99 members have voted

1. 1. Ultimate powder board

• Go big, ride a Tanker!
    • Swallowtail, baby!
    • Banana Hammock..??
    • Burton Fish
    • Shutup and riide, man!
    • Yet to be designed

Holy thread necromancers!!! I had almost forgotten about this one! My thoughts on this have changed some over the years. I think Stranda is onto some good things with the Bowlrider/Tree Surfer/Nallo shapes. My little 150 Arbor Cask has me believing in the volume shift, and the blunt pow nose is a good example of the thought process involved. Not sure I would take the Cask on a heli trip, or cat skiing, but 2 feet of resort pow is very easily done. I do know I don't need a huge board for most of what I do. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:52 PM, NateW said:

So, did anyone ever hardbooting powder on a fully rockered board? 

Never Summer Premier F-1 170, has center rocker, camber underfoot. Good float in real unconsolidated powder. Been riding this for 6-7 years. It could be narrower and still work. I would consider full rocker, and a stiffer profile underfoot. Perhaps a blunt pow nose like the Cask, and perhaps some sort of pow style tail, pintail maybe? Volume shifted and tapered for sure.

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 10:51 PM, barryj said:

Hey K!

Never saw your report on the side by side test of the Moss vs Swellpank...... 

Hey, Barry!

I've sold that brand new PQ to you, remember?) So i never had a chance to test it against the Swell...

And then i sold the Swell, also...

p.s. my vote for the best powder board goes to this one

can't wait for the 21-22 season😉

4F1545F4-3B21-42FA-B137-58017D4F89A2.jpeg

Edited by Karen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Oh yeah, I still got it and I'm back out in Tahoe working at Squaw this winter and plan to destroy some pow with that Moss PQ60! 

Still the best topsheet design among all pq's, imo 😉

Edited by Karen

13 hours ago, Karen said:

Still the best topsheet design among all pq's, imo 😉

Totally Agree!  ................and I've had at  least 3 other Moss PQ's to judge from!

Really trying to keep  this one fresh  as long as possible so I only bring it out for pow days and night runs at Boreal  Mtn. CA, and I've got this one protected  from the  Goobers in the Lift line with the 3m film.  It  starts to peel up at the nose after a long day but clear nail polish lays the edges back down just fine.

2017.png.37efc69efe3fcbbcd87587f54c43d232.png 

Edited by barryj

• 6 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread once again.

You may (or may not) recall that I was asking about a full rocker board for powder days... I didn't get full rocker but I did get this:

image.png.687e3832ae7e5625be722cf57fddfefc.png

This one is flat between the bindings with an early rise-nose and tail. The post-it notes were slid in from the ends until they wedged between the base and the concrete, to give some indication of where the nose and tail start to curve up. That floor isn't perfectly flat, but it's pretty close - after taking the picture I moved the post-it notes to the top sheet and looked down the edge of the board to double-check the positions of the post-its, and they're about right.

It's a product of RYM Experimentals, a small custom board builder in Washington State:

RYM Experimentals | Facebook

If you scroll back to November you'll see a familiar board. 🙂  

My regular do-everything board (as in, 90% of my runs for the last several years) is a Donek with the same length, width, and sidecut, but it's much stiffer, has camber, and has some early-rise to the nose and tail but not as much. The Donek has some flat sections that basically cause the nose and tail over hover a little bit when you stand on it to press the cambered section flat. Best snowboard ever. For everything but powder.

This was supposed to complement the Donek for powder days, but I like the new one so much I moved the bindings to the center and made it my daily driver. I'm still surprised by how much I like this board, because I was expecting the softer flex, no-camber profile, and relatively-short edge length to compromise the carving performance significantly. At very high edge angles ("extreme carving" style) it doesn't have the edge hold of my previous do-everything board, but the rest of the time it works just fine.

When riding with the base flat, it feels more neutral than I'm used to, presumably because of the short effective edge in that scenario. So it's very comfortable for straight-line travel.

And I can do butter tricks again. Butter tricks have been nearly impossible for me for for over a decade because my boards have been cambered and so stiff that it takes a lot of effort to lift one end of the board. So now I have something fun to do in the slow zones.

Unfortunately, when sighting down the edge to double-check the post-it notes, I also noticed a kink in the edge, behind the rear binding. I broke it already. This is not a RYM problem, this is a me problem. I still remember landing short on a large-ish jump on Wednesday with my weight too far back and wondering if I'd just broken my new board. It still rode fine so I breathed a sigh of relief a few turns later. Nope, I really did break it. Just barely. But, definitely. The top sheet buckled on either side of the rear binding, and if the light hits the base just right you can see a kink in it.

I've got two Coilers that broke in the same spot after roughly the same amount of time, and my previous Donek also broke in the same spot after a few years. And my current Donek is several years old and due for a preventative replacement. I'm pretty sure my Doneks only last longer because they're substantially stiffer.

So I'm going to ask RYM to build me another one... but stiffer.

Edited by NateW
  • Like 1