Note to New Members ×

Hardbooting instructor in trouble

BlueB

After the ride today, I was asked into a meeting with our assistant director (same lady) and I got told that I'll be teaching on soft boots or not teaching at all. As I opened my mouth to say something I got told that we were not to argue about it and decision won't be changed. So I explained that friendly discussion won't harm even if it was just for the sake of discussion. And we had a discussion, almost an hour of it...

I made all the right comments, highlighted all the right facts, yet still no joy - school took position that soft boots are the job requirement, period. Whenever I touched on techincal part of stance, possibilities of high angles on softies and low angles on h/b I had an ansver that she didn't want to discuss technique at all as she doesnt know it and didn't want to know it, but teaching on h/b is still not right as it is different to what clients have. It seems that the same guys who started this in the first place did some havy lobbing since the last round of discussions...

Further comment I had from a/director is that during 2/3 season I did last year on H/boots we didnt have anyone sign up for h/b lesson. My argument was that if some gear hard gear was available for rental we would have had some h/b lessons. So I got told that was exactely the point - mountain doesn't want to carry the h/b gear in rentals.

My next suggestion wast to promote a bit, say by puting couple of sentences on schools web page. Answer was no. I offered to design and host a page and just add a link to schools page - still no. Mountain simply doesn't want to promote hard gear at all. Ideally they wouldn't like to see h/booting taking of at all as it would mean more logistics (hiring more h/b instructors, carrying the gear, dedicating more areas for teaching) thus distractig from what's already a successfull busines. However, I got told that I can promote carving on my own and by my own means as much as I wanted, and if I brought a group of people for carving lessons they wouldn't say no to that business.

Apparently, someone from school even spoke to BC branch of CASI and they wouldn't take a position on it - it was left to school's discretion.

So I've got some tough choices ahead of me:

- Send them to hell and go back to ski teaching or join the school at a competing mountain. Everyone looses here...

- Settle for softies for teaching, ride h/b on my own time and still promote carving like I always do. Low road, not my style...

- Accept the softies temporarily and still fight the battle, somehow? But how? Still. I'm leaning this way...

I invested lot of my energy, love and passion in this teaching thing in order to promote h/b, actually did all CASI thing for that reason. I really feel depresed right now...

Anyhow, I mounted my big Dynastar 3800 with Burton 3-straps/lock high backs and dag out old Burton Drivers from the storage. Feels reasonably supportive with angles ~45/39. I'll see tomorrow if I still remember how to ride s/b - it's been 3 years...

On the bright side, I'm thinking of a practical joke, showing up for next teaching day with Tanker 192 mounted with 3/straps at 50/45 and fulfill the "job requirments" of softies and softboot board...

Boris

I would go the route of wearing your three strap bindings at high angles.Then whenever you freeride wear your hardboots and continue to be as promotional as it seems you are about hardbooting.The proof is in the $ potential for any resort.An example is here in our Valley at Silver Mtn, they said no way to inner tubing when my wife and I first got here,but then finally did the research instead of making just an arbitrary decision against it.They now have a great tubing hill with a conveyeor lift that also serves the bunny hill.I am in the planning stages of putting on some entry level hardboot clinics for which I will provide equipment and the resort and I will split revenue.

On another note;I had my first day of teaching yesterday at Lookout Pass Ski Resort,in hardboots of course.It looks like the first clinic I will be giving there (I'm the only rider beyond level 1 cert they have)is going to be about riding switch since even after all the usual statements and questions about my stance and boots no one could to keep up with me yesterday while we were riding switch:)

What was the line from "Life of Brian"?

"You are all individuals!" We are all individuals!" (cue voice way in the back) "I'm not!"

That totally bites. I especially love the part about how you're not allowed to teach in hard boots, but if hardbooters turn up for a lesson, they'll take their money.... and give them an instructor in ugg boots...

It's a bit of a shame that CASI won't get involved either. Last time I looked, it was all the same sport, just different ways of going about it ... and you'd think an association like CASI would appreciate and support those differences, even if a moron MBA wannabe doesn't. But then given some of the stuff I've read in the past, maybe not. Just keep turning out the softboot jibber park moneky clones, and everyone is happy.

