Note to New Members ×

All mountain riding boots.

Fleaman

What kind of boots do you guys use for all mountain riding?

I am 235 lbs and 6'4 riding lemans boots with blue spring bts on a Coiler 172 AM and Catek Os1 step ins.

I like the flex in the lemans boots but I think they are going to blow up soon as they are a few years old and the cant adjusters have failed a few times.

Is there any flex adjustements on the Indy or Suzuka boots?

I ride trees, bumps and steeps about 50 percent and groomed the other 50 percent.

if you got the suzuka and a BTS with the soft springs I am willing to bet they'd be softer than the le mans, even my AF 700s with the medium springs is quite soft.

the boot bottoms out slightly after where I think my bones would break.....

even the the AF 700s/indy are damn gushy with the BTS with medium springs.

The thing is that they are way less prone to failure in my experience, I've not had the sides come apart like the sb series boots are known for.

generally that's the case with me but I also have a set of softboots, unlike many people here I don't try to think of softboots are being a poor interface just a different one.

if I really felt driven to ride gnarl day n day out I'd probably choose the suzuka and add a BTS.

Were you the patroller? If I were doing that I'd pro form some AT boots for work because walking in them is so nice and I'd not have to worry about the boots I use the rest of the time.

I'm 180# & carve bumps, pow & groomers pretty aggresively. I use stepin Nitro bindings (stiff & flat) on all my boards. I run raichle 124s for everything, I love the flexyness & will get BTS with red lower & blue upper next season. I use Blax Toni (much stiffer than 124s) if there's nothing worth riding but groomers.

I'd like to have replacement cant adjusters with a solid elastomer bumpers for lateral flex.

Also I am considering the scarpa TerminatorX tele/AT combo for a 3 discipline BC boot.

post-5508-141842255638_thumb.jpg

unlike many people here I don't try to think of hardboots are being a poor interface just a different one.

I have never ridden soft boots and I am in no position to switch halfway down the mountain to soft boots as the conditions change. I ride top to bottom and thats the way I roll. Also, finding stashes to hide your extra soft boot gear on the mountain without getting it ripped off is hard to do.

:smashfrea

Were you the patroller? If I were doing that I'd pro form some AT boots for work because walking in them is so nice and I'd not have to worry about the boots I use the rest of the time.

I really like the conveniance of step ins, so AT boot are out. Although I ride with a guy with AT and he rips everything.

I do like the intec extension that winds up your leg to your waist to unlock the back foot.

I used to ride 324s and was very happy with the flex.

Now I'm in UPZ RTRs with the "soft" tongues. They're much stiffer than my 324s. At first I thought they were way too stiff, and was riding them with the top buckle undone. Now I've got all the buckles tight and I think they're only slightly too stiff. I was surprised how quickly I got used to them. So I can only conclude that it doesn't really matter much to me.

But I might start cutting at the tongues to see if I can get more flex out of them anyway.

I just carry one pair of boots. I use different boards for piste & powder, but the same boots. I don't notice or feel the need for anything different in powder versus piste. Powder riding's easier is all.

Currently I'm on the Deelux Indys/Intecs/F2 race and they work fine. You need to consider the whole boot/ binding setup as one thing as there's flex distributed throughout it.

Cant adjusters and other gizmos do have a tendency to fail.

The Indys have big springs on the back and come with two sets of different springs, so you can tweak to lean, stiffness and range your heart's content there. I just set mine up the first few days I rode them (stiff springs, front foot more upright) and then left them alone.

Solomon Malamutes...

Burton Mission binding...:biggthump

Heh - I have the same combination for pow days!

I do ride off piste in hardboots - when it's not really a pow day - and use the same Track 700's with blue BTS all around as I do when carving hard. I just leave the upper two buckles one notch looser if the snow is mushy.

+1 on the boot/binder combo being 1 wole flex system.

My 124s are 1 of softest hardshells out there, the nitros are as stiff as any binder I've seen, they balance each other out nicely.

I seldom feel a need for a stiffer boot on the hardpack & I've never felt a need for anything softer in 2ft of pow or the tightest bump & trees.

I've been using this setup for 13yrs, in fact always loathed the squishyness of the "best" soft setups that ive tried in that time (K2 skylords/clickers, Vans/switch, burton SI & strap, flows).

None of them come close to the bombproof convinience & power over the edges I get with my current 13yr old, industy standard setup:smashfrea