Note to New Members ×

Carved - a shortfilm about extreme carving

Jonas Rejman

Carved%20Front%20Webpage%20SWOARD.jpg

Hello,

we just finished the shooting of the shortfilm Carved about extreme carving with Patrice Fivat and Jacques Rilliet. We shot on the new RED ONE cameras, often at 120 fps high speed. We had snowstorms, avalanches all over the place. All that at 2500m altitude. That was one hell of a ride, I can tell you.

Teasers:

A 1024x512 h264 Quicktime (best quality) | A flash VP6 stream (medium quality) | For the YouTube Fanatics, in "high quality"

NEWS

2 takes of Carved made it to the official RED ONE demo at IBC, Amsterdam. Parts of only 22 other projects were cut together, from the best shots submitted by the best of the best.

While there was no time to get that done for NAB in April this year, and Carved was shown around at the show-floors on HDTV, this time the film and tv pro's got all the 2K love they could get.

This is quite a deal for me, so pardon my not-so subtle pride. :twisted:

http://www.ibc.org/cgi-bin/displaypage.cgi?pageref=4762

A PAL DVD image is online and DVD box artwork. For download, login into your account.

Connect to Carved Shortfilm in Facebook! This way, you will be always up to date with new developments.

There is a BETA-ENCODE section for the techgeeks in the downloadssection. Report back, how it goes.

If you are a member of Digg.com, and would not mind to digg me at the Carved Front page, that would be awesome.

29.06.2008:

Carved is out for download for 12EUR/20USD via PayPal. Please see the teaser and check the reviews. Some guys wrote about it already. That will help you to decide if you should go for it or not. Remember to check, if your computer can handle the playback, to avoid bad surprises. I start to work on a DVD image, for those who are not into HD yet. Once it is ready, it will be added as download to your account on my site.

19.06.2008:

Screening for general audiences at Fonction Cinema in Geneva. Admission Free. GOOGLE MAP

12.06.2008:

First screening of Carved in Geneva at Fonction Cinema in 2k to a professional audience, as part of a seminar about high definition and digital cinema. GOOGLE MAP

14.05.2008:

Carved footage will be shown along with footage from Ringo Starr and BBC in a Demoreel at the RED NIGHT CANNES 2008 in Cannes, on the 16.05 at 7pm and 17.05 at 1am at the Miramar Beach, Boulevard de la Croisette (in front of the "Miramar Hotel").

08.05.2008:

Hi all, there is a little teaser of Carved online.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carved%20Front%20Webpage%20SWOARD.jpg

Hello Bomberonline dudes and dudettes,

I am the director and producer of the shortfilm Carved about extreme carving with Patrice Fivat and Jacques Rilliet. We shot on the new RED ONE cameras, often at 120 fps high speed. I dare say, that the images look amazing.

There is a little teaser online, where you can have a look at what is awaiting you.

A 1024x512 h264 Quicktime (best quality)

A flash VP6 stream (medium quality)

For the YouTube Fanatics, in "high quality" (well, whatever YouTube understands by that)

This link plays already in high quality YouTube mode. Change your settings in your youtube account, in order to see all HQ videos on youtube automatically in the future.

Thanks to the users caspercarver, tpalka and gdboytyler for their original post on this forum, while I missed it.

From now on, expect the updates here as well.

If you have a Blurayplayer and/or a Playstation 3 and would like to be part of a little authoring test, drop me an email with the specs of the player, you will have exclusive access to the teaser in FullHD. You would need to download an image and burn it on DVD and test it in your Bluray players. It is a special format of Bluray, and I need to test on a range of Blurayplayers, to see if this approach would make sense.

from the clip I just watched you've made the highest quality carving video probably in existence that I've seen assuming the rest is like that.

Thanks, should be good for us!

Consider one copy sold, on the standard dvd format.

Are you trying to author bluray video onto standard DVDs?

According to spec sheets that's supposed to work as long as the movie is short AND that would aslo give PC users the chance to see this in HD by using VLC or a similar player without having to have a bluray drive

Jonas,

Count me in. I've got a Samsung BD-P1400 blu ray player and an IMac that looks great with HD DVDs. I'd be happy to be a beta tester.Sent you contact info etc.

Cool project, looks like you've signed up some top notch carvers.:biggthump

youtube is cool for embedding stuff :) http://stoked.at/news

anyway this shortfilm seems to be awesome ... is it determined yet what bonus features are to be included on the DVD / Blue Ray? I think I read something about 40 minutes on the EC forum I mean with good bonus features on top of the 7 minute film it would DEFINITELY be a cool disc I would spend money on too also just to have it on the shelf a great alpine snowboarding disc I mean even in case anybody leaked it on the net somewhere ...

@bobdea

The specs call it BD-5 or BD-9. Bluray file structure on a standard DVD, slightly lower bitrate and less capacity. The format does not work very well in reality though, hence the test.

You would need a really beefy PC, with at least 3.8 Ghz, to be able to decode h264 material in realtime in 1080p resolution. I think for those, who use their mac/pc as an entertainment center, 720p is a good compromise.

