Note to New Members ×

Is this funny or inappropriate?

skipuppy

My mom sent me this because I'm an International Relations person asking me the same question and I want to know what you think.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfmQh2BQPIM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfmQh2BQPIM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This isn't asking about the truth of the video (that the golf is strong). I just want to know whether you think showing something like this on TV is ok, funny, or disturbing and why.

not funny. there's NOTHING good about that, nothing.

I did like the VW commercials where they're talking and someone backs out of a driveway and SMASH.

can't believe VW would even make an ad like that. LAME !

geared for an english sense of humor maybe ? :nono:

not funny. there's NOTHING good about that, nothing.

I did like the VW commercials where they're talking and someone backs out of a driveway and SMASH.

can't believe VW would even make an ad like that. LAME !

geared for an english sense of humor maybe ? :nono:

VW did not make it. I spent three minutes trying to figure out the history and the only stuff I found out was from blogs so I know it was discussed as early as 2005 and apparently a private advertising company contracted it, not VW. I also don't know if it was aired on TV, or where it was aired, but someone mentioned that it was no longer on TV. If anyone knows more about it I would love to hear about the history.

could have been funnier if the guy driving was from northern ireland.

what a hoot ! :lol:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBRn7zEJkIc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBRn7zEJkIc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

VW did not make it. I spent three minutes trying to figure out the history and the only stuff I found out was from blogs so I know it was discussed as early as 2005 and apparently a private advertising company contracted it, not VW. I also don't know if it was aired on TV, or where it was aired, but someone mentioned that it was no longer on TV. If anyone knows more about it I would love to hear about the history.

Sadly, the best word for describing this is "effective".

This is viral marketing, and that advertising company did not produce it for free unless they're in the handouts-to-massively-successful-corporations business, and almost certainly did not produce it without the consent/endorsement of VW (hello, lawsuit). The inflammatory nature of the content is part of what helps it spread so quickly to sites like this. Regardless of whether or not people like the ad or not, it gets the message across "VW/Sturdy". Youtube is rife with stuff like this.

It's not about whether or not you like the ad, its about selling cars. People buy plenty of products that are perceived to have bad advertising. The advertising may be bad in the sense that it is a disgusting hommage to poor taste in the name of capitalism and dehumanizes a grim subject by turning it into a paltry little joke, but it is good advertising in the sense that it drives attention to the VW brand and probably sells cars ultimately.

Unfortunately, most companies have no sense of priorities, or any kind of meaningful code of ethics.

This thread is a perfect example of what that ad is trying to achieve.

If all cars were that tough car bombs would be obsolete! I'm a fairly humanitarian and compassionate kind of guy,but I almost choked on my sandwich laughing at that.Frankly,I'm surprised that so many have a problem with a joke that is so obviously on the terrorist.Terrorism is certainly not funny but that ad made me laugh.

If all cars were that tough car bombs would be obsolete! I'm a fairly humanitarian and compassionate kind of guy,but I almost choked on my sandwich laughing at that.Frankly,I'm surprised that so many have a problem with a joke that is so obviously on the terrorist.Terrorism is certainly not funny but that ad made me laugh.

Agreed.

I thought it was funny.

Not appropriate for TV, but on the internet where you can watch a girl **** a giraffe if you want to, what is so wrong with watching a douchebag blow himself up. Oh and I would never buy the car either.

IT was ****ing hilarious but carvedog said it best +1:lol:

IMHO worrying what other people think is a terrible way to live.

I wish the PC movement was in the car with the "freedom fighter":freak3:

Must be the same guys who did the cat commercial. Now *this* is funny.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-sC-vSIXk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-sC-vSIXk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

IMHO worrying what other people think is a terrible way to live.

I wish the PC movement was in the car with the "freedom fighter":freak3:

yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat, I did not think it was that funny but I really don't think there was allot wrong with it either.

At least it was edgy, most commercials lack even that.

Sadly, the best word for describing this is "effective".

This is viral marketing, and that advertising company did not produce it for free unless they're in the handouts-to-massively-successful-corporations business, and almost certainly did not produce it without the consent/endorsement of VW (hello, lawsuit). The inflammatory nature of the content is part of what helps it spread so quickly to sites like this. Regardless of whether or not people like the ad or not, it gets the message across "VW/Sturdy". Youtube is rife with stuff like this.

It's not about whether or not you like the ad, its about selling cars. People buy plenty of products that are perceived to have bad advertising. The advertising may be bad in the sense that it is a disgusting hommage to poor taste in the name of capitalism and dehumanizes a grim subject by turning it into a paltry little joke, but it is good advertising in the sense that it drives attention to the VW brand and probably sells cars ultimately.

Unfortunately, most companies have no sense of priorities, or any kind of meaningful code of ethics.

This thread is a perfect example of what that ad is trying to achieve.

well said.

Must be the same guys who did the cat commercial. Now *this* is funny.

<EMBED src=""http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-sC-vSIXk&rel=1 width=425 height=355 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(to the cat lover's among us, I am not that sadistic I'm not I'm not):ices_ange

but I am definitely a dog person:eplus2:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(to the cat lover's among us, I am not that sadistic I'm not I'm not):ices_ange

but I am definitely a dog person:eplus2:

If you think the one with the cat is funny, you should see the one with the pigeon that tries to land on the car. Think the link was at the bottom with the cat vid when it starts. Laughed my butt off at that one.

ATTENTION: The Surgeon General has determined that no terrorists were injured in the making of this film.