Note to New Members ×

So, what's YOUR PRIORity?

Kirk

I'm looking forward to getting some time in on this baby. I had heard all the buzz online about metal this and metal that and figured "OK, I need to experience this and make my own conclusion." Arrived at WTC, left the deck that I had brought with me (my Coiler) locked in the car and just went straight to the demo tent, picked up the only one available at the time (183) and said "I would like to ride this." Dave hooked me up and I got to spend some time riding with Billy and some of the other PC Alpine team - great time! By day's end, I had logged quite a few runs on it and the 187. You couldn't wipe the silly grin off of my face with a rough-cut 2 X 4 upside my head! I said "Oh yes, I shall have one" :eplus2:

Of course, when this information was passed along to the better half, all I got was :rolleyes:

It all worked out ;)

post-44-141842233714_thumb.jpg

However to be honest I think I am even more impressed with the Coiler AM-T 172/12.

Mike, I'm assuming the "T" is for Titanal with the 12 being the sidecut? Sounds fun.

I really like the dimensions on this deck, though I wouldn't mind if it had a bit more waist, say around 20 cm. Still blown away at the profile - thinnest thing I've seen on an alpine deck. I guess that's what happens when you eliminate the need for fiberglass.

Buell and Rebecca need to come back out to Utah! I think the crappy '06/'07 winter scared 'em off. I promise we'll have a better season this year :cool:

Nice rooster tail, Kirk! Good to see you got the Metal through the committee.

Utah is still on the short list with a few other locations. Who knows where we will end up this winter, but we had a great time last season. The powder days came late, but we got in some great carving and rode with some great people.

Mike, I'm assuming the "T" is for Titanal with the 12 being the sidecut? Sounds fun.

Yep!

Long story short: Bruce @ Coiler wanted to have someone in addition to himself test out a Titanal AM deck. He knows I'm about the same height and weight as he is and that my season was going into May so I was fortunate enough to be chosen guinea pig. He built a deck with the same shape as my 172 w/ 12 m sidecut, rode it for a weekend and loved it, then sent it to me. I had the week off from work and was able to spend a bunch of time on my own 172/12 AM back to back with the T version in a wide variety of conditions. I would up buying the prototype from him rather than sending it back. Even though I already had one the exact same shape. It's that good.

Plusses: Makes a much better hardpack carver as one would expect. Hooks up harder, grips the hard and bumpy stuff much better. Emergency skid-stops are much smoother, so I felt like I could really push it hard and know that I could bail at the last second. But where it really shines is off-piste, in moguls or a couple of inches of fresh over chunky, bumpy, hardpack (think spring powder after a warm spell). The knees don't feel it anywhere near as much and it tracks very nicely over the crappy bottom. It actually was a good time riding on that stuff rather than looking for the nearest exit.

Minus: Not as much ollie-ability in the deep stuff. I preferred the standard construction (but not by that much) in situations where I was doing most of a run without hitting a solid bottom.

If I could only have one board - this would be it. Almost as much of an ice-killer as the Prior Metal but felt much better than the Prior off the groom.

The standard one is now my park board :-)

yep, Coiler AMs are probably the best freecarver AND the best all mountain carver available for most people IMHO

Prior WCR M is good too but Bruce is a master at getting the flex perfect both in the flex patern and getting the stiffness right for your weight. add metal to that equation and you got something really special.

the price is right on coilers too!

• 3 weeks later...
Got a 177 stiffened to my 190 pounds late last season in the same batch as Buell and Rebecca's boards. It's a fantastic deck. However to be honest I think I am even more impressed with the Coiler AM-T 172/12.

Hi,Mike

How about the durability of those Metals from Prior?

Hi,Mike

How about the durability of those Metals from Prior?

Too early to tell from personal experience - mine has about 6 riding days. My topsheet looks more than 6 days old but I could care less about topsheet scuffs. I'm more interested in how the core holds up, if the base is soft, and if anything bad happens to it after I take it to a reputable tuner (probably Race Place here in Bend - I wasn't as impressed as I was with PTC but light-years ahead of anyone else I've tried in Oregon) for a base grind.

Well I have to say I love the metal WCR!!! Its a great board that can really produce better riding and a more enjoyable experience!!! However if you are planning on thrashing stubbies everyday you might wanna get a couple of back ups. No doubt they are great boards for free carving and racing but my friend Sam and I went through 3 Decks total last season. We are really aggresive though and I think part of the problem was we got them when they first came out and I dont think we ever experienced that perfect flex for our weight. Now I am sure Prior has gotten the kinks out they probably kick some major @$$. Also one of my fellow racers at Nationals Michael Farrell is riding a proto Coiler PR 1 eighty-somethin Titanal Board of Bruce's. Now I bet that board rocks!!! Metal is metal and know matter which NEW metal board you purchase, it will be much better than a wood core!!! Prior, Coiler, Kessler, Tomahawk, and Sg boards are all good choices. I have ridden Prior and currently Kesslers. If I had the money to get one of each Brand I would but when you are in High School 2 or 3 Kesslers and A pair Of Hangl Plates kinda drains the piggy bank for the rest of the year!!! World Cup riders usually say the average life of there metal boards at the cup level is one season at the most...But then again they are really really good and ride at a whole nother level.

Metal is metal and know matter which metal board you purchase, it will be much better than a wood core!!!

:confused:

Can't speak for other Mfgs out there, but the Prior DOES have a wood core (Aspen/Maple to be exact). It's the fiberglass component that is replaced with CF and Titanal

Metal is metal and know matter which metal board you purchase, it will be much better...

Ya, sure...

It's not the metal, it's what you do with it in design/construction proces. Otherwise, you could ride a plain sheet of aluminum. Or an old Volant...

Ya, Um... Im pretty sure thats exactly wat I said In The Reply Right above yours Blue B:eek: !!! "Prior, Coiler, Kessler, Tomahawk, and Sg boards are all good choices" That doesnt include a sheet of metal AKA...Volant. The boards I referred to are NEW Metal boards...They INCORPORATE metal.

I used a bit of exageration to highlight my point:

Even the contemporary metal boards could be very different one to another, depending on design and manufacturing. 14m scr, good nose Prior is surely very different to 18-24 progressive scr, no-nose Kessler.

So saying that metal is metal is a bit out of place.

The nose on a Kessler is actually referred to as KST technology and it is still a nose just very stubby. What you are refferring to are cosmetic differences, both boards claim do do the same thing on snow...Better Edge Hold On Ice... Better Tracking through race ruts... More Damp without sacrificing Responsiveness...Those are the similarities I was telling you about. Just because one has a traditional nose and another has virtually no nose doesnt mean they can have similar riding characteristics.You kinda have to try both to compare and its probably different for everyone. Oh ya just because of a radically different side cut doesnt mean two boards cant ride the same...even though When It Comes To Prior And Kessler they definitely are on two different boards.