Note to New Members ×

OES March 5 - 8, 2009

SEJ

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people thid year will go so far? Last year about 55. Maybe 3 more Czechs from BA with me.

My guess is we have a slightly bigger session than least year... which was 50 folks total.

As far as clinics go, I will discuss with noschoolrider (Don). We need to figure out a way to make it work from a liability management perspective...

A few of us from up here are planning on it .One of whom will bring the median age down all by himself.Dillon is on a 167 Sims Carve 2 that I bought here and rides it like it was made for him.Great first, or second board in Dillon's case. Long enough to be fast and short enough to manage on our advanced runs,wide enough to cut through chop and for his size 10s.I recommend this board to low budget buyers but Dillon rides it like it cost alot more.Talented kid.Can't wait to see how good he'll be by the time he's old enough for me to buy him a beer after a hard day on the slopes:)

Mike, Buell , is there an online calendar or schedule for the OES?

Chans?

Thanks, Bryan

Bryan, the schedule will be posted as soon as it is complete. No Chan's this year... last year we were squeezed in there as tight as can be we appear to have a bigger group this year. So far we have:

Wednesday: Happy hour 6:00, location TBD.

Thursday: Carino's, 6:00

Friday: Cascade Lakes upstairs, 6:30

Saturday: My place, 6:30 or possibly move it to a convention room somewhere

Sunday: TBD

Bachelor's hours have changed, they open at 8:30 every day, so meet at 8:00 every day at Sunrise.

Chans?

Thanks, Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Chans is a must! Great Chinese food and last year...we had SOOOOO many dishes of food!!! Thanks for getting us the inside hookup last year, it was a feast.

Can we squeeze in a smaller Chan party? Tuesday night, March 3rd? Jim, Ron and I arrive Tuesday night and leave on Sunday. Let me know...

--Hugh

Hey Bryan,

Chans is a must! Great Chinese food and last year...we had SOOOOO many dishes of food!!! Thanks for getting us the inside hookup last year, it was a feast.

Can we squeeze in a smaller Chan party? Tuesday night, March 3rd? Jim, Ron and I arrive Tuesday night and leave on Sunday. Let me know...

--Hugh

Hugh, if you and Bryan want to organize a Chan's night on Tuesday the 3rd, that's totally cool :biggthump

Chans?

Thanks, Bryan

Hey Bryan,

How's the new leg holding up? Look forward to seeing you again, hopefully making some turns. Your time out gave me a chance to catch up....well maybe a little :biggthump ... or not...Needless to say I'm glad you're back!

Hey Bryan,

How's the new leg holding up? Look forward to seeing you again, hopefully making some turns. Your time out gave me a chance to catch up....well maybe a little :biggthump ... or not...Needless to say I'm glad you're back!

Thanks Al, that is sure kind of you to say:)

The leg is dong pretty good these days. Not as good as my spirit thought :biggthump Even riding a little and at a level a fair bit lower than I would like it to be is a HUGE boose to my spirits. It has been a tough year and the friends and kindness shown to me really made the difference.

Days like yesterday really "Pump me Up" . I look forward to meeting up again at OES. Bryan

Hey Bryan,

--Hugh

Hi Hugh, I agree!! I don't want to interfere with the OES Team's planning, however, I can put something smaller together perhaps before or after with pretty short notice? Chan is an old friend and never fails to provide excellent quality and quantity!!!

As long as they have space, one call will bring the Chinese Food Train to our tables. You obviously know what I mean having been there!!

Bryan

Bryan,

I just returned from an awesome 2-day SB session at Kirkwood with Jim F.

4 weeks to the OES!!! :AR15firin

Mike T. gave his blessing for us to coordinate a Chan's meetup. Tuesday sounds like the ticket.

Jim, Ron and Hugh for Chan's on Tuesday. Is this meetup a go?

--Hugh

Bryan,

Jim, Ron and Hugh for Chan's on Tuesday. Is this meetup a go?

--Hugh

Sounds good Hugh. I live 3.5 hours north of Bend, near Portland.

My schedule is still fluid. Not sure if I will be down there by Tuesday.

Possibly.

All it will really take is a phone call to Chan. He never lets me down.

Remind me as we get closer to the date please.

Thanks, Bryan

Sesame Beef!! :1luvu:

Sorry it took me so long guys. These people in events and hospitality are ssssllllooowwww. :angryfire

So I got a group rate with the Riverhouse for $79.00 a night. For March reservations thats a $15-$20 savings a night :biggthump. Its not official yet, but the agreement forms are in the mail as we speak.

For all those that still need to make reservations I will post as soon as it is official so you can get the OES rate.

For all of those that have already made reservations, please email me and I will make sure you have the OES rate. My email is as follows: quentinransone@mac.com

I would def. go to another Don session as well :)

I still have my string and promise I know my right from left this year :ices_ange

Hey Mike,

Any word on Don's carving clinic? I regret missing the sessions last year. I will be there Tue - Sat. :biggthump

4 weeks to OES: What has your Oregon season been like this year?

Coverage and grooming report needed...

Thanks,

Hugh

Coverage: good to excellent almost everywhere. Beverly Hills off of Summit has some rocks. If you carve down Boomerang (black diamond off of Outback chair) the rocks off to the right are exposed, so don't goo too far off the groom!

Grooming: some days have been steller and some have not. Quantity-wise, they've been hitting more runs than last season. Quality-wise, it seems to depend on the weather... cold days come out best, and during inversions when it stays 40* at the tops of the main lifts and is 20* in the base areas, the grooming has been iffy in places.

The long range forecast is for colder weather for the remainder of this month and into March - woohoo!!!

When all else fails, do laps on upper Carnival to lower I-5... and then enjoy the nice slow ride up Rainbow.

I will be speaking to the mountain manager at Bachelor and ask nicely if they can take extra care of our favorite runs. Last year they knew we weer coming and did a better-than-usual job with grooming.

Folks,

I regret to announce that there will be no clinics or formal instruction at OES. The costs of securing liability insurance for any type of instruction, clinics (or anything that involves race equipment is simply too high.) A participant offering a clinic even without my blessing could be used to void my insurance so we're just not going there.

Apologies to Don as well as those (including myself) who were looking forward to another clinic.

OES is still going to rock, and for those hoping to improve their skills, I have no doubt that you will learn plenty, it's looking like 50+ carvers of all sorts of ability levels, and riding technique will surely be a popular topic of conversation. As always, the loudest cheers will go to the beginners and intermediates who step up their game :biggthump