Note to New Members ×

To Goofy or Not to Goofy........

eaglez

Sorry, I need to correct my earlier post. Sure, it will help you a bit to learn better balance, coordination, etc. However it's not a required skill. I tried it and did not have fun. The only way I could justify the time spent riding the opposite stance is if I had already mastered carving in my usual stance to the point of boredom, AND I was getting at least 40 days a year on snow. As it is now, my snow time is far too precious to spend on such an academic, un-fun exercise. Unless being a complete newbie again and doing the power snow-angel are fun for you.

Now, riding fakie in softies at low angles can be fun. However riding an opposite stance at high alpine angles is a completely different thing altogether. I set up my freeride board at 5/0 (overhang notwithstanding) and tried mixing up forward/fakie riding 50/50 for a day. It was surprisingly easy and fun at those angles. However reversing the stance at my usual 33/24 sent me back to the bunny hill.

Some riders who are truly great carvers can also carve switch. Two of these guys did exactly what you are saying and switched their bindings and rode goofy until they could carve goofy. They then switched their bindings to a regular stance and rode switch to carve. All in all it definately helped them. Go for it dude.

Some riders who are truly great carvers can also carve switch. Two of these guys did exactly what you are saying and switched their bindings and rode goofy until they could carve goofy. They then switched their bindings to a regular stance and rode switch to carve. All in all it definately helped them. Go for it dude.

isn't it funny how one can ride for so many years and never get around to getting good at riding fakie ?

I've dabbled with fakie while teaching newbies and getting bored, still found myself weighting and favoring my dominant right foot, even up front.

Kiting makes ya " go both ways " but I'm much stronger with the right foot in back, jumping, everything.

sliding across the floor in socks is a good one but giving an unassuming drunk a good shove from behind will determine goofy or regular.(lunges with dominant foot)

Doood !! yer friggin' goofy, man !

I skate goofy, but my first snowboard showed up regular, so that's how that went.

I'm ****ed learning how to surf... I can't figure out which way to get to my feet. Right feels good, but left seems like it might be better once I'm up. I am ready to bail on the whole idea of paddling and standing and just getting towed at some waves when I'm in Mexico next month. I really feel like I could do it either way, but I've got more time in regular riding.

I will prop the Noboard again by saying this tool is really good for that kind of thing. When we have long traverses that can be a problem with no bindings on the toeside, we switch and go heelside for the better edge hold. I swear... the "semi-downhill, flat land, fiddle****, strap, unstrap, trapped, traverse" thing is soooo much easier on a Noboard, but that part is beside the point...

My friend Greg Todds (incidentally the Noboard King for all Eternity) went "Gregular" for a season when he got bored, but he was riding 500 days a year or so.

Me? I'm too lazy.

Now that I think about it, I had a couple of advantages in learning to ride a snowboard switch - carve style or otherwise. First was vert skateboarding - riding fakie while pumping up to speed in a narrow 8-foot wide half-pipe back in the day. Second was 18 years of windsurfing...especially the last three in the Gorge pulling the same moves both port and starboard in raging conditions. Both these things set me up for switch snowboarding pretty well...never really thought about that until now. Good stuff.