Note to New Members ×

Deep Pow/Deep Ruts??

Thor VonRippington

Would you rather ride deep pow or carve deep ruts?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather ride deep pow or carve deep ruts?

• Deep Pow
    • Deep Ruts

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mere asking of this question begs the question "Have you ever been in armpit deep freshies?":freak3: Like PAULK says we carve because freshies are few and far between. I'll save some for you paul see ya in january!:biggthump

Hi DrD, I have only been hip deep and it was fun but I have to vote for carving. I have been contemplating A better suited board for powder but it so hard to leave a Madd board behind. And with weight limits on the airlines 3 boards are not possible. It could be A East coast thing. Not much powder here. Has Paulk answered the second part of your statement. Paul it would be nice to ride Big Mountain again.

Hi DrD, I have only been hip deep and it was fun but I have to vote for carving. I have been contemplating A better suited board for powder but it so hard to leave a Madd board behind. And with weight limits on the airlines 3 boards are not possible. It could be A East coast thing. Not much powder here. Has Paulk answered the second part of your statement. Paul it would be nice to ride Big Mountain again.

MADD BX nuff said good compromise:eplus2:

I didn't take you guys to the really deep stuff. I guess paulk got a taste. deep and steep is pretty hard to beat. Find a local and follow them to the pockets and hollows in the mountain where the wind lays it in twice as deep!:biggthump

I also have three powder boards now that I would be willing to share on a good day.

OSIN 4807 168

OSIN 4807 178

Dynastar legend 174

MADD BX WCT

old school hardboot powder demon the Burton M6 circa 1990 ASYM:D

Gotta vote pow. But it makes me wonder....what if you only had deep powder to ride, would it get boring after 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? As deep pow is a supreme delicacy for some of us (like maybe a day every year or two!), gotta vote for pow.

Would you ever get bored?????? Do people get bored of sex? Or bored of gourmet meals or fine wine or sex????

There is no such thing as too much pow. If I never carved another day in my life and all I got was pow, I could die a happy man, and I love carving.

As an instructor I have had a love-hate thing with powder for 20 years now.NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING sucks more than teaching never-evers on the bunny hill during an epic powder day.I love teaching 99% of the time and some first timers just get it and do great but not the vast majority of kids and uncoordinated adults on those super deep /groomers couldn't get to it kind of days.I have been everything from a dishwasher to a sodlayer to a drychain puller in lumbermills,a wallpaper remover ,shoveled the doodoo of various animals(and kids) and even had my wife withhold sex for weeks and even months;but NOTHING SUCKS MORE than that!

In reality, we get a dump, more than twenty inches, a pow day, ahh pull out the pow-stik, several untracked runs, heaven, next day after the cats have packed it once, no thanks, to dangerous, ~(how many people bent boards last winter)~

I wait for the third day after a dump then it's back on the chord, pow is heaven on earth, reality is chord, almost as nice as no bottom pow is any pow up to twenty inches, depending on moisture content, It's carving on chord with a feather pillow thrown in, ahhh

I enjoy loading up the g's on chord, alot

jmho

Nothing better than riding Tanker 2k's with friends at MHM in perfect Powder getting first chairs on every lift as they open up and the only stressful decision is "which line first?" ... Just ask Bryan "aka oldsnowboards" as this guy is the ultimate pro at this , he is always a few chairs ahead, fast, and first in poaching all the best classic lines.

But in retrospect this question "of one over the other" is really "one cannot be without the other".......yes a yin-yang like thing....

Jim

But in retrospect this question "of one over the other" is really "one cannot be without the other".......yes a yin-yang like thing....

Jim

Jim - excellent comment and oh so true!

We carvers get to have our cake and eat it... twice. :D

I hope to get at least 100 votes from this forum. The results may not be very interesting to anyone but me, but so far my assumption about the "carving community" is true.

I am definitely enjoying the viewpoints and comments... keep them coming!

Give me a powder day, any day! Carving is awesome, but the feel of flying down the hill through even just a foot of fresh is exhilarating! And a word to PaulK, you'd prefer a powder day too...even with only a Madd 158 on hand(and I'm right there w/ya!). I don't even mind the face shots and human fly swats that may happen.

I have chased powder all my life. Whenever I go West, I take along a powder board. It never gets used. I repel powder. I went to Utah last year and got Eastern conditions.

Closest I got was a foot of fresh snow on top of ice crust at Fernie. It was very cool to ride unless your nose got below the crust then it was face-slam time.

This is why I keep looking longingly at my Powder Cowboy DVD and Weigele brochures.

I have chased powder all my life. Whenever I go West, I take along a powder board. It never gets used. I repel powder. I went to Utah last year and got Eastern conditions.

Closest I got was a foot of fresh snow on top of ice crust at Fernie. It was very cool to ride unless your nose got below the crust then it was face-slam time.

This is why I keep looking longingly at my Powder Cowboy DVD and Weigele brochures.

Going to the Monashees catboarding Jan 7-10 this year. (east of kelowna bc) They still have spots available and never been skunked for snow in 5 years going there.

Did you just get that on ebay? That seller seems shady...

have you ridden it yet? Interesting board, no doubt.

I bid on the ebay one but stopped when it went above a closeout one I found elsewhere on the net. there is another on the bay now. one of my riding buddies has one and its interesting. Its split about 8 inches into the tail and the core is " built up" along the edges creating a variable flex situation that is somewhat unique. I consider the dampening pads to be kinda gimicky (autodrive?) but they should have a soft feel anyway. Rob says its the be all end all pow board. we'll see:cool:

post-2375-141842237272_thumb.jpg

post-2375-141842237275_thumb.jpg

post-2375-141842237278_thumb.jpg