Note to New Members ×

got goggles?

Louis

I have used the same pair of Scott googles for 5 seasons. Great visibility, no fogging. I broke them last season and it took me a while to locate replacements. When I did, I ordered 3 pairs so I should be good for 15 more years. They are known as Scott Classic. Absolutely nothing fancy or high tech about these googles. Just good design.

I have used the same pair of Scott googles for 5 seasons. Great visibility, no fogging. I broke them last season and it took me a while to locate replacements. When I did, I ordered 3 pairs so I should be good for 15 more years. They are known as Scott Classic. Absolutely nothing fancy or high tech about these googles. Just good design.

Nice ! seems like your well equipped !! :biggthump

I was looking in the LTD series (yeah i know its flashy) :rolleyes:

I guess they perform as well as the classic line ?

If you can, find a shop that carries what you want, and try them all on.

I walked in with a pretty tall budget, used to buying oakley sunglasses because they're comfortable, feel well made, and have great optical quality- so I was okay with dropping $100+ on some goggles.

I tried them all on, the cheapos through the top of the line stuff... one of the cheapest models was the most comfortable for me, and I've never had trouble with fogging on 'em.

so, a little time on your face is worth more than anything else, if you ask me.

Get something with polarized if you have the budget of course. Zeal, Oakley.

They are a rip of. May be Zeal PPX Detonator polarized through ebay. Polarized is the way to go these days. One lense will do all the weather circumstances perfectly. Otherwise I would spend as less as possible on a goggle if it isn't polarized.

I've heard that polarized goggles are a gimmick because they are not close enough to your eyes for the polarization to do any good. I'm not sure how much I believe that. That said, I will not buy a pair of sunglasses that isn't polarized. It's gotta be one of the coolest innovations in a while. It's creepy when standing on ice and with the sunglasses there's no glare or anything, so it looks like you're standing on absolutely nothing.

I actually have a pair of smith goggle and a pair of gordini goggles. The gordinis were just plain cheap and I've had them forever. I got them for christmas or something probably 8 years ago. The smiths are nice because they work pretty well with my smith helmet. If you wear a helmet, be sure to take that with you when you're trying on goggles.

I got a couple pair of Oakley goggles and loved the great optical clarity, but their durability was terrible. Just look at them wrong and they scratch. I had a new pair one day and rode by a snowmaking machine, and the crystals freezing on the lenses totally ruined them. I had another pair and was very careful with them, always putting them in their protective sock when not using them, and only cleaning them with a chamois/sponge that was designed to clean goggles. But they still ended up very scratched up in no time.

I now have a cheap pair of Smith goggles that I have a few years and have been less careful with and they are still in good shape.

I guess goggles are another one of those things that you have to try on, like helmets. I have a small face and of an entire shop that I tried on one day, the Oakley A Frames and Smith Anthems were the only ones that fitted well (I now own a pair of each). All the others had weird gaps under the eyes or on the side of my face.

Definitely take your helmet if you ride with one, and check that the goggles you like are helmet compatible - a surprising number of them aren't.

There's a zillion lenses out there. I found a persimmon or rose lens works well for most conditions, and a lot of people here swear by the Oakley Hi-intensity. Ask about the lenses, or do some research online - for example, a lot of the mirror lenses are only designed for sunny days. Oakley and Smith have charts with light transmission rates and recommended uses, I don't know about other mfrs.

Have fun shopping...

Well, i personnaly had 2 pair of googles in like 12 years.. i had the oakleys for a good 7-8 years I guess, only thing I dont like about them is the outside starting to get old and scratchy.. And the glass got scractched very quickly, I never had a perfect vision with them, well not that bad, but still.. And they are orange, I want to change a bit :P

I wear Smiths I bought about 10 years ago and they are holding up great. The only issue was when I tried to wear a hat that was too thick and blocked the top air vent foam. As long as they can flow they're good.

I also have a pretty big bridge on my nose, so they work well. Some goggles like Bolle ride up my face because the bridge is too low and too shallow and don't fit.

So make sure your goggles fit your nose well. Like shoes, some will fit some people better than others. Regardless of how expensive or fancy goggles might be, if they don't fit your face, they aren't worth wearing.

Get something with polarized if you have the budget of course. Zeal, Oakley.

They are a rip of. May be Zeal PPX Detonator polarized through ebay. Polarized is the way to go these days. One lense will do all the weather circumstances perfectly. Otherwise I would spend as less as possible on a goggle if it isn't polarized.

Being in the town where both Smith and Scott have their US headquarters does have some bennies. When I was trying to get some pro deal glasses for skiing with polarizer, Smith guys said they don't make them because you can't see the icy spots that normally show up as glare. Makes sense to me. I use smith for my freeride goggles, the model that fits my face. And I have wiped them out with the brown paper towels in the bathroom to no ill effect.

I use Scott for my helmet goggle and they are awesome. World Cup may be the model. Don't know if they stll do it but they some silicone type stuff on the back on the inside of the headband so they don't move around at all.

Good stuff.

Scott makes my favorite "night riding" goggles. A very unique lense, its light blue and its supposed to keep your eyes from dialating and contracting repeatedly while you go between bright light and no light. It seems to work, and makes night riding even more enjoyable:biggthump

I am looking for new glasses and goggles too, and I came acorss that web page for habervision. Have you tried them, and are you reccomending them? They seem to have pretty good prices and look good too.

Terry - yes, I have Habervision goggles and do reccomend them. A friend brought a pair to Buttermilk a few years ago and a few of us tried them and ended up buying. Last season I upgraded to the then, new larger size which fit my big melon better. I like buying from a direct marketer and I have noticed Habervision had full page ads in both the recent issues of SKI and SKIING so we will probably be seeing more of the brand on the hills.

For glasses check out https://www.panoptxstore.com/ good selection for snow sports as some of the models have padded eye cups to shield out the wind. They also have a close out section and offer Rx lenses too.