1. 1. Ultimate powder board

• Go big, ride a Tanker!
    • Swallowtail, baby!
    • Banana Hammock..??
    • Burton Fish
    • Shutup and riide, man!
    • Yet to be designed

Updated the quiver yesterday :)

The Phenix Carbon 183 has made its debut in the home quiver...

On the first pic from left to right:

- Swellpanik amok 196cm, custom wood ( nut tree) job, no graphics..particularity is the wamp tail. Its definitely my fav board, outpowers anything there is in fast rides in the pow ( ok not skis)..

- Rossi 2003-4 198 Undertaker ( waiting for its first ride...). Pow days are rare, so i am not using this one

- A snowboards red and blue 200cm: pure straight pow lines at mach 2... not a very versatile board: no camber, very good in deep only.. The blue and red's were made in the canada factory when Regis had his deal there.

- Phénix snowboards 1.83 carbon swallow: double flex concept with full carbon sheet for juice...unridden yet. I have to measure it looks a bit smaller than the 183 announced..

- Swellpanik 1999 Magistral 185cm: my first ST :) saw lots !

p1040350qe7.th.jpgthpix.gif

comparison between the amok and the phénix:

p1040348ms2.th.jpgthpix.gif

tail concepts: very different: the amok tail is easier to sink and has a bit more lift ( tail rocker).. Since Sebastien Perret ( phénix shaper) was also Freesurf's and Bohème, there is similarities between the tails of those brands over the last 15 years.

p1040347fv0.th.jpgthpix.gif

the carbon baby:

p1040345ig3.th.jpgthpix.gif

Scoop ( nose rocker ) main quality of a ST or any good powder board: very low on the snow...The undertaker is the higher of them all. The amok and the A's are the flattest nose. They never get burried in the snow because of the long progressiveness of the curve...When i see people with twin tip 170cm boards in the snow with a very high nose, i know they will end riding on the back foot with straight forward leg, all the weight on the back trying to raise over the snow, fighting the nose that is pushing the pow....

p1040351bw6.th.jpgthpix.gif

Nils

I wonder why the "powder channel" tail like on Volkl's Selecta isnt used on real swallowtails. Im shure it would make them more versatile!

Todays ski designs have evolved from snowboards. But I think its time for the oposit now. The K2 Pontoons are by far the best off pist skiis I have been on. Im now waiting for a pair of Volkl Kuros. They are reported to be carvable in soft pist to!

I think they have close to the ultimate design for the allmountain powder/ slush/steeps/tight spots allso for a powder board.

hmm simple: powder channel was tried in the early 80's and it proved it does not give more advantages than downsides.....it locks ability of the boards to slide on the groomed and is not really needed: the ST cut tail acts as a tunnel too as well as a fin ... i'll try to find a pic showing it

N

hmm simple: powder channel was tried in the early 80's and it proved it does not give more advantages than downsides.....it locks ability of the boards to slide on the groomed and is not really needed: the ST cut tail acts as a tunnel too as well as a fin ... i'll try to find a pic showing it

N

Can you explaine the slideing on groomed thing further?

I have experienced BIG problems to skid on my swallow in braking spring crust. The inside edges on the swallow was catching under the crust, and made it impossible to slide to a stop! A powder channel, or broader, and upturned inside edges on the swallow would avoide that problem.

I have not had the same problem on my Dynastar 4807. because the inside edges on the fishtail are less parallel to the centerline, then on a swallowtail.

What would the downsides of a powderhannel be, exept a little extra weight, if made high and soft/flexy enough. So the swallowtails could stil flex individually ?

• 2 weeks later...

The issue number one with a powder channel ( aka concave tunnel right?) would be the loss of versatility for the board: it would be undrivable on the groomed, and appart from pure heliski, the board would be useless.

Another issue would be the hard times in crud when u need, in steep narrow crud places to skid, slide on the side ( eg: top couloir before an open face where u need to skid 10 meters on 2m wide track) the concave would rigidify the whole process... next thing: how to you grind a concave hull ? How do u press it? sand it etc..?

N

The issue number one with a powder channel ( aka concave tunnel right?) would be the loss of versatility for the board: it would be undrivable on the groomed, and appart from pure heliski, the board would be useless.

Another issue would be the hard times in crud when u need, in steep narrow crud places to skid, slide on the side ( eg: top couloir before an open face where u need to skid 10 meters on 2m wide track) the concave would rigidify the whole process... next thing: how to you grind a concave hull ? How do u press it? sand it etc..?