I'd teach on the Dynastar. The split tail should mess with the noobie's heads something awesome!! Tell them you don't own anything "normal" !!!

That really blows man! I'm no instructor, but I understand your position: convictions vs job. It seems there's nothing to do woth your boss, when people are that stuborn (or stupid, don't remember how to spell ;)), you can't argue, even intelligently, because they wouldn't understand or they know they're not right.

I don't know about the Tanker, but go with the 3 straps and high angles for now. If your boss complains, ask if you have to dress like them, act like them, and so on. Just a suggestion...

I'd go with as big a board as you can on softies and work at getting really good at riding it...2mTanker with 3 straps or Catek FR1/FR2's at high angles would be a good choice....obviously you have bitter small minded fellow instructors.

Well yer ***ed.

:lol:

Ride in the gear they sell , and what your students are in. It helps them to relate better. No beginner wants to be intimidated by someone in highly andvanced gear. If you are a good teacher, you don't have to be on a Burton Vapor, or Prior, or in hardboots to be good. Let your technique and teaching speek for itself to stand out amongst the sea of other softbooters.

I have a very uniquie and progressive personal style that I ride in, and thats just me. When I teach, I don't let that influence the students. Give your mountain what they want from an employee, and keep them happy.

They didn't say you cant ride around in hardboots, just that you need to teach in softboot gear for them.

Put up a flyer offering hardboot lessons or rider improvement sessions if people are interested, they will seek you out. I'm lucky, the Boarderboss at Jiminy also rides hardboots occasionaly, and when he saw me on mine for the first time yesterday he was impressed. WHile he said it was "OK" if I teach in them

It would be perferred for guest to see their instructor in the same gear.

I agreed and said I usualy only teach advanced groups in hardboots when they want to work on agressive lean carving, or race styles.

Hardboots are very intimidating and can be alien looking to beginners. While also extremely gracefull aswell, we really are not"the same" as someone throwing on a burton LTR board and strap bindings.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

Stand out against the sea of other soft boot instructors, be the best possible, and while doing it, set your stance angles high and ride like you are on a carver :) they just said similar equipment, no mention of how stance should be as every rider is different in what they feel comfortable in.

First off, I am not familiar with ski resort operation and how ski schools are set up. But ... isn't this more about employee/employer relations? Your employer asked you to do something. If you don't want to you can seek other employement. I don't really see this as the man keeping the hbooter down. If your employer is paying for your service then it is their call. I am not saying I agree with it though.

If it were that simple, you would be right, but usually, there are politics involved. If it was not already a policy and all of the sudden they thought it was important, one of two things is happening: there are hardbooting instructors whose skills as instructors are questionable (not implying this for Boris AT ALL), or there are politics involved where someone has an axe to grind.

I never would have changed the policies for hardbooters teaching, but I have recommended that a couple of hardbooters teach and/or take an exam in softies because of their lack of ability to show important movements.

Because not everybody is beginner. Riders, who learned for a week (or a bit less), are able to begin to learn proper carving technique. If I teach them with a slalom board and they are on soft gear, I only insulting them because what I show them is much easier with alpine gear than on soft one. I can show them learning techniques but the whole process is more authentic if I don't cheat.

Cheat? What are you talking about? Carving is just as easy in softies as it is in hardboots. Hardboots foster high performance carving, but they are not "cheating" when learning to carve. I would like to know more about where you get your perspective - it does not make any sense to me.

Ride in the gear they sell , and what your students are in. It helps them to relate better. No beginner wants to be intimidated by someone in highly andvanced gear.

Hardboots are very intimidating and can be alien looking to beginners. While also extremely gracefull aswell, we really are not"the same" as someone throwing on a burton LTR board and strap bindings.

This shows me that you have not taught on hardboots. These are merely assumptions that you are making. I have taught thousands of people while on hardboots. Most beginners don't even notice the difference. Those who do notice rarely care. BTW, I do have a means of comparison, because I have also taught thousands of people while on softies.

