here is the secret project that I had discussed. the specs are:

custom swallowtail with 8mm rocker in the tip and 6mm rocker in the tail

Board Length 200cm

Effective Edge 168

Nose Width 31.5 cm

Waist Width 24 cm

Tail Width 29 cm

Insert Pattern Setback 5 cm from center

Optimal Stance 55 cm (for me)

Sidecut Radius 11-13 m

tail length 10 cm

nose length 22 cm

4 carbon fiber snow stix and an additional set of carbon stix for between the bindings.

Thanks to Bryan for inviting me to a great bbq at his place where I got to meet some great guys and gals from BOL and had the chance to meet Mike (Tinkler) and got to see his newest creation of a 187 rocker board for powder. Handling his newest design led to a discussion of merging the rocker design, a swallowtail, and combine both of those things with the shape of my normal boards (Rad-Air Tanker 200's). The result is this incredible tool that I cannot wait to get on the hill and try. I will follow up with a ride report when we finally get snow...bring on the snow!!! Thanks again Mike and Bryan. look forward to seeing you guys when I come back to visit and hopefully for OES.

cheers,

sandy

post-420-141842262681_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842262682_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842262683_thumb.jpg

Just curious...

Why so shallow with the cut of the swallowtail?

Having tried a pretty big variety of them, I've always liked the performance of the ones where the cut ran right up to the back binding, allowing the tail to really sink in in the deep stuff.

Regardless, that is a beautiful board and I look forward to hearing a ride report - and to living somewhere where I could use one again!

Just curious...

Why so shallow with the cut of the swallowtail?

Having tried a pretty big variety of them, I've always liked the performance of the ones where the cut ran right up to the back binding, allowing the tail to really sink in in the deep stuff.

Regardless, that is a beautiful board and I look forward to hearing a ride report - and to living somewhere where I could use one again!

yes, I'm on the same page

I decided to go shallow on the swallow after talking to Mike, it really did not make a huge amount of sense to take the swallow deeper as the board has rocker in the tip and tail which will drive the boards nose up even without any swallow. So we decided to go with a 25cm deep swallow combined with the rocker. I will let you know how it rides and maybe the next one will have more of a deeper/traditional swallow.

cheers,

sandy

Gecko, I will take it to Hokkaido (Niseko and Furano) as well, but it will probably see a lot of backcountry use in Nagano and Niigata.

cheers.

Gala Yuzawa and the resort if shares a peak with (Ishiuchi Maruyama?) were were nice as I remember.

Is the base flat between the bindings? Looks like it from the photos. Little to no "swallowtail" is needed with the rocker, Sandy and Mike have nailed this one nicely. Juices are flowing again, dagnabit!! Can't wait to see this one in person.

Yes Jon, it is flat between the bindings. I hope to make it up your way when i come to OES as well. It was funny that the original post on powder boards started about a week after this project was started. take care and pray for snow.

cheers,

sandy

Yes Jon, it is flat between the bindings. I hope to make it up your way when i come to OES as well. It was funny that the original post on powder boards started about a week after this project was started. take care and pray for snow.

cheers,

sandy

I may try to go down that way for part of OES, need to get outa this area once a year!

Glad I don't have to keep that secret anymore! Damn fine stick that "Tinkler Sandman 200". If it is cool with Sandy, I would like to build a gallery with the photos I took of it. Mike brought over another board (going to Europe) that he said the owner would not care if I posted. It too is a beauty.

Thanks for the update and photo Sandy. It is an amazing machine.

Bryan.

PS, Time to get your orders in if you want to ride a Tinkler this winter.

a tuneable powder board:1luvu:

maybe I should buy a lotto ticket, I think I need a sandman.

Love the shape, can't wait for the review:biggthump

Exactly, Tuneable is the key. Buy yours to YOUR specs :1luvu:

It is up to Sandy to decide if he wants to disclose the cost.

Allot, but less than I expected.

Bryan, of course you can post the pics and thanks again...I am looking forward to bringing it to OES and riding with everyone as well as partaking of a few fine beverages. The pics look good, but do not truly do the gold topsheet justice as it is much better in person. I have already started thinking of the next project I will ask Mike to build for me, but need to get a few days on the Sandman first. As for price, I will tell you it is not as bad as you think and will largely depend on what you want Mike to do for you. Just waiting for snow now so that I can get it in some good powder and am looking forward to tuning the board for multiple condtions. Pray for snow.

cheers,

sandy

Sandy,

If I didn't know what a great guy you are then I would have to kill you just out of pure jealousy :D

Be sure to post a trip report !

In fact forget the trip report... you have to go in the next Longboard Classic !

Cheers & beers,

Mick

Thanks Mick,

I plan to be there for the LBC again this year...should be a great trip as always. Look forward to seeing you again soon and hope you get back up to Tokyo again in the near future.

cheers,

sandy

but less than I expected must mean it was under $1,500 but over $1,000. Hmmm. Those last pics make that topsheet look SO cool! It woul look so good next to the 192 Tanker. SHHH, don't tell the wifey!

Hmm think of a Tinkler engineered 192 split and it might cost less than a venture divide custom .....

JIM