Note to New Members ×

Deep Pow/Deep Ruts??

Thor VonRippington

Would you rather ride deep pow or carve deep ruts?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather ride deep pow or carve deep ruts?

• Deep Pow
    • Deep Ruts

Which is your favorite riding condition in a lift accessed resort setting?

Would you rather ride neck deep champagne powder or lay out carves on super grip cord all day?

EDIT: We are talking about your idea of perfect lift accessed resort conditions... You show up at the lift and ride... which? What is ideal conditions in your opinion? Pick one or the other. There are no variables to this question... no crowds, any equipment, doesn't matter where you live or ride, doesn't matter how many days you get, none of that factors in.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about both? Rare, but it happens. Say it snows good and hard Sunday/Sunday night...24" or so and it's an off week at a hill that doesn't see much mid-week action.

stays nice and cold, 25 or so during the day, but there're stashes everywhere. Hit that stuff, then fly back onto a well-packed groomer, launch off a cat track into some untouched, fly through that back onto some more perfect groom...

heaven.

Years ago, when my friend would go out west in groups. We would all bring our center set freestyle boards with WIDE stances. Visions of the Breck pipe or the cliffs at Jackson would always be in our heads. I always kept in my boards one with a set back stance just for powder, it was usually older and not ridden much. It never failed, if we got a dump, the next days lunch was usually spent trying to get everones stances to make it so they didn't have to lean back so hard........... wide centered stances are not very good for deep powder.

SO, I say powder. If I was at SES and we got dumped on, I know where I would be.

It may have something to do with not getting that kind of snow in MN.

Seeing as I've never really ridden in champagne pow I can't really say. I've ridden some michigan pow and it was, how you say... orgasmic...

But then on our local mountain there was some hero snow on a vanity run... The first time I layed a turn over far enough for my hand to accidentally hit the snow without my trying... I wish I could find the words.

I don't want to say that I get the same feeling from either ride cause it's far from it, but I think I have to say that both feelings are equally pleasurable.

I voted for the pow, because its so hard to find in a lift accessed resort these days...In the northeast you need to have a super secret spot, kinda like surfing, to avoid it getting tracked out by 9am. Cord is easier to find, and actually gets better with a little skier traffic sometimes(chalk). In a perfect world (Chile) you can carve until 11am, then hit untracked powder until the lifts close..

The mere asking of this question begs the question "Have you ever been in armpit deep freshies?":freak3: Like PAULK says we carve because freshies are few and far between. I'll save some for you paul see ya in january!:biggthump

Are you asking me that question? The answer is... I lived in Steamboat for 10 years. I could stop there, but I'm guessing there are some who don't know exactly what that means. I remember one year a storm that lasted 40 days... another year saw a January with over 100 inches... countless 1st chairs to true over your head champagne powder (all in hardboots). My heart is pounding as I type this because the "video" running in my head is filled with memories of...

I'm just going to stop now.

... and I didn't even mention the backcountry... I was young and could climb stuff back then.

I just edited the question(sort of.. clarified mostly). There is a method to my madness here.

My theory is that carving was invented by those who don't have regular access to new snow or by those who want to compete on a board.

Don't get me wrong - I really admire a good carver (I'm not one). It is something beautiful to watch and must be great to experience. But, I'm lazy. I try to be an opportunist. I watch the snow reports & try to get away whenever there is a good new dump. As a result, my carving has not progressed. I'm a powder whore - even when it really isn't powder. Just good, fairly new snow is a blast on a board.

It's really hard for me to justify getting up at 5 AM & battling I-70 traffic to ride on hard snow. Especially if the slopes are crowded & I have to worry not only about my technique but also about colliding with others on the slope.

Are you asking me that question? The answer is... I lived in Steamboat for 10 years. I could stop there, but I'm guessing there are some who don't know exactly what that means. I remember one year a storm that lasted 40 days... another year saw a January with over 100 inches... countless 1st chairs to true over your head champagne powder (all in hardboots). My heart is pounding as I type this because the "video" running in my head is filled with memories of...

I'm just going to stop now.

I have only ridden it a couple of times, like twice in over 30 years of snow sports.

I brought my buddy out west one year, we where in REALLY deep powder in the trees and he lost his momentum while trying to figure out how to get around a downed tree. He them unbuckled and stepped off his board, the whole time I was screaming NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! It took us about 2 hours to get out of the trees because we where in a little depression. LOTS of crawling.......

There is just something about riding on fresh, cold, super light and fluffy powder that is like surfing on silk. I've only done it a couple of times and it's the best sensation I've ever had boarding. I've never done armpit deep, but I'll settle for a foot to a foot and a half anytime.

Plus it's really soft when you face slam after dunking the nose of the raceboard. I much prefer a bloody nose to a facial reconstruction.

Alright, since you changed it to the imaginary world of "There are no variables to this question... no crowds, doesn't matter where you live or ride, none of that factors in", I still vote for powder. Unless of course, I had showed up with only a Madd 158:)

I've been in the deepest of pow and thoroughly enjoyed myself. At the end of the day, though, I still long for the speed of groomers - especially icy groomers. Once an ice coaster, always an ice coaster.

And before anyone pulls the "if pow isn't fast enough for you, you have to go steeper" bit, I would still rather just go steeper (think winch-cat) on icy groomers.

Of course, a perfectly sculpted halfpipe or superpipe beats both in my mind.

I've been in the deepest of pow and thoroughly enjoyed myself. At the end of the day, though, I still long for the speed of groomers - especially icy groomers. Once an ice coaster, always an ice coaster.

And before anyone pulls the "if pow isn't fast enough for you, you have to go steeper" bit, I would still rather just go steeper (think winch-cat) on icy groomers.

Of course, a perfectly sculpted halfpipe or superpipe beats both in my mind.

Wow! I think I developed Multiple Personality Disorder just by reading this post.

Interesting view Phil!