Note to New Members ×

opinions on renntigers

paragonUE

Following POW's lead, I figured it wou;ld be a good idea to ask opinions on a 02/03 173 Volkl Renntiger I've just recieved. Its a big step up from my other board , a 99 160 FP. Im 6'0" and weigh about 138 pounds.

just need some insight on the ride, stiffness, and perhaps what a good binding match would be for it because all I have right now are some Burton Rattraps

First, you make me feel fat at 5'7" and 160 lbs! I jumped on it off of a (Nitro copy) Airwalk 167 Force, which is a 21.5 waist freecarver. That RT will feel like a much bigger turner at first, until you get some time on it, and ride it, and not visa-versa. It is a lively type board, still it busts through crud w/o kicking you around. I'd look for some F2 plates at your weight, Bombers with the suspension kit would be ok, too. Get some time on it, and you will be able to crank it around fairly tight when needed, or let it run long for speed. The 173 is a good mix between length and versitility. Have fun!

I'm not sure about the year titanal was part of the RT construction either, but I bought a 03-04 new, and they were describing the construction as titanal rails, not sheets like the newer metal boards are using. Needless to say my RT was stiff enough, well made, handled well, and got me past groomer grommet. I found that the edge hold left something to be desired, particularly on the steeps, but that may have had more to do with the 2nd hand Intec bindings than the board itself. Knowing now what a difference the TD2's make, things could well have been different. In any case, I sold this board and bought an 05 Prior WCR, and never looked back, however I think the transition was made much easier due my time on a dedicated race board like the RT.

In the end it all comes down to what you like and what suits you, so let er rip, don't be afraid to experiment a bit, and have fun........well when the snow comes back anyway.

Al

bombers are stiff as hell, even with suspension kit. they're great and my go to binding but for a smaller rider I think there are better choices depending on application.

Titanal RTs, not the same as the prior, kessler and coiler offerings more in line with the O2s that have the stuff but for whatever reason you can't really feel it as they feel the same as other brands glass boards.

Actually not, the board won't feel stiffer. I may even suggest that you'll be able to power the board more with stiffer binding (more direct input). However, stiffer interface will toss you around more on inperfect snow.

It is not a full sheet type, it is the rails in the board(don't know exactly how to describe it). At your weight, coming off of 'traps and FP combo, TD's wouldn't be my first choice. Spend a year or so on something with a bit of flex, then maybe move up.

Bobdea is right/wrong on the titanal, you typically will not feel it in flex, by hand, and it doesn't add the torsional stiffness that a full topsheet board has. You will notice it in the chop, though, as it slices through it w/o being upset. Kinda some of the benefit w/o all the price.

I'll agree with Bob. Bombers are waaaay stiff for lighter riders, and the interface can make a huge difference to the ride. I love my Bombers on my Coiler but I can't make head or tail of them on my Axxess. I'd err on the side of caution and go with a set of lighter bindings - or ideally, see if you can talk to someone and try a set out before you shell out the $$$?

My son rides a 173 RT with Bombers TD1 -- he weighs about 150 and handles it well and he loves the ride. My belief is the only equation using wieght as a primary factor is a bit overtoasted. So many things come into play - riding ability and style. I've seen some guys who weigh only 160 or so an ride a 185 ish board. Dontworryaboutit-- buy a set of Bombers - you'll be fine. And you will love the ride on a Volkl RT -- great boards..:biggthump:biggthump

ill prolly end up caving and buying TD2's, 309 is a pretty big chunk of change for a college freshmen/fishmonger though

At 6'0" and 138 lbs. you should save the money and buy some food. :)

You should be able to find a good set of used bindings and save a significant amount of money. I've always liked the Burton RacePlates. They are light, low to the board, and not too stiff, and should work well for you.

Jon, I too ride a Airwalk, It is a super fun board for sure :)

Paragon, you KNOW my opinion ( and seen the yardsale / trail devestation) I've done on the RT I borrowed from Brian at Jiminy for a few weeks, so the only solid advice I can give is you really have to ride a RT with authority, it is not a "finesse" Board. It has a mind of its own and in a higher G hard turn, they will really REALLY come around hard and faster than you want/ expect it too unless you under or over ride the tail/nose on it, and even then, once locked in, its hard to change where it wants to take you as they just seem to LOVE turning.

I bit the TD2 price bullet last year, and love my bindings....except for the pesky releasing toe bail when slamming down off rollers or getting the toeside burried too deep in a turn but this season I have that taken care of with velcro ;)

Oh, and ignore the fatty Mc Fat fat porky boarders........ Us skinny guys have um beat in the sex appeal for ladies. they are jealous .... :p