Note to New Members ×

What Year Craig Kelly Air?

Guest larryndog

ok, I will be the bad person here...you bought a 15 year old board, but on the plus side it looks to be in good shape. Is there a board that compares to it today? IMO, no. Maybe the new Airs, but those have been updated with modern technology and shaping. Does this mean it is a bad board? Not necessarily. I had one of these and it can carve, jib, jump, etc.. just like any other board can, but like I said before it is 15 years old. Think of it this way, look at bike technology, car technology, hockey stick technology, etc... from 15 years ago and look at it today. It is still useable and works but things are just better today. Go out and ride it. If you are a beginner, just focus on learning to board. You will eventually figure out when you have out grown the board and when you do buy something less than 5 years old. You may do it in a year, it may take 5 years, but at the end of the day just go have fun. That's what snowboarding is all about.

alright i got a better question, what board would this board compare to today

It would compare to any other early '90s board. if you're planning on riding it, be very careful with those bindings. Old plastic parts tend to crack, and you don't want to get hurt. Look closely at the bindings before each riding day.

The biggest problem you're going to have is if those bindings break, you will not be able to use a modern binding. The dots you see on the base picture are t-nut inserts. Ancient technology, not compatible with any modern binding.

Not trying to be a jerk, just telling it like it is. I think your best move would to be to sell it right back out on ebay and try to recover your money, then look for a newer board that doesn't have Burton stamped on it. People pay stupid prices for Burton on ebay...

The biggest problem you're going to have is if those bindings break, you will not be able to use a modern binding. The dots you see on the base picture are t-nut inserts. Ancient technology, not compatible with any modern binding....

Agree with Tex, I had that board in 92 or 93 can't remember, broke it twice and Burton replaced it under warranty both times.

The bindings are very fragile, I think I went through 5 sets of the flex bindings. Burton eventually ran out of parts and couldn't send me replacements.

Actually you could use new bindings on it. That board was the first year that burton introduced the 3d system, so it looks like somebody didnt get those bindings when they got the board(which they should have because at that time bindings came with the board) and then t-bolted on a old pair of 5 holes. Truthfully I would not ride that board.......

Wow, I did not even see that before...that they used pre-3D bindings on a 3D board! Talk about being cheap! I change my earlier answer, get out of that deal if you can or find some other chump to buy that board. The board was fine until they mounted the bindings through the base. Don't get me wrong, the snowboard will still function but for $120+shipping you could have gotten something much better. Sorry bro:(

The board will be Ok for a light weight beginner to get into the sport, the binders are iffy, Like tex said keep an eye on them they can easily break.

If the 3d inserts are under the old 5 hole binding, get a newer binding that won't break in your 1st good wreck.

the starting price was more than it's worth

The board is 1993 Burton Air 5.1, not the Craig Kelly model. It is the first year Burton had the 3D inserts. The bindings are probably from the year before as they are not 3D compatible. I have the same board in the 6.1 model and it's a real noodle, probably because it's too old. I'm sorry to say, but you overpaid for it.

I never knew Burton made boards in Canada. Where was the plant?

I think it was in the Eastern Townships, not too far from the Vermont factory. I'd have to search to get a more specific answer.