If you are teaching good movement based teaching, it does not matter what kind of snowboard you are on, they will get it. I don't feel that it has ever hampered me.

Here is my question for you, Dave - what is your training backround (who has trained you)? How do you employ movement concepts and performance concepts in your lessons? This is not the be all and the end all of teaching, but under our system, it is what is accepted.

After the ride today, I was asked into a meeting with our assistant director ...

Man, I am really sorry that this has happened to you. I have no suggestions. You do what feels right. I am all about taking the high road whenever I can, but I also teach in softies quite a bit, so it is different for me.

I can sympathize with you, though. At the last mountain I worked for, it was a no brainer - I was in charge of the snowboard program. We also had a race team and several other hardboot instructors. At one point in the late '90's/early '00s, we probably had twenty or so instructors who rode hardboots. The snowsports school director's son was also a hardbooter and former instructor, so I had all of the support that I would ever need.

Last season, I started my transition to a new mountain while still working full time at the old one. I took the job as Freestyle Coach (both ski and snowboard) at the mountain that I knew I would be working FT at this year. Of course, I did all of the snowboard FS coaching in softies. This year, I transferred to the mt. that I am currently working at. At the same time I transferred, they hired a new lead snowboard trainer. His first conversation with me was straight to the point - "What makes you think that you are qualified to do the Freestyle Coaching?" I told him about my certification and that I had done the AASI freestyle accreds. I could tell that I was "in the way - maybe stepping on someone's toes", though, and since I was now FT, FS Coaching would just be taking time away from the fam., so I stepped down. I told the snowboard super. that I would not be doing the FS Coaching. He understood (he is a family man as well). The next day, the Technical director came to the super. and told him that there have been "some concerns raised about Phil doing the FS Coaching because he is a hardbooter". You could probably guess who the concerns were from. I was so glad that I stepped down when I did. Since I stepped down, I would not have to put up with the politics I spoke of earlier.

The bright side of my story is that the snowboard super. was very cool and has no problem with hardboots. His response to the tech. director was something along the lines of "Well Phil coaches FS in softies, so I don't understand where the problem lies. Would you like him to stop coaching skiing FS as well since he is a hardbooter?" The tech. director backed off. He obviously did not have all of the facts. Why would he? He was just repeating what he had been told by a "concerned citizen" I am sure.

Boris, I feel for you. I wish that there was something that I could do. Obviously there is not.

Keep us posted.

Thanks everyone for good vibes!

Just a quick update:

Today I rode Dynastar 3800 with 3-strap Burtons and Drivers, at about 45/39 angles. It works - I was shredding that begginer hill into pieces, almost all day long.

On the down side, I feel tremendous pain in my front foot arch and instep from crushing action of the tight middle strap. My front knee doesn't seem to be very happy either... 3-straps are pain to deal with, too.

I'm still thinking through my next move...

Phil, I do not understand your reasons for lashing out at me. My teaching and techniques are the same in hardboots as they are in soft andi have one of the best sucess and positive feedback sucess rate record of all the instructors at Jiminy in the snowboard school.

Sorry, but it is not about technique. The OP's skill is not in question.

The mountain is right, and their decision is final.

What it boils down to is: Just shut up and teach in soft gear, or go elsewhere.

:argue:

Not saying you can't teach in hard gear and still have students learn it, just saying that you should teach in gear that people can relate to, AND PEOPLE WILL SAY SOMETHING. All it takes is ONE, and it will ruin it for all.

Not saying it is "fair" , but it is what the employer wants. PERIOD.

You are not rubbing it in to me - I am allowed to teach on both as well.

I did not mean to lash out at you, but I DID mean to call you out on what seems to me like comments made out of inexperience and lack of understanding.

