Note to New Members ×

The Ugly Side of Snowboarding

utahcarver

"The other part of my town are the rich kids my age who by ten snowboards outfits, 7 park boards and sorry attitudes that resemble wannabe Gangsters. All I get when I go to school or up to the hill for a race is "Your so lame, why would you ever wanna be on such a lame race board?"

Robbie,

I'm 29, so it wasn't THAT long ago that i was your age. You keep doing what you are doing, end of story. My motto throughout high school was "be yourself." Whether or not they will admit it, your peers respect you for carving - even some of the kids who give you ****. The guys that give you **** do it just to make themselves feel better, especially if it's in front of their friends. They're insecure, like most of your male peers. I guarantee you that at least 1/2 of those guys couldn't ride your boards and they know this, but they would never admit it around you or anyone they didn't really trust.

I don't know what your personality is like, but if you feel confident or are agressive, I would suggest challenging them to ride your board the next time they give you ****. I bet a few of them will shut up. If they keep giving you **** but pass your offer up, then you call them out on it. bring your race buddies along if you can.

keep riding your carving boards and try to ride a standard board too if you feel that's consistent with your goals. if it doesn't already, your carving will blow theirs away and hopefully you'll be able to hang with these clowns in the park. when you get to college, you'll see people start thinking for themselves and you won't get as much ****. I'm willing to bet the older people in your life would really be impressed with you if they knew you made this decision to go against the trend.

i'll ride with you any day (and i'll ride teh Speed i bought from you =) )

best,

Barry

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terekhov: Nice link; I've seen that before.

I've translated it for russian carver's site http://carve.ru/ - and it gave some food for forum controversy, esp. about sport profies :)

Do you still have the Undertaker 198 you bought from me?

yeah, sure, waxed/tuned/stored! just received it on last days of last season, so it's not seen siberian snow yet - this is the second undertaker198 in our house, so we know what we get, and yours will be used by my gal (we share our previous 198, bought off JoelP here, on almost 15 funniest deep powder days of last season)

Spot ON, Chris ! Some of my most memorable carving sessions were riding with CK at Vail and several epic days at ECES.

I think it's pretty cool that Mike Banker sold me a Gnu Antigravity back in '88 and he's still cranking out some of the finest slope tools on the planet.

Be thankful that our little niche in snowboarding hasn't gone mainstream.

Aggreed, it just doesn't get much better than ripping with carving Virtuoso Chris Karol. (Except when he is mixing it up with Mike Jacoby) I sure hope that photo was originally taken in high res, it is bound to become a poster . Sweetest toe side photo ever! At least among those that admire and practice this technique. Chris always has set the bar high. I thank you!!!

I've translated it for russian carver's site http://carve.ru/ - and it gave some food for forum controversy, esp. about sport profies :)

yeah, sure, waxed/tuned/stored! just received it on last days of last season, so it's not seen siberian snow yet - this is the second undertaker198 in our house, so we know what we get, and yours will be used by my gal (we share our previous 198, bought off JoelP here, on almost 15 funniest deep powder days of last season)

SWEET!! Those Undertakers are "POWDER ROCKETS" that carve!!!

Wish I could understand Russian. :freak3:

SWEET!! Those Undertakers are "POWDER ROCKETS" that carve!!!

yes, they absolutely freaking shine in any soft conditions, including not-so-hard groom. and possibility to bomber-style in grand-chopped powder steeps is amazing. very consistent snowboard. wish pogo will compare favorably with it ;)

Wish I could understand Russian. :freak3:

:) you can visit our "ES" in Baikalsk, and we can try to rise your russian speaker' level between carve outings :) 4-8 Feb 2008.

One of the many actions that I personally dislike (and am guilty of) is elitism. To me, this thread, from the very beginning has been very elitist.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the title of this thread could have been "Core riders are better than posers" If we are weighing actions, I don't see how being an elitist is any better than being a poser.

great stuff terehov, I plan on a huge post in this very important thread. :cool:

That 7-levels thing terekhov referenced is elitism of the very highest order.