N

Ok.

Lets say we cut the soft powderchannel/concave/tunnel in the midle, like on a splitboard. So the tails can flex indipendently. Maybe even cut away the midle 1/2 half, like a narrow swallowtail, with bent up inside edges.

Do you still think it would it make any negative difference in versatility to a regular swallow or fishtail board?

Regarding, press, grind, sanding, and everything else: It works fine on the Volkl Selecta, so why not just scale it up..?

Hey Mark,

I too can attest to the Prior Pow Stick and the fact that it really doesn carve. Before I got my 4WD, I primarily carved on my Pow Stick and I love it.

You get two boards for the price of one indeed. I love my Pow Stick :1luvu:

Jon,

Check out this Prior 176 swallow on the groomers. It looks like with the Prior you can get two boards for the price of one!

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciqH5GMZMY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>

Mark

Drools!!

176 Prior PowStick narrowed down to a 23cm waist. Simply wonderful as seen in video. Powder, packed, or mixed conditions....Fun Fun Fun!

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXF-hPvNCfg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>

</P>

178 or 188:confused:

either one could rule the harem, I mean quiver

I'm wondering about camber between the binders rather than flat???

More like 168...and a bit wider...and maybe a little camber betwix the binders. Not sure about the Snostix, personally, need more data. May have to wait for Sandy's first test rides and hear back to know better. I don't know how much harder it would be to do the camber/rocker combo and get it right, it may not be a factor. As a mostly deep snow board, camber is less of an issue for me.

gunnar u're really wanting some tunnel board don't u!

Since Dimitrije's work in '76 and the funky experiments of the early 80's that showed anything works almost in powder: skegs, fins, tunnels etc..( because its more like working on water ) is that you versatility is essential and the hardest thing to be able to make. Dimitrije had edges at a point and thought he would remove it for they were not needed in powder, he did not need to go back on the groomed : actual riders need to be able to carve on the groom, perform in steep couloir, handle speed in powder and crud conditions ( if you ever crossed an avalanche aftermath after it has frozen ( the famous snowballs of death)) you know what i mean ). Tunnels, fancy edge patterns or so called inventions are usually not able to keep the board versatility at the top and what u gain in a way you'll loose in another.

The Volkl Selecta is basically a marketing gimmick that works ok until you compare it to another board with the same program in mind ( am not talking pure ST) and that is more versatile maybe...

Same goes with the new tinkler design ( incredible craftmanship again btw).. i wonder how much it weights...in the pow light boards are mandatory since you are also working in the Z dimension of the snow ! I feel its gonna be a big beast to ride dynamically...nice experiment thu! ( last question is why use the tanker outline that is not intended to be ridden like a ST and has a very different flex pattern...)

Would love to have someone compare it to a Nitro 198 for example!

Nils

That last question is a good one. If I remember the old 196 Nitro Drew Hicken, it was narrow in the waist, something like 24ish range. Length must have made up for the narrow width. A stiff shorter nose will work with rocker added into the equation, again overall profile of nose rocker being added into this. Rocker throws a monkey wrench into traditional thinking on flex patterns. Guess we will have to wait to find out the ride!

• 2 months later...

i came back recently from la grave...tried my new magistral 185 there - awesome board!

but interestingly, franky, tina and kafi ride swpk global - i suppose it is designed as the ultimate versatile swallowtail - i saw franky tearing blasting through powder on top of la meije and then going straight down into the trees with little effort (board edge-to-edge turning was instantenious)

my magistral 185 is also great but i think it lacks reactivity since the board is bit soft..

interesting fact - i've met a lot of people in grave who were riding magistrals and they asked kafi to make the waist a bit narrower - this, as they've said, improved turn initiation

for me, the ultimate powder powder is the magistral 185 with reactivity of global...i will talk to kafi next week about possibility to alter flexes and waist to achieve that since the surfy feeling of magistral is AWESOME! (haven't tried the global but i think it lacks the "feel" the magistral has)

p.s. btw, franky tested phenix and still liked global much better

p.p.s. my friend Alex and i at the "restaurant" in Grave...I am in orange jacket

post-7889-141842272955_thumb.jpg

post-7889-141842272957_thumb.jpg

N

That would be proven wrong by the F2 Revo Airbase having plenty of versatility?

V5ddFLD3aIuSEBWgen8Aie-30.jpg

And Gunnar - I got a brand new one right here resting next to your old Thias...