Note to New Members ×

Whitewater rafting - Vermont or Colorado

Allee

Anyone have experience rafting in these locations? A couple of my girlfriends in Calgary are keen to do a white water rafting trip this year, and we thought it might be fun to make a long weekend out of it and travel somewhere.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

ME and VT, NY all have the goods for that but CO, UT, MT WY have better weather generally and consistent conditions

thing is that on the east coast of the US is that NYC and boston are just a few hours of driving away if you'd like to go to either or to snag the cheap flights.

Most of the folks I work up at the ski hill with guide at Zoar (Willy's link).

If you were to come down this way, the Monroe Bridge dryway trip is a bit bigger and the Millers river is good too. Zoar gap is way more memorable if you do it in the pitch dark and snow with ice forming around your feet in the bottom of your friend's little self-bailer.:biggthump

Guest GQuentin

Hi Allee,

You can't go wrong with OR, but I also love CO. I would go to Southern CO, particularly Durango. The White Water, Mountain biking and just about everything else you can do in the outdoors is amazing. (Good Margaritas too :D) I used to live there for 3 years and loved it.

Cheers

Quentin

Are you kidding? New River Gorge WV is the place to go on this side of the Mississippi. Wait, Dead River is in Maine isn't it?

I've never been on the New but have kayaked the Gauley in West Virginia - that is certainly a worthy piece of whitewater as well :eek:, and plenty of rafting companies to choose from!

Hi Allee,

You can't go wrong with OR, but I also love CO. I would go to Southern CO, particularly Durango. The White Water, Mountain biking and just about everything else you can do in the outdoors is amazing. (Good Margaritas too :D) I used to live there for 3 years and loved it.

Cheers

Quentin

........and it is going to be a big year down there also....

Northern Colorado is about 30% above normal snowpack levels this year and southern Colorado has been getting way more snow.

don't forget to check if you will need a permit

ever see deliverance????

'nuf said!

Hmmm.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVm2cpYcZ8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVm2cpYcZ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'll be on the Arkansaw river for my first time rafting over Memorial day weekend. This looks awesome!

Which section? I make the trek down to paddle Brown's Canyon in a squirt boat several times each summer - super fun! :biggthump The Numbers are good too, and a bit more difficult, but Brown's is just such a cool canyon... :p

Still have 2 wood/carbon custom Mitchell Premiers for surface boating that I started using in the mid-90's. They've been across the pond and back, and have seen action on many rivers here at home - awesome paddles! :biggthump

Nothing but Jimistyx for squirting though...nothing else compares.