Note to New Members ×

To Goofy or Not to Goofy........

eaglez

I was wondering if anyone has ever switched their bindings from regular stance and enjoying it, to goofy stance to see how the difference feels?

I have been riding regular for 10 years and I am comfortable and it feels right. But I was thinking of switching things around for a change. Anyone else done this?

Thanks

D. :biggthump

Seriously...that is how I learned to ride switch years ago...spent about three days with the binders goofy - I'm regular...worked like a charm! :biggthump

Admittedly, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I probably wouldn't venture off the bunny slope and wear body armor nonetheless ... still sounds hellacious though.

I say try it. On a bunny slope. And bring tools so that if it proves to be a pain in the ass, you can switch back without taking an extra trip to the car. (With Bombers you only need one hex key.)

I bet you'll be linking turns (awkwardly :) ) on the first day. Worst case, you will at least get used to the way it feels to have that foot forward, and you'll have an easier time learning to ride backward with your usual stance.

Back in my freeride-board days I took a couple runs switch just to prove to myself that I could do it. I ride switch on my alpine boards to keep from getting bored when I'm on mellow slopes. All it takes is practice.

There is precisely one valid reason you might want to do this: if you feel you are not as good as you could be, and you cannot progress.

If you run and slide on some ice, or on your kitchen floor in your socks, which foot do you put forward? That is how you should stand on your snowboard.

If your run-and-slide stance is the same as your snowboard stance, then forget about it. The only other reason for doing this is so you can tell a good story in the bar apres-ski.

Hi jack hows things in Mainiac land?

My favorite choice of stance method is to roll a beach ball to the customer or student on the floor and have them kick it back to me. Whichever foot they stand on usually is the better front foot. There are exceptions like damaged knees andor hips that can require reversal but not often.

Chase

P.S. If you want to visit Ragged under new (read money to operate it properly) owners give me a PM and I'll hook you up.:D

This has probably been discussed to death elsewhere, but I don't think there's a correlation between right handed, regular footed and vice versa. This also applies to the ball kicking test. (I would be in the minority that puts the same foot forward as they kick the ball with.)

Sliding on the kitchen floor in your socks will tell you positively every time.

I'm probably the poster boy for weird handedness. When I was very young, just starting to draw, I used my left hand. My parents discouraged this and strongly encouraged me to use my right hand. I'm right handed except for billiards, guns, and archery which I do left handed. All other sports are done right handed. All sports done right footed. I board goofy.

Thanks fer' readin' the ramble,

Later,

Dave R.

My favorite choice of stance method is to roll a beach ball to the customer or student on the floor and have them kick it back to me. Whichever foot they stand on usually is the better front foot.

Sorry, I kick 10 times better with my right foot. I'm goofy. Kicking has very little to do with snowboarding. Sliding has everything to do with snowboarding.

Ragged is on my list. Someday!

I am not getting into the "determining stance" thing. I have voiced my opinion on that in the past. It is amazing how many silly notions there are out there. I work with snowboard instructors everyday who still believe the old wives' tales of snowboarding.:rolleyes: If you really want to go that route, do a search.

As far as setting your bindings up for the opposite direction, I think that it is a fun thing to do, but it is just as effective - and maybe more, to ride switch. This is especially true if you have a very forward stance. Riding the opposite stance will really not get you prepared to ride a backward stance. To ride a backward stance, you have to practice a backward stance. A lot of people here know that you can do just about anything riding switch with a backward stance. Others can't believe it. Remember, we still don't have it as bad as skiers.;) I have replicated the majority of my skills switch on my race boards at 60+ degrees, but I know not to brag because there are guys who can do EVERYTHING switch on skis. They trump the raceboarders hands down!

Point is, do it for fun, do it to increase skill, but if you are looking to better your switch riding, ride switch - particularly on alpine boards.

GvsR...I know I'm screwed up I have always skateboarded regular and I snowboard regular too....skiing and inlining my turning is goofy...I was born a lefty but changed hands 19 years ago when I broke my left wrist in bootcamp. learning to write right handed was the only way I got to continue on in training....I really didn't adjust completely until I learned to shoot competitively, I'm still a little left eye dominant but my off hand shooting rocks. BTW I can't do much lefty now except maybe drive but that only counts in RHD countries

Mark J. was working on his Level 3 last year and was reversing his bindings to ride switch for the switch/bumps portion of the test (or something like that as I understood it-could be wrong). He said it was the best way to learn for him and was recommended from other instructors. I see nothing wrong with this especially since Bordy gives it a thumbs up. Go for it.

I personaly think this would be the way to go for me since I use more forward stances in HB's and SB's. I can't even imagine doing this in HB's though.

Perhaps the best way would be to ride a duck stance mounted perma-switch so you can always bail out to your "good" side in case of emergency. Just my $0.02.

Hi jack hows things in Mainiac land?

My favorite choice of stance method is to roll a beach ball to the customer or student on the floor and have them kick it back to me. Whichever foot they stand on usually is the better front foot.

I don't think that works. I kick with my right, and I'm goofy. I usually have someone stand up straight with both feet together, stand behind them, and tell them that I am going to push them right before I do. The foot they stop themselves with is the one that should be in front.

Admittedly, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I probably wouldn't venture off the bunny slope and wear body armor nonetheless ... still sounds hellacious though.

Exactly, I started on the Greens and worked my way up. I think you m ight be surprised how quick you would get it.

doable on a freestyle board...but sounde like torture on a carver...

I did it 10 years ago or more, for one day.

At the beginning I wal always down, but when I understtod that I had simply to reverse (left-right) the information that my brain was sending to my body... it was really cool!

Anyway, I want back to goofy because snowboarding is not a simmetric sport and I prefer to have the strongest leg as the front leg :)

Ciao, Gio

P.S. I'm one of the few dextrals (I guess) riding goofy.

The 'run and slide' test doesn't work for me, I can slide either way but definitely prefer right foot forward.

Go for it, it'll be a fun (although frustrating at first) way to spend a day. I learned to ride switch many years ago by spending a whole day riding backwards - including riding up the T-bar with what used to be my front foot out. Expect to crash lots. ;)