"That 7-levels thing terekhov referenced is elitism of the very highest order."

Agreed.

Most of my old friends are skiers. They tend to have an attitude toward boarders in general derived from "punk kid boarders". They kid me about this. I tell them that to do well at the sport does not require that one adopt the attitude. I don't like the skateboader attitude but I suspect that it comes with the age & is cultivated by marketeers. I was a jerk when I was that age too.

One thing that I really like about the carving "tribe" is that almost everyone I have met - regardless of their ability - is without attitude. They are helpful & inclusive. Often the teenage boarders are long on attitude & short on ability. I find that carvers are mostly the opposite. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

...I don't like the skateboader attitude but I suspect that it comes with the age & is cultivated by marketeers. I was a jerk when I was that age too.

One thing that I really like about the carving "tribe" is that almost everyone I have met - regardless of their ability - is without attitude. They are helpful & inclusive. Often the teenage boarders are long on attitude & short on ability. I find that carvers are mostly the opposite. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Whoa now...watch the skateboarder comments! :lol: Just ribbin' ya...sort of. Just goes to show even us folks who complain about other's attitudes towards us in this thread can have pre-coceived notions about sports, or more accurately - segments of other sports.

I'm primarily an alpine snowboarder and racer - but really consider myself just a snowboarder - I own and ride soft and hard boot boards of many types, like most people here. I also happen to skateboard, and I'm 45 - not some puink kid. I go to slalom skateboard races all over the place and I haven't seen a trace of "skateboarder attitude" at any of them. In fact, quite the opposite, and that goes for young and old racers. I realize this is only a segment of the sport, but it goes to show the danger of lumping one group under a defined label.

It does kind of amaze me that people in these two sports will state with defiance that their particular aspect of the sport is best and that the rest is BS. They miss out on a ton of fun in my opinion...whether it be pools, banks, slalom, downhill, freestyle, powder, park, alpine...whatever.

open minds + open country = open opportunities! :cool:

Most of my old friends are skiers. They tend to have an attitude toward boarders in general derived from "punk kid boarders". They kid me about this. I tell them that to do well at the sport does not require that one adopt the attitude. I don't like the skateboader attitude but I suspect that it comes with the age & is cultivated by marketeers. I was a jerk when I was that age too.

It's pretty funny, as most people have that impression of anyone on a skateboard as a general punk. I longboard around here a lot, and people always have this wary look about them when I'm around. Every time I say "Pardon me, sir" or "Good afternoon" this shocked look flashes across their visage and is then replaced by a smile. Heck, even the cops who occasionally stop me on Penn State campus are dumbfounded when I speak to them politely and respectfully.

Breaking down social misconceptions one hill at a time...

I like That Rick. None of the geeks who give me flack have National Championship Medals so I can hold my head high. You should come out to California and Rip with me a couple days. Or I will probably see you in Colorado for Nationals?:rolleyes:

Robby,

I probably won't be out in Cali at all this winter, but you never know. Copper for USASA's is a definite though - and possibly a USSA - RTTC race.

A couple shots from '07 Nats of you...not that great I know, but pics none the less!

raceboarder7_07Nats_2.jpg

raceboarder7_07Nats_1.jpg

The second one is pretty sweet. Thanks for taking those. Ya I am going to compete in two if not three USSA RTTC"S this year and that should be a blast. Nationals of Course. Well hopefully we can plan on doing some riding when were in Colorado. I am Racing Open Class this year so it should be exciting. :lol:

That 7-levels thing terekhov referenced is elitism of the very highest order.

and it seems that this satirical elitism is a very good thing, in oppose to full disrespect of authorities of out boarding sport

PS I'm freerider at heart. my snapping against soft-booters and skiers verified by my soft-boot riding and that I mostly ride with and on par with skiers in offpiste

• 5 months later...

do you know what year Wintersticks were actually available to the buying public? I figured either you or Marty would know for sure without actually contacting Milovich.

Mark

Prototype Wintersticks were being sold as early as February 1975 for $275.

Winterstick, the company, was not formed until later, during the '75-'76 season to be exact (and rather loose at the same time).