Boris is in a situation that is a real bummer. Your opinion was kind of like "hey suck it up and go with the flow" which was followed by your opinion of teaching on softies vs. hard. I was calling you out because I don't believe you have the real life experience or understanding to support your opinion. Please, feel free to explain why I am wrong. I asked you a few questions that you have not answered. You already answered the big question that I did not have to ask - How many lessons have you taught on hardboots? None, so how could you possibly know anything about the effectiveness of instructing in them?

I did call you out, but I don't believe that I was uncivil. If you believe that I was, I am sorry. It is O.K. to disagree with someone.

Now, if you care to, explain yourself, and try to do it amicably.

After the ride today, I was asked into a meeting with our assistant director (same lady) and I got told that I'll be teaching on soft boots or not teaching at all. As I opened my mouth to say something I got told that we were not to argue about it and decision won't be changed. So I explained that friendly discussion won't harm even if it was just for the sake of discussion. And we had a discussion, almost an hour of it...

I made all the right comments, highlighted all the right facts, yet still no joy - school took position that soft boots are the job requirement, period. Whenever I touched on techincal part of stance, possibilities of high angles on softies and low angles on h/b I had an ansver that she didn't want to discuss technique at all as she doesnt know it and didn't want to know it, but teaching on h/b is still not right as it is different to what clients have. It seems that the same guys who started this in the first place did some havy lobbing since the last round of discussions...

Further comment I had from a/director is that during 2/3 season I did last year on H/boots we didnt have anyone sign up for h/b lesson. My argument was that if some gear hard gear was available for rental we would have had some h/b lessons. So I got told that was exactely the point - mountain doesn't want to carry the h/b gear in rentals.

My next suggestion wast to promote a bit, say by puting couple of sentences on schools web page. Answer was no. I offered to design and host a page and just add a link to schools page - still no. Mountain simply doesn't want to promote hard gear at all. Ideally they wouldn't like to see h/booting taking of at all as it would mean more logistics (hiring more h/b instructors, carrying the gear, dedicating more areas for teaching) thus distractig from what's already a successfull busines. However, I got told that I can promote carving on my own and by my own means as much as I wanted, and if I brought a group of people for carving lessons they wouldn't say no to that business.

Apparently, someone from school even spoke to BC branch of CASI and they wouldn't take a position on it - it was left to school's discretion.

So I've got some tough choices ahead of me:

- Send them to hell and go back to ski teaching or join the school at a competing mountain. Everyone looses here...

- Settle for softies for teaching, ride h/b on my own time and still promote carving like I always do. Low road, not my style...

- Accept the softies temporarily and still fight the battle, somehow? But how? Still. I'm leaning this way...

I invested lot of my energy, love and passion in this teaching thing in order to promote h/b, actually did all CASI thing for that reason. I really feel depresed right now...

Anyhow, I mounted my big Dynastar 3800 with Burton 3-straps/lock high backs and dag out old Burton Drivers from the storage. Feels reasonably supportive with angles ~45/39. I'll see tomorrow if I still remember how to ride s/b - it's been 3 years...

On the bright side, I'm thinking of a practical joke, showing up for next teaching day with Tanker 192 mounted with 3/straps at 50/45 and fulfill the "job requirments" of softies and softboot board...

Boris

Boris -- sympathies for you and thanks for being a H/B promoter up there in BC. My 2 cents would be this is not a hard boot or equipment issue. Someone at your Cypress school is making a power play and wanting to be in full control. It is all personality driven – could have happened any other equipment or issue. No matter what they had their heals dug in and were incapable of changing based on anything you told them. Someone higher up in the organization would have had to lose for the lady director to allow your wish/desire. Put it behind you and go forward with a great attitude – I would bet that person who caused this may leave at some point and you will be in position to go back to HB. Attitude is 99% of success.

Hope to see you again in Whistler

You already answered the big question that I did not have to ask - How many lessons have you taught on hardboots? None.

Not true at all. You are basing your assumption on absolutely nothing.

I've taught quite a few actualy, and from personal experience and first hand watching peoples eyes, body language and reactions to me walking up to them in hardboots and a saying "Hi! I'm Dave, and I'll be your snowboard instructor today" as opposed to doing it in soft boots, there is aprehension and it requires me explaining I'm on an alpine carveboard, and that while it looks different, it is still the same techniques that ASSI and PSIA teach regardless of the gear.

