Note to New Members ×

BTS. the first impression

vapor

It will be my first day on the mountain this weekend and am excited to try out a few new toys. One of them is the suspension system with med springs.

since coverage is low will be running plates on the freeride deck.

What was your first impression riding them,and does anybody ride with different flex rates. I seem to like a softer flex in the rear foot ,especially with this setup.

I've carved in the dreaded walk mode as well. I can understand the dangers now since taking it apart and putting the susp in. Only thing keeping it togetther at the end is a small piece of plastic.i switch quite a bit from pow/trees on the freeride to the carveing deck.hopefully there isi't too much wrenchin in between lol. bad enough as it is now.

Last season I was riding with certain angles (dont have BTS)...

And my first ride this season I forgot about my angles and carved in walk mode.. found it nice.. Maybe I'll try the BTS and order it, since its similar to walk-mode feeling !

How is walk-mode carving dangerous ? :confused:

I was one of the dreaded riding in walk mode people for years, tried the RAB set up but could not get the cuff vertical enough, locking in the 5 position lockout just never felt right, and could never get a set of burtons to last more than twenty days with out cracking so walk mode it was and never had a real problem.......

Switched to the BTS 2/3rds of the way thru last season and cant believe I had been riding without, got the blue springs, took a half day or so to get them dialed in for my tastes but huge improvement in feel and ability to deal with less than perfect cord, ( off piste the yellows might be a bit better for me but the blues are good enough as an allaround that its not worth monkeying around).

I like my boot cuff to sit at neutral ( think if in walk mode ) so bottom adjustor backed right off, top adjustor dialled in to about 1.5-2 turns of "preload" , this gives me a nice little "mush zone" at top dead center and something to push off as you go in deeper into the boots flex . With my set up I dont miss not having an unlockable walk mode. The BTS can chew the crap out of the inside of your pant cuff in not careful.

I weigh aboot 220 lbs if anyone curious. Would probably like the reds if all I rode was groomers, may still upscale to red springs if my riding technique/aggression level improves over last year..

Dave*

How is walk-mode carving dangerous ? :confused:
It is said that the lean mechanism will break if carved in walk mode. The mechanism wasn't designed to be used that way, so it seems very feasible to me. The danger is depending on it and having it break on you, then you'll end up breaking your ankles or high siding it and basically crashing and burning.

Did the switch from no BTS to BTS was easy ? And when you change springs is it complicated ? Do you need to remove the whole thing and replace it in order to place the bottom spring ?

riding-wise, the switch is not only easy, it's awesome. In terms of installing them, It's reasonably easy. Getting the pins out is the only part that is not super-easy, I just use an awl and a hammer to punch them out...

You *can* unthread the spindle from the bottom if you really want to change bottom spings without removing pins. Removing the pins is easier though, but you don't want to do that every day as doing so will widen the holes that they go into.

Did the switch from no BTS to BTS was easy ?
I made the "not-recommended" modification to my non-Deluxe boots in about 15 minutes.
And when you change springs is it complicated ? Do you need to remove the whole thing and replace it in order to place the bottom spring ?
See Mike T's response. With a punch and hammer, you can have the pins removed and the BTS kits off both boots in about 30 seconds.