Note to New Members ×

Planning ahead to 2007-2008 Season

C5 Golfer

How far ahead do you plan your riding season?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How far ahead do you plan your riding season?

• No - Never - Last minute
    • 1 month in advance
    • 6 months in advance
    • 12 months or more in advance

Being an indecisive person on occasion, but not always, I find that 6 months is too long unless, it's not, and 1 month too short, unless it isn't and 3 months to be just right, sometimes. So I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to write and suggest a 3 month category, so I did, but not without reservations, which can be made anytime except at a resort, sometimes.

So I didn't vote, but I thought about it.

All of the above.

Most of my riding is a 20 minute drive away so I plan based on weather and ride on weekends almost regardless of weather.

We'll occasionally take a trip to another resort if the season is going badly - usually a month or so in advance.

However I'll plan something like attending SES or a SnowPerformance camp 6 months in advance, and OES planning for March 2008 has already begun.

Being an indecisive person on occasion, but not always, I find that 6 months is too long unless, it's not, and 1 month too short, unless it isn't and 3 months to be just right, sometimes. So I couldn't make up my mind whether or not to write and suggest a 3 month category, so I did, but not without reservations, which can be made anytime except at a resort, sometimes.

So I didn't vote, but I thought about it.

So how do you do on planning dinner for the evening? :)

Dinner is no problem unless there's a decision involved. Looking at the menu in a restaurant is like "Gitmo" hell, so I'm pretty reticent about even picking up the menu, and then I have to decide on when to do it. Don't even talk to me about opening up the refridgerator. Consequently my body fat is pretty low, which is a good thing, I think?

Sometimes we're forced into decisions in order to survive and luckily some of those decisions rely on instincts and fight or flight and not the decision making process. No broken bones, no sprains, no serious abrasions in a dozen or so years, so not thinking is sometimes good, but only when forethought is without merit.

Actually, I told my wife I loved her on our first official date. That was over 5 years ago and we got married last year. I think the planning was 4 months in advance so a 3 month plan time would be a better option. I only make decisions when I have to, and then I certainly can delay that until the last minute, unless someone else need the decision earlier.

This year the boys trip didn't happen because we waited for 1 guy to see when he was able to make it, and it just didn't happen. Still managed to get in 30 days and counting.

It also helps to be self-employed and no set work schedule.

A month is enough. Enough to watch The Weather Network with eager anticipation, talk about the snowfalls with friends, pull out all the gear, scrape wax, mount bindings, phone people you only see in the winter, go to the snow shows and the Warren Miller screening, and dig the ski box out from under all the junk in the garage.

I don't get to go until the first weekend in Dec anyway, when exams are over. So I don't really get excited until the start of Nov, even though our hills usually open pretty soon after that. Plus, early season can wreck your good gear.

Ah, good times...

Depending on how you define the term, I would say I start planning it about 3-4 months away. Here in Quebec, that would be September. That's when everything starts going on sale: winter equipment; snowboarding gear; season passes and coupon booklets start; etc.

The key phrase here is "start planning". :)

'later...

almost all of my committing takes place in the 6 mo range. First I find out in the summer/early fall where my ski club is going and figure out the rest of the winter. But on occasion I'll throw something together last minute... like my recent February trip to Silver Mt in Idaho. I got fed up with the poor regional conditions and on a lark threw together an 'on the cheap' week. I was just lucky that work committments were very flexible at the right time.

there are a few trips (such as the ECES) that im already planning, then there are a few trips where i try to get a bunch of people together in a month. but mostly, snowboarding for me is when i call up a friend or two and see if they can ride with me that day. if not, i solo it.

Not much planning to do, I get my seasons pass at my local hill where I ride pretty much all the time, then I'll book probably in Janurary my March trip to Aspen. I already know which week I'm off since I'm a high school teacher and the dates are set well in advance.

Other than that is day by day.. if the weather and snow is good I will take my sick days to go riding.

day by day, but in march, it was everyday. Well almost. I think I got 20 of my 33 days so far in the month of march. If the weathers good, I go...if it isn't, i still go. Quantity not quality for me this season so I can get good enough to make my spring break trip count.:D The crappy weather days usually turn out to be great anyway.

I budget my seasons' pass and resort travel money a year in advance.

It's necessary for me since my wife and daughter aren't as hardcore as me when it comes to winter sliding, so a lot of negotiation is involved.

Another critical factor is that the local hills in Vancouver sell their renewal passes for the next season (07-08) at the end of this season, at extremely discounted rates. When a family pass that goes for $1500.00 is being flogged at $600.00, you suck it up and break open the plastic.

When it comes to where the resort holiday will take place, we usually wait until January when the snowpack is firmed up to make that call.

Am I the only one who belongs to and makes trips with a club? I've been involved with selecting destinations and organizing/costing trips for our club, usually 24 people. In order to get condos of the type/location/qty we want we need to have our plans well set 8 to 9 months in advance. It is the same core group that makes all the trips, 75% of membership only knows how to stay home/drink beer.

It looks like, from the nature of comments here at BOL, for the most part most folks here hang out in loose knit groups of 'local' friends. When you are arranging a trip for 3 to 6 it should be fairly easy to throw something together on short notice.

Cat boarding again in BC at Monashee Powder Jan 7-10 . There is a few spots left yet if anyone wants to Plan and ride pow with some BOL members. We have a group of 5 heading up from PDX and might go early again and ride Crystal Mtn Wa and Silverstar Bc before meeting the at the Cat pickup spot near Kelona.

Jim