98% of the time there is not a problem with it, so I completely agree with the OP's arguement as I agreed in my firstpost ITT.

BUT, it is not what the mountain wants, he voiced his side of it, they ruled with the majority for him to not teach in hardboots, so thats it.

End of problem, end of discussion, he walks away grumbling, but still has a job.

If Jiminy peak came to me and said "Hey Dave, listen; you are a great instructor, and while you can and have taught numerous lessons in hardboots, we would perferr it if you taught in the same gear that we sell, rent and promote here at the mountain". I would say "OK".

I absolutely love carving, and while I can be modest and say I'm still an "intermediate rider" at it, and trying to find my personal form and ride style with my hardboots.... I can do the same basics in them that anyone can do in soft for beginner lessons, or even for more advanced classes. What seperates the "carving" from softboot "free-riding" is the angles of our stance and the way in which we actualy use our bodies at higher speeds to initiate turns and arcs.

So Please don't try and belittle me or anyone elses skill based on a few sentances written here on a forum. THis is a thread of Lament and gripe session about what an employer decrees, and an employee follows.

EDIT: Feel free to cal Jiminy peak and inquire as to my long standing good feedback as being an instructor for the past 3 years with them if you need some sort of

*vindication vendetta appeasement. :flamethro:eplus2:

*sarcasm. I'm not mad, or wring angry, just stating it as it is :)

cheers,

D.

First of all, Boris, I am glad that you feel alright in softies and I hope that it consoles you a little. Still a raw deal.

Not true at all. You are basing your assumption on absolutely nothing.

I've taught quite a few actualy, and from personal experience and first hand watching peoples eyes, body language and reactions to me walking up to them in hardboots and a saying "Hi! I'm Dave, and I'll be your snowboard instructor today" as opposed to doing it in soft boots, there is aprehension and it requires me explaining I'm on an alpine carveboard

D.

I apologize if I assumed incorrectly - I do that sometimes. I recalled that you have only been on hardboots since January and that you had to take a lesson out in them by accident one time and hated it. I guess that is what I was thinking.

There are still politics involved that someone who has not been in the industry would not understand - as stated by myself and others above.

In any case, I have no desire to call you out in public any more, Dave. I have PM'ed you, so if you are interested in continuing the conversation in private, let me know.

To me, the bottom line is that if you go to a mountain that has this policy, you have the choice to work there or not. If you have worked there on plates already and they single you out, there is something wrong.

A couple of years ago on my evaluation someone mentioned the soft boot thing as in "Jerry needs to teach in soft boots" or some such bull**** as that.

I told them the truth, that if I ride in soft boots it causes extra strain on my ankle from where I hit a tree in Montana, and that I needed the extra support to be pain free. Then I added something about the higher risk of low ankle injuries in soft boots and if they were willing to take the hit on workmans comp etc I would be happy to go out and buy soft boots.

That was the end of that discussion and never heard about it again. Of course I do get several request HB lessons every year so that helps. I did my full cert on HB, including switch bumps and did train the staff here for several years.

Sorry to hear of your woes Boris. Wish the world was a little different sometimes, but then we wouldn't be at war in Iraq, crude wouldn't be $132 a barrel and we wouldn't have a talking sphincter for a president. Of course that is down here.

Best of luck

Try the 168 4807 with your softie setup at whatever angles are necessary to avoid toe drag and carve it up:biggthump they didn't say what board you had to use and it would be a good FU statement. Not to mention that this particular set up rails:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

the sweet spot is all the way back for carving! I would offer a hardboot demonstration after class as is possible. there is sure to be questions about the odd gear you are riding giving you a segway into the hardboot realm.

This is very interesting conversation. Looks like i am going to teach this year but i really want to teach more carving classes then beginners.

I was thinking that by showing dynamic good carve on soft setup i can create more interest (potential customers). General public thinks that hardboots are somewhat different sport; they are not taking us seriously because we are too different. When you carve in soft they have no choice, just have to relate.

