Note to New Members ×

The Ugly Side of Snowboarding

utahcarver

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, the two on the left were really "Pre-Production". The two shown there are the only ones I have ever seen. It is of course argueable. Tom's "First" board was a school shop project in 64, it would not really qualify as "Production" for the general public. The Wicklund project would push the date back another 20 some years. There was very little snowboard production for re-sale in the 79-80 season. This also depends on the definition of "Snowboard" . Neither Tom or Jack were actually calling their boards "Snowboards" that season. Burton = Burton Boards and Sims= Skiboard (Winterstick = Stick)

So, I think you are both right/wrong and this subject of "When" will of course can be debated for many, many years to come.

I generally answer that I'm a 'hardbooter' when asked whether I ski or board.At my local hill it seems somewhat dubious to be labeled a snowboarder; and for plenty of not so good reasons.In fact,with a few exceptions,most of the 'cool' (in my clouded parental opinion)and easy-to-talk-to kids I know are skiers... and racers at that.I sometimes give the advice to "get really good at hardbooting with a help of a good instructor or coach and you too can be different from the masses and yet 'cool' at the same time".

Yeah,who am I kidding;at least 'chicks' my age(42) seem to dig it and my wife claims it was the way my hardboots lifted my ass that made her want to go out with me 15 years ago.

Of course, most people,especially kids, don't really want to be that different from the masses.

Jack, the two on the left were really "Pre-Production". .....

So, I think you are both right/wrong and this subject of "When" will of course can be debated for many, many years to come.

Well, all I know is that I have a Burton T-shirt that says "since 1977". I believe I read a JBC interview once where he said the first "production" board that was available in stores and not just from the back of his truck was the blue '80-'81 one on the left here:

pg_BurtonTime02.jpg

Well, all I know is that I have a Burton T-shirt that says "since 1977". I believe I read a JBC interview once where he said the first "production" board that was available in stores and not just from the back of his truck was the blue '80-'81 one on the left here:

pg_BurtonTime02.jpg

All of the above can be correct. Since 77 is rather "Open" and Burton staff often contradict their publications and displays. Dating is a rather slippery slope. The photo above is even VERY questionable. There are boards missing in this lineup and they probably had difficulty trying to fit the puzzle together them-selves.

I believe it goes more like (photo from OSB, left to right) 79 / 80/ 81/ 83 / 82/ 84-85 , the 82 and 83 are transposed.

Yes, I need to update the "Backhill Line-UP"

This is a fairly good reason why I have avoided "Dating" the boards in the gallery. As soon as I do, "Corrections" start pooring in.

post-198-141842234497_thumb.jpg

I met Dmitrie (Milovich) years ago and got to see the factory where he was making Wintersticks. I also remember seeing ads for Wintersticks in Powder Magazine during 1976 and 1977. I still remember the look of disbelief on Dmitries' face when I told him that I didn't think his 'snowsurfboard' would last. I'm glad I was wrong. At least, the sport part of it.

I've heard some really great stories about Winterstick and the guys who worked and rode for Dmitri. I hope he does well with Radius Engineering.

Bryan, do you know what year Wintersticks were actually available to the buying public? I figured either you or Marty would know for sure without actually contacting Milovich.

Mark

I was one of the first 20 or so windsurfers at the Columbia River Gorge. Although it was fun to be a pioneer, I don't have any desire to go back to the days of crappy equipment and lonely beaches with no support, training or education about conditions.

I just started alpine boarding a couple of years ago and I am sure I could not have made the substantial progress I have without the great equipment and support from this website, Bomber and Doneck. I have now spent a little over 300 days on the alpine board and have seen the good, the bad and the very ugly from the current generation.

I would say the good has far out weighed the bad. My best memory is of grilling hot dogs in the Timberline parking lot in July and drinking beer with a group of snowboards from New Hampshire after another perfect day on Plamer. Actually the worst thing that has happened involved two Canadian ski instructors who absolutly took me out at Cypress in Vancouver.

Alot of good posts on here are well said...........

IMO Just because your not a park monkey doesnt mean your not a true snowboarder (wether its hard boot or soft).........I think that the best times I had snowboarding is when I hiked (no lift line, no helo, no noise, no crowd) to the top of a mountain and was able to see everything below... and scoped out my line in the powder, right then I was the happiest I have ever been. I mean what more can you ask for...... snowboard + mountain + fresh pow = Peace and Tranquility

IMO Just because your not a park monkey doesnt mean your not a true snowboarder (wether its hard boot or soft).........I think that the best times I had snowboarding is when I hiked (no lift line, no helo, no noise, no crowd) to the top of a mountain and was able to see everything below... and scoped out my line in the powder, right then I was the happiest I have ever been. I mean what more can you ask for...... snowboard + mountain + fresh pow = Peace and Tranquility

Respect.

