Note to New Members ×

Black Pearl Snowboards

freecarver

From EC site:

This are raceboards for slalom and giant slalom courses. With a prototype of them, last spring, the swiss GS-championship was won. (allover it was a secret project, up to the last days) The focus will also be at the growing Japanese market.

Stuff will be available only at direct order at a pricetag of SFr. 1300.-.

No items for sale to public poeple for this winter, orderings for 2009/2010 will be o.k.

reading it right now

Wow, this is big. Per the article that Dave Morgan posted the Schoch brothers have started their own snowboard construction in a workshop that they have always dreamed about opening some day. They have teamed up with Marc Iselin and are building boards. They are leaning on Marc Iselin experiences as a former ski builder. The boards will not be available to the public until the 2010/11 season.

The article mentions 3 board builders that all started in the Zurich area.

Kessler who is building their boards in the Austria in the Elan factory now

Oxess

Pureboarding, Jörg Egli is working on another "The One" board

The Schoch brothers, will open the their shop for one day this coming Saturday to the public and answers a lot of questions around their secret boards.

Ray please correct me if I interpreted some of this incorrectly.

OK, it's official... Kessler is dead, Black Pearl is new king!

Well, maybe not quite dead but looks like the Schoch brothers are working on a new project.

Hey and they have a halfway decent website as well!

slightly OT: from a photo on their site - check out this guy's boots:

dsc_0194.jpg

Those things must be STIFF as hell.

Wow, this is big. Per the article that Dave Morgan posted the Schoch brothers have started their own snowboard construction in a workshop that they have always dreamed about opening some day. They have teamed up with Marc Iselin and are building boards. They are leaning on Marc Iselin experiences as a former ski builder. The boards will not be available to the public until the 2010/11 season.

The article mentions 3 board builders that all started in the Zurich area.

Kessler who is building their boards in the Austria in the Elan factory now

Oxess

Pureboarding, Jörg Egli is working on another "The One" board

The Schoch brothers, will open the their shop for one day this coming Saturday to the public and answers a lot of questions around their secret boards.

Ray please correct me if I interpreted some of this incorrectly.

I'm not Ray, but let me shortly correct:

Yes, 3 boardbuilders in Zürich:

Schoch bros.

Jörg Egli, working on his third board (First one made by Kessler, second in austria at Elan, so Kessler is not producing @ Elan)

And third: Oxxess.

Cheers Max

Wow, this is big. Per the article that Dave Morgan posted the Schoch brothers have started their own snowboard construction in a workshop that they have always dreamed about opening some day.

So no more Kessler for the Schoch bros - wow! I'm sure Kessler is none too pleased.

This is very interesting. What will this mean for the WC racing community's mentality on board selection? If the Schochs fail to podium consistently on these boards, the boards will be gone in a year or two, and the Kessler parade marches on.

OR, if the Schochs continue their winning ways on these boards, and enough other people podium on them, we may see a paradigm shift to Black Pearl.

OR, if the Schochs win on BP but nobody else does... maybe that will cause racers to wonder if the board is not as big a factor in the equation as they thought, and we'll start to see some diversity again....???

So no more Kessler for the Schoch bros - wow! I'm sure Kessler is none too pleased.

The rumour mill was grinding out small tid-bits over past 2 seasons:

- Schoch brothers were not pleased that Kessler was releasing the 'latest' template designs to other WC contenders after the 2006 Olympics.

- Schoch brothers stopped providing detailed feedback to Kessler on current board designs.

- Kessler began to look for other riders to provide good feedback on design changes as seen here.

Hey, all rumours and speculation but I'd say this has been coming for a while. Jack has summed it up nicely with the 3 possible scenarios. We'll just have to wait and see.

As the matter of fact, wasnt the SG the overall WC winner last season?

Diversity is good it creates competition and technology moves forward.

I would love diversity. Unfortunately a kessler is seen on the podium and then all the sheep go and buy kesslers.

... Unfortunately a kessler is seen on the podium and then all the sheep go and buy kesslers.

Nothing wrong with being a sheep. Just be a smart sheep and recognize the difference between hype and innovation. Back up your sheep like activity with data. The so called "smart sheep" buy a Kessler then test, back to back over multiple runs on multiple courses, and determine the board does in fact help you get down the course faster, time and time again.

BlueB, you are correct. Benjamin Karl was riding SG along with Grabner, Fischnaller,and I think Vic Wild too.