@carvediem

It is very difficult for me to determine if and how to distribute Carved, as I really cannot say, how much people will be willing to pay for a 7 minutes short, even with 25 minutes making of.

10EUR? 15EUR? 25EUR?

The point is, that for a volume above 500 I have to go for a glasmaster, in order to be able to press the DVD or Bluray. And this is, where it starts to get ugly. So if I do a batch of let's say, 2000, I would have to charge about 30EUR plus shipping in order to get even. That does not include authoring and encoding and the editing work for the making of. Now I seriously do not think that I would sell 2000 at that pricepoint, even to those die-hard fans. I mean, how many extreme carvers are out there in total?

Further, when i put it on Amazon, there is no way, that I could get the production costs back, if I do not want to sell it for 35USD. Their commission is that big.

And yes, what happens, if it leaks? I do not doubt that this will happen. And will you really buy a 7 minutes movie for 25 EUR, after you have seen it in 720p via torrent?

I would not put a copy protection onto the DVD/Bluray discs, as this raises the costs even more, rather put the price advantage to the buyer. But there will always be someone, who will think its cool to distribute it the "other ways".

I could put it online for individual downloads. You could download the cover, the DVD/Bluray image, and then put together the box yourself. This would cost less, and could work via paypal donations. On the other hand, is this really the way I want to present Carved?

I may go down the road of individual encodings. If you purchase, you get a reservation number, your name on the DVD/Bluray cover and into the menu.

This would make it a sort of a collector's item. :-D A watermark in the footage would fight a little the temptation of leaking it. It would cost more, would be in low volume, but might be interesting for those, who would want something really special.

I don't know. What shall I do? If there is demand, I will react on it.

Let me know, what you guys think.

Jonas

P.S. Nice and clean blog Carvediem!

Please add the string "&fmt=18" at the end of your link. This will embed the high quality version. ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7JEOCMpWE&fmt=18")

Well, Jonas, as a photographer, I certainally do sympathise with your dilemna. From what I saw of what you've done, you did it because you loved it, and did a damn fine job of it. But then comes the question that every artist has to ask -"Can I make a living off of this, or at least not go broke." We all find our own answers to this. Myself, even though I have made a good living for many years, my best stuff has never been profitable. But it was always worthwhile, and gave me the creditability to do the better bread-and -butter stuff.

You are right on with all your questions - especially about we carvers being a very limited market. Not enough to make a profit from, sadly. My only suggstion would be post it for download, and let each give what they will. I'm good for $30.

it's ALL about the marketing.

nudge nudge

wink wink

inc inc

;):p

http://www.winkincproductions.com/television.shtml

you could maybe sell the footage :rolleyes:

Lions and buffalos and Crocs, Oh my !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_Kruger

When I think of the number of people I could convert with seven minutes of footage like that, I would have no problem paying 30 eur.

Maybe you could recoup costs faster with staggered release pricing?

30 eur for the first few months,

25 eur for another month.

then 15 eur a bit later on amazon?

I'll be right in line to pick one up either way.

yeah right I guess some costs could be covered by selling the film to TV sports channels or general channels that cover sports too

of course I am anything but an expert I was just thrilled about someone I know who got a couple of his windsurf adventure travel bits onto eurosport and the austrian general ORF channel for its sunday sports show

(http://www.chrispressler.com)

a lot of stations would air a clip even about a not so popular sport as long as the clip shows something that is spectacular enough also for a general audience ... occasional clips about surfing are shown on austrian TV only for their spectacular imagery about an exotic sport called surfing and surely not to only cater to a few that are actually into the sport around here ...

guess you already thought about this and am wondering whether you see any sense in pursuing this? guess in case it worked out it could also cross finance a good price for other ways of distribution or maybe what I wrote was all babble and I should just wish you good luck ...

(anyway thanks for your feedback gonna see about making a higher quality embed of your teaser happen)

(edit - works on a link but seems to be ignored in embedded code I added it anyway)

The specs call it BD-5 or BD-9. Bluray file structure on a standard DVD, slightly lower bitrate and less capacity. The format does not work very well in reality though, hence the test.

You would need a really beefy PC, with at least 3.8 Ghz, to be able to decode h264 material in realtime in 1080p resolution. I think for those, who use their mac/pc as an entertainment center, 720p is a good compromise.

Jonas

I would propose that making it BD-5 but as mpeg2, not as h264. This way it can be played also on pc without enormous power requirents with normal dvd player and still on Blu-ray. And you can have max comercial resolution with very good bitrate.

Unfortunately all Blu-ray players dont support that format but most should according my understanding.

NEWS

14.05.2008:

Carved footage will be shown along with footage from Ringo Starr and BBC in a Demoreel at the RED NIGHT CANNES 2008 in Cannes, on the 16.05 at 7pm and 17.05 at 1am at the Miramar Beach, Boulevard de la Croisette (in front of the "Miramar Hotel").

wow too cool Jonas ;) thnx again for all that work with us!

I'm a bit too far from Cannes, but I'll try to translate any info/feedback i can get from it after its shown...

Nils

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...