Note to New Members ×

Deep Pow/Deep Ruts??

Thor VonRippington

Would you rather ride deep pow or carve deep ruts?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather ride deep pow or carve deep ruts?

• Deep Pow
    • Deep Ruts

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dropped into the shutes in steamboat and sank up to my armpits in the good stuff. I'll never forget that. It was the best 30 seconds of my many years on a board. Then I hit the flats. That could have been the worst half hour of my many years on a board.

When I dream of riding out west, I dream of pow.

Here in minnesota, what's the point. Groomers are where it's at.

Powder in softboots? I've seen a lot of people try that, but most of them can't keep up. I think there are separate threads to argue that one.

On the question... I opted for ruts, because the question's quite specific now. My rationale is that I'm kind of spoiled with bottomless powder, so to be honest resort powder isn't really worth spending the time on. It's full of people and it's got a bottom.

I ride over-the-head powder a lot (yeah, yeah, we get a lot of that here in Cambridge UK), but I like to get back to some hardpack when I can because it's a different experience. You've all ridden it, so you know why that is. Maybe it's the precision; the way the speed feels; the feeling of control; slaloming around the tourists; the challenge of driving a tough board as hard as it will go; all that stuff.

It's a false dilemma really... in resort riding you're not going to get powder for long, so you take it when it's there and then rip the hardpack when it isn't.

Holy crap, 5000 people could be reading this??? <sits down, gulps>

very doubtful. there are a ton of spammers in that list of 5k. if you check the memberlist anybody who has 0 posts and their registration and last login date are the same are usually spammers.

we can only get under a 100 votes in a poll, no way 5k people are reading.

greg,

you nailed it. sunday mornin' groomie session, done by noon.Kick back with some 103 water and cold brews.203 303 - man, I miss summit county :confused:

Reading these early season posts makes me want to move back there.If only my wife (who is a very good rider) was a hopelessly addicted fanatic like me..we'd already be back!

we can only get under a 100 votes in a poll, no way 5k people are reading.

I guess I should apologize here... I've skewed the results by not voting. But I only do so because I honestly can't decide which way I'd rather have my snow... And damn my passion/addiction to the sport which causes me to refrain from voting instead of just clicking a button all willy nilly to get it over with. I know there are no consequences for choosing one over the other, but it sure feels like if I choose the wrong one then I've done myself and the sport an injustice.

It was a hard decision to make. Been in 4 ft of west coast fresh on my 178 Nitro swallowtail, super fun day. Monitor bowl, Utah, on a Voile split swallowtail, rippin' big high speed arcs, totally memorable. On the yang side, I remember SES '04 first run at Buttermilk, livin' the runs I've watched for so many years on Ride the Edge, never will forget them. Remember watching peoples faces as I carve deep trenches past them. Memories of both fill my mind, both are good, both are different. But there is still something about ripping big turns on a fresh canvas that gets me stoked!