Wintersticks were sold at trade shows for the first time in 1977 at the NSGA and SIA shows.

All of the above can be correct. Since 77 is rather "Open" and Burton staff often contradict their publications and displays.

Actually, according to a Burton interview from 1981ish, he stated that he moved to Vermont in January 1978.

When I interviewed Jake back in 2002, he stated that during the '77-'78 season he was just getting the business together and that the first year of production was the '78-'79 season, with him launching product in December 1978.

December 1978 seems pretty accurate based on some other research interviews I've read and other research I've done.

Sooo ... I tend to think he started the company in early 1978. (How do you get 1977 from 1978? Well, it was still the 1977-78 season...)

The first Burton Boards were sold to the public in December 1978.

So far, that's the timeline I've been able to put together.

- and really know me...You'd know that I rarely ever have more than a single drink if any...and that I don't do drugs of ANY kind (what kinda "core snowboarder" am I?).

So today we see a group of totally wasted boarders who reeked of herb riding- a bit rude blocking everyone at the unloading areas. (When snowboarding was in its infancy we were always told to be EXTRA POLITE or we might lose our rights to ride Mountains... you should read Absolutely Radical (later ISM)

SO.......I'm riding in a gondola which stops mid mountain to pick up extra people.

And there they are... blazing red eyes- super baggy pants, chain wallets. Old tequila stains- bandanas- all the regalia of the "core snowboarder" I don't think they have showered all week or own a toothbrush.

So confronted with the gondola invasion....thinking fast---->

I say as "uncool" (goofball nerd style) as possible.

"Come on in- only if you've got pot!"

no one gets on our gondola...

funny I guess they would not want to share with someone so "uncore" lol... which I was banking on...besides if THEY Didn't smoke pot.. they wouldn't get on either.

THAT'S a win win... lol

We enjoyed a quiet gondola ride.

gotta remember that line.

________

Ford Strike Of 1945 History

i have the same deep seething hatred for alot of the "core" boarders you see out there these days, but i find it misguided to associate them with a company such as burton, esspecially due to the fact that many, alpine, or otherwise, substance responsible adults, put great stock in their products.

I personally ride two burton boards, because of their good prices.they serve their purpose as well as any stock board of their time.

- So confronted with the gondola invasion....thinking fast---say as "uncool" (goofball nerd style) as possible,

"Come on in- only if you've got pot!"

no one gets on our gondola...

Nice going!

Another line that should work would be "Before you get on this gondola, you should know that I work for the DEA, and I am obligated to act on any evidence of drug possession that I may encounter."

I don't care what people do in their own homes, but I don't wanna be stifled in an oregano haze by a bunch of reeking hippies.

BTW, I ride in a ski bib. The only thing that keeps my a$$ from freezing on the lift. I used to have the Roby brand Stein Erickson-style polyester ski pants--but they, uh, shrank on me somehow.

Last year I joinned, at the last second, 2 guys just loading on a quad. As I had long ponytail and beard, I looked like a cool hippy I guess, so they pulled out a fat one and started puffing. Guy nex to me offered to share, which I politely declined. Then he jokingly said "I hope you don't work for Police?". I calmly responded "Actually, I do..." and just watched their faces changing the colours. I quickly admitted that I was just pulling his leg. With visible relief, he said that for a second he was thinking what should he do - push me of the chair at the deepest spot, or just try to run away once we reached the top...

Good story, Boris!

(BTW, I have nothing against long hair on men, and in my view, long hair in itself does not a hippie make. Maybe the latter has become to vague a term to be useful.)

Smoking anything in a confined space with other people is up there with talking on your cellphone in the elevator or smacking your gum. I think there should be manners police, armed with cattle prods. It's just the broken-windows theory taken a logical step further.

I loved my long hair... Had it twice, first from late 80' to mid 90', then from 2003 to the last summer.

2 main reasons I got rid of it this time around:

Got tired of the knotty mess every time I pulled my helmet off.

My precious little cargo (avatar) enjoyed pulling the fistfulls of my hair at every opportunity, when he was little bit younger...