Amen.

+2 on that. However, some of the best times I've had were late spring hikes with a board on my back w/everyone else in shorts, asking me "where are you going with that??!"

Watch our for those snowmachines! It will not matter if you got your ipod but then you loose the silence and the natural sounds. Wonderful world of cohabitating.

Yeah there is alot of Snowmachines up here, and you do have to watch out for them. I normaly do not listen to my ipod when in the Back Country.....Avalanches are silent and very deadly.

I don't have any desire to go back to the days of crappy equipment and lonely beaches with no support, training or education about conditions.

True........But spending countless days riding on crappy equipment with no support, training, or Ed. has given us all the technological advancements that we use today. Years' spent giving advice about how to make our equipment better has helped the sport evolve. In my opinion, snowboarding has also advanced the skiing industry as well. Would shaped skiis ever have evolved without snowboarding? I can remember racing slalom on 185cm and gs on 205cm. Yes the industry has gone VERY corporate but that is the way of everything today. Some of my best memories will always be of riding the crap equipment with a my friends. Wow....I think that is the longest post I've ever made........gotta catch my breath.

True........But spending countless days riding on crappy equipment with no support, training, or Ed. has given us all the technological advancements that we use today. Years' spent giving advice about how to make our equipment better has helped the sport evolve. In my opinion, snowboarding has also advanced the skiing industry as well. Would shaped skiis ever have evolved without snowboarding? I can remember racing slalom on 185cm and gs on 205cm. Yes the industry has gone VERY corporate but that is the way of everything today. Some of my best memories will always be of riding the crap equipment with a my friends. Wow....I think that is the longest post I've ever made........gotta catch my breath.

Not to mention it was a time when snowboarding was consider CRAZY :freak3: , you were a "Rebel" and Dare-Devil just to give it a go. Full Circle. Some of the gear today is starting to look very similar to the shapes of yester-year. Just took a look at the new Prior "Spearhead". The shape (understanding that the technology is substantially improved" looks allot like some of the 15 year old boards in the collection. This photo of the "Funky" is probably not the best example, just the first I came to that was somewhat close. You get the idea though.

post-198-141842234509_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184223451_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842234511_thumb.gif

True........But spending countless days riding on crappy equipment with no support, training, or Ed. has given us all the technological advancements that we use today. Years' spent giving advice about how to make our equipment better has helped the sport evolve. In my opinion, snowboarding has also advanced the skiing industry as well.

True....for instance, here we have Lib Tech Snowboards are now making skis that are made specifically for freestyle back country badasses.......which are based off snowboards.....

http://www.libtechnas.com/

We(snowboarders and Skiers) have been feeding off each other for not only technique but technology as well. Everyone is out to have a good time. Others are out to feed thier need for the sport.

I started windsurfing in 1974. People said "that's not a sailboat OR a surfboard, what are you thinking"? I thought they were all crazy...for the next 19 YEARS.

I started snowboarding in 1980. People said "that thing is dangerous and just a toy". I thought they were all crazy...for the next 27 YEARS.

I started skateboarding in 1976. People said "that thing is dangerous and just a toy". I thought they were all crazy...for the next 9 YEARS.

I started skateboarding AGAIN this year, 22 years later. People said "that thing is dangerous, what are you thinking, aren't you too old for that"? I think they are all crazy...

The BEST times in my life, and most of the best people I've met, essentially involve ALL of these sports. And I tell anyone who asks to try all of them to this day, and help them get into it if they want - no matter who they are and no matter whether they stick with it.

Many people think I'm crazy. Many people within those sports over all these years have tried to tell me what "is" and "isn't" really part of the sport. Many people have asked whether I'll ever grow up. I think they are all crazy.

Do your thing. Do it the way YOU want to. Enjoy EVERY moment...and all the "other" stuff will just slide off your back and make you laugh. By doing this the world will be a better place because of your attitude towards your life. It will balance out all the other stuff. People will want what you have - and the marketers will try to give it to them, meaning more cool stuff for you to buy and play with...what a GREAT LIFE!!! :D :D :D :D :D

:lurk: Jack I can fill you in on that funky there.

The tail is flat as you say but it's got the "V" tail kinda like the old burton cruiser (spelled the old way). The thing that made it extra "funky" was the "v" tail actually flattened out just on the last inch inch along the edge.

It was a sketchy ride. Stevie D from Flight actually had a similar shape except Stevies worked a little better than the Funky