Note to New Members ×

big mtn... BMES 09

west carven

In the last 20 years - yes, a lot.

In the last 40 - changed beyond description!!

Used to work on a trawler out of Wanchese (Roanoke Island) and then at the captain's beach-front hotel, The First Colony, since sawed up into three pieces, hauled down 158, and re-built near Whalebone junction.

Stayed in the new incarnation a few nights last fall. The 'Colony, and Nags Head, have changed so much I almost cried.

Still windy, though, so there's fun to be had.

Best to ye and OBX lovers everywhere.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I might make a living this year! Maybe you will see me down there this season:eplus2:

I smell a road trip. I will have to see how many of us will fit in the old hippy bus after we load a couple cords of wood etc. gotta have hot water or you will smell a road trip:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

the shred gang (shred and cuban) will be here Jan 23 to Jan 31.

who else?

Pooh. I have every other weekend off, but all the ES's seem to fall on my work weekends. :( Maybe I'll take a few days off and come up anyway - got to see Big Mountain this summer while up in Whitefish for some kayaking, and it looked super sweet! :biggthump I'd even suffer through some powder if I have too.;)

(BTW, you all have some mighty nice rivers up there too. :1luvu: )

Yeah some of you rafters and kayakers should work up a summer trip as well. The north fork and middle fork of the flathead are spectacular rafting locales and down here in Bigfork on the lake we have the Wild Mile. Wild mile is a memorial day event for kayakers that is class 4 or class 5 depending on the year. Its a series of races and other kayaking events from the dam to the lake. good stuff.

K, let me know if you're coming to this - we should hang out together. This might clash with my cat trip this year, depending on whether we're going to leave a few days early and hit some of the BC resorts on the way down - but keep me posted just in case.

We can get in some practice before we go scare the boys at Aspen :-) Bring your powder gear!

how about some of you eastern folks who haven't seen powder before? could be a good trip.

another idea is a friday trip up to Turner bowl at libby. Its a little known powder destination. If we have interest I can see about transportation etc. Its very cheap there is only one chair (it used to be the lower 48's longest Tbar) But it services a huge area that is primarily untracked powder. think of it as lift serviced back country boarding. Its only open friday saturday and sunday so fridays are primo if it snowed at all during the week. Its about an hour and a half or so up the highway so it would mean an early morning drive etc. let me know if we have any interest.

There is often fewer than 30 people on the mountain.

If there is enough interest we could rent the mountain on thursday and it would just be us.