Overall goal is to teach how to turn correctly (carve) not to prove that hard is better that soft.

Anyway this is something i need to play with this year.

Does anybody have recommendation for the best soft bindings for carving? I am going to try soft on my tanker.<O:p</O:p

<O:p

As far as beginners go i will use soft gear with duck stance (that's how they set rentals) just to be easier to understand. it is my first year so i want to reduce all risk of confusion<O:p></O:p>

I would say if you're not allowed to teach new snowboarders using hardboots, then all the ski instructors should have to teach on parabolics. BEcause the action of carving skis that they give beginners is actually physically different than the shushing they used to teach and that better skiers use - unlike the fact that a carving board does the exat same thign you are trying to teach beginners - except it is actually does what it is supposed to unlike flacid jibsticks.

That's idiotic.

I had a hardboot instructor when I was first starting out in softboots and if anything it taught me better form because it is more natural to weight your front foot with higher angles, so you can see what the instructor is doing and apply i more naturally.

It drives me crazy when they set up beginners at 0-0 or duckfooted "so they can go fakie". Totally retarded.

Tell them you're teaching them to snowboard first, they can learn to dick around in the park with their soft gear once you're done teaching them fundamentals and form.

Lament? Maybe, but lament over the sad state of our sport (I mean snowboarding in general), where corporate greed, marketing driven decissions and intolerance towards anyone standing out, took over from the very roots of the sport. Those IMHO were: have fun, be different, express yourself, strive for bigger-faster-better-higher...

The level of misconception about hard boots is just crazy - you proved it even further.

You are a youngster and have experienced the joys of hard boots - one would expect less of corporate clone mentality and a bit broader looks at the sport and life principles. You didn't even bother to read carefully and grasp the main points of my posts:

- This is not about employer/employee relationship, it's about the very principle if teaching on h/b is right or wrong.

- I do not need this job for living, I do it on Sundays for fun and love of alpine and for the oportunity to pass my stoke for alpine onto others. Whole CASI thing actually costed me way more than I made in instructor wages last year.

- It's not about stance and motion similarities or dissimilarities either, but rather about external appearance of the gear.

So what should we do, all? We can all follow the pressure of media, corporate magnates and fat accountants who don't know a thing about snowboarding, and watch alpine drift into oblivion, or we take a stand and fight a good fight? You decide for yourself...

I would say if you're not allowed to teach new snowboarders using hardboots, then all the ski instructors should have to teach on parabolics.

Actually, they do not allow ski instructors to use straight skis or rear-entry boots. At least that's what management told me during the discussions...

HI Phil, yes it is correct that it is my first official year in hardboots. The lesson you are referring to was an advanced private lesson wher the woman said she wanted to work on better carving, but in actuality wanted to do the moguls. I for one in general loathe riding bumps at anytime, and it was pure evil in hardboots.While I have been teaching at Jiminy for 3 seasons ( this is my 4th) I have taught countless other people as a personal instructor from ages 5 to 65, and I try to stay humble. There is a ton of good knowledgeable riders here and far more experience that I am fully greatfull for having learned a lot from reading the forums and just even going out and trying different stuff as crazy as it sounds, and some works some doesn't but it is all just different techniques to achieve the same thing... A good time!

Whether or not a student, family or entire group actualy learn to snowboard and be carving experts in one lesson, or ten lessons is not the point. As long as they have a good time doing it, and walk away from the resort with a posetive experience is what the ultimate goal is.

Boris, Sux that you can't teach in hardboots, but it really is what the resort wants, and they can change their desires at the whim of "Da Boss" at any moment. Who is to say that perhaps next year they let you teach because... well, they just on a whim decide they want bananna cream pies instead of custard and someone in the meeting pipes up: "Oh while we are changing that, lets let Boris teach in hardboots"... It will be good for morale and diversity (read as equal oppertunity affirmative action lawsuit material.. LOL!

:eplus2:

Phill, I'll drop you a email reply.

Cheers,

D.