Note to New Members ×

intec or clips for old man?

redriver

For the veterans in our group- I'm 50 and not too flexible with chronic knee and back issues. I've used clips for some time now, and they're a big improvement in ease over soft boots and straps. Now I'm considering going intec, with bindings and heels costing somewhere near $400 more, I'd like to know if you think they're worth it to make my day easier (?)

Thanks

After two years on Burton plates, I went to F2 step-ins this year and will never look back - the two big advantages for me are the abililty to clip in while in motion after getting off the lift and the convenience of being able to step in while managing equipment on the slope (I'm a ski patroller).

Shop carefully - Intec heels run about $65; I've purchased F2 step-in bindings for between $100 and $145. You'll need Intec compatible boots, of course.

For the veterans in our group- I'm 50 and not too flexible with chronic knee and back issues. I've used clips for some time now, and they're a big improvement in ease over soft boots and straps. Now I'm considering going intec, with bindings and heels costing somewhere near $400 more, I'd like to know if you think they're worth it to make my day easier (?)

Thanks

From another "50",

YES!!!

Keep in mind that they do tend to stiffen up the connection.

Especially if you are a lighter rider.

Get a good stomp pad too!! Consider the DaKine "SPIKE" stomp pad.

It is very important to clear the heel of snow.

Step-Ins RULE!!!

Do a search on installing them. The issue is primarily a concern for heavier riders, however , please look at the "Insert" issue.

Enjoy!!

PS - Fill in your location and CP info and a local "Journeyman" alpine rider may offer help?

I never go to standards again. Never billen be on my butt or bend over to get that clip done. The only issue is the sticky snow under your heel. So indeed I am going to buy myself some good scrapery stomppads. And using some bomberbutter to glide easily into the intecheelreceiver helps too.

Intec's are where it's at...and not just because I'm lazy (and I admit I am). I used to have my toe clip get stuck on toeside and cause an embrassing fall at least once a day, I hated trying to clip in on an icey slope, bending over at the bottom of the hill after a thigh burning run always left me in a heap. I've got a year on Intecs and I will never go back I like boarding away from the chair and barely slowing down to step in, I love riding into line just pulling my release and stepping out a step or two from the chair. Yes Bomber butter makes engagement smoother and having a good stomp plate helps clearing your boot easier. For me the biggest plus is how much more fun my day of craving became when I switched.

What Bryan said X2. The only people I know that have used both and still ride clips are people who prefer the softer feel of Burton bindings. Burtons are not intec compatable. Step ins are a little stiffer for me, and the stomp pad he mentioned is the bomb! Just stomp your heel on it and twist. You're good to go.

To be clear.

This is the one I believe is the finest stomp pad I have ever found.

The spikes are big enough to be effective clearing the Intec heel yet do

not break off like cheaper versions.

Typically 10$, they sold out last season and became hard to come by.

I think Buell, Rebecca and myself saved the model from falling out of production by buying dozens:ices_ange

I buy them 10 at a time from either online sources or REI and get free shipping.

PS, I have also used them as tail protectors, now if they will only produce them with carbide points :angryfire:1luvu:

post-198-141842255667_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842255669_thumb.jpg

exactly as I assumed. From first chair to last, the worst part of my day is the hassle in-and-out of bindings, and in some locations it flat wears me out. And I've snagged the dragging clip a few times too. I want to use all my minimal energy in fast turns that return a measure of endorphins and adrenaline. Think I'll invest.

Almost 52 here. An injury got me on a rear intec this year. Not just the bending over, but the twisting is a problem too. 25 days on it so far and it definitely saved me a lot of pain and time. Strained my back getting into the front standard bail 1/2 thru the season, I may be going full intec next year:D

There are lots of different base plates out there if more flex is an issue.The f2 ti has been the best for me but I teach on a more flexible (old blax,like new carve rs)plate that is sooo forgiving.Because of that I have not seen any reason to go back to standard,even for back country;which is the only reason I would even consider standards.

... running just the rear foot as intec. Guess that would cut the cost some. Any other advantage to not switching out both?

My experience says no. the only additional cost for both would be an extra heel receiver and front bail and toe block. You have to buy 2 intec heels anyway. I started with just the back cuz I was a little leery of the intecs, but I broke 2(!) front standard heel bails this week, so for me the idea that standard clip ins are safer is out the window!:lol:

If you have lower back issues, Intecs can really help. I've always used the heel receiver to clean off the boot heel - just bang the boot on it in a way that doesn't lick in, and it clears the snow/ice. I've honestly found spike stomps (just like the one Bryan shows - I buy them whenever I see them too!) more useful for *clip-ins* because there is no part of the bidnings sharp and burly enough to bang on.

I'd imagine intecs would make for sense for just about anyone.

It was my first day on plates today, but it's certainly not easy. Shoving your toe in a loop and driving down reminds me of like..k2 Clicker bindings.

the only similarity to:barf:clickers is the stepin motion. clickers clog easily, are finicky to engage, and only give 2 retention points 4in apart under the centerline of the foot. Not even comparable to Intecs from a physics/mechanical standpoint INMO.

P.S. those are the best stompads ever made for sketchy offramps.

Bryan, what's REK. I'll buy ten at time just to have a few laying around. They ARE the ultimate stomp pad, and I can't find them. The only way I found out they existed was they came on a board I bought. I like the fact that they clear the boot, but they are not sharp like the other ones that look like them. You can carry the board without hurting your hand.

...is sliding past all the boarders doing up their strap bindings on a powder day. Intecs allow you to reboot on the fly and taste the pow sooner.

I like the stiffness that the Intec assembly gives to the interface. It was because of step-ins that I really began to flex my ankles/knees more. The one downer about the heel receiver is packed snow clogging it up. I've learned to carry a bottle opener (the modern two mode kind) to keep the rear receiver clean. I'm also rewarded when I get back to the car with a quick means of opening a tasty brew!

Mark

Another vote for Intecs. I have a couple of sets of TD1's but got some F2 Carve RS's last season, and those are my favourite so far. They've got a fixed toe bail so it's really easy to just kick in, and the receiver is teflon coated so snow just brushes right off and doesn't collect. Comments about using a spikey stomp pad to clear the heel are spot on (mine is a Demon and they're really common) and that's the only issue I ever have.

Fast getaways from the lift are the best. I can be clipped in and sliding down the slope before my skier friend has untangled her poles. Plus I've had many a look of envy from parked jibbers...

Bryan, what's REK. I'll buy ten at time just to have a few laying around. They ARE the ultimate stomp pad, and I can't find them. The only way I found out they existed was they came on a board I bought. I like the fact that they clear the boot, but they are not sharp like the other ones that look like them. You can carry the board without hurting your hand.
Sorry, I miss-typed "REI" , just checked rei.com and they don't have any listed. I have been turning new rider/friends /on to them. Looks like I am about out. Time to stock up!!

Bryan