How tall a carver are you?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. How tall a carver are you?

• 5' to 5' 3"
    • 5' 4" to 5' 7"
    • 5' 8'' to 5' 11"
    • 6' to 6' 4"
    • 6' 4 and above

I was stuck in a Gondi line last week with a snotty skier that commented first on the "long" length of my 175 cm Maverick, ( yeah, right! ) and then went on and said I was pretty tall ( I'm 6'1" stone sober ) to be a "snowboardracer". He said he skis all over and that it was his observation that "All ski-boot wearing snowboardracers are too short and try to make up for it with giant boards".

Obviously this guy's a waste of a life, but It got me thinking...what IS the average hieght of hardbooters? Are we indeed mostly Dwarfs?

Actually I am 5 11 and a half. But I am not going to put myself in the next lower category. So tie goes to the runner I am in with the 6 footers.

( I'm 6'1" stone sober )
Ok now you have me thinking. Does somehow the theory of relativity cross over into sobriety and time/speed/distance continuums. I know I see some pretty crazy shat when I ben drinking but what is this about????

Actually I am 5 11 and a half. But I am not going to put myself in the next lower category. So tie goes to the runner I am in with the 6 footers.

Ok now you have me thinking. Does somehow the theory of relativity cross over into sobriety and time/speed/distance continuums. I know I see some pretty crazy shat when I ben drinking but what is this about????

I figure I must lose an inch or two if I'm hammered...or worse still, sprawled out and hanging onto the earth for dear life...( like fleaman ) :)

I'm also thinking shorties have an advantage carving LOW..that much closer to the ground already. A head start as it were.

I've never seen any real "little people" carving though.

I've seen some snowboards that freakin reached my knees.. I can only imagine how small the kid who rides it is. Personally I'm around 5' 11" - 6'.. I put myself in the 5'11" category cause I hunch alot. I've also noticed when you drink you start leanin over more....

I'm probabaly going to get spanked for saying this, but skiing seems to attract a lot of people (mostly men) who are convinced they posess intimate knowledge of every snow-sliding object ever concieved. These same types seem to be the ones who cannot help but to point out how your particular method is inferior, though quaint. It is intensely irritating though fascinatingly amusing ... in a manner not unlike watching a mentally-retarded child trying to explain quantum physics to Niels Bohr.

I mean, here you are riding up the lift with highly specific and carefully selected equipment strapped to your feet that fewer than 1% of the snow-sliding population even comprehend, and the guy next to you begins telling you all about "snowboardracers" and such as though he loaned you your equipment at the beginning of the day.

I would not have held my tongue ... "yeah, what the hell are those short guys thinking? I guess they're too busy laying down sick lines to notice all the pomous knowitall jackasses artificially stoking their egos on on gondola."

I'm probabaly going to get spanked for saying this, but skiing seems to attract a lot of people (mostly men) who are convinced they posess intimate knowledge of every snow-sliding object ever concieved. These same types seem to be the ones who cannot help but to point out how your particular method is inferior, though quaint. It is intensely irritating though fascinatingly amusing ... in a manner not unlike watching a mentally-retarded child trying to explain quantum physics to Niels Bohr.

I mean, here you are riding up the lift with highly specific and carefully selected equipment strapped to your feet that fewer than 1% of the snow-sliding population even comprehend, and the guy next to you begins telling you all about "snowboardracers" and such as though he loaned you your equipment at the beginning of the day.

I would not have held my tongue ... "yeah, what the hell are those short guys thinking? I guess they're too busy laying down sick lines to notice all the pomous knowitall jackasses artificially stoking their egos on on gondola."

Absolutely brilliant post.:cool:

thank you,

Jay

Maybe he was confusing short with low to the ground. I mean, most of the carvers you see, their head is only 4 feet, max, above the snow.. We all know this is because the legs are at close to 90 degrees to the rest of the body, but somebody as inexperienced at getting low as this guy may have mistaken that for actual height...

Id have found it impossible to bite my tongue

No way, I think you are joking. :lol:

I am 6'4 and 230, definitely in the clydesdale club

I do get a kick out of short guys with huge attitude to make up for their height.

Kinda like a short man big ego syndrome.

horizontally blessed!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

5'11'' or so here. maybe add a half inch. Shorter people would have the advantage of maybe faster transitions...?

Most carvers i've ridden with are just as tall or taller than me. Come to think of it, Angie might be the shortest carver I've seen.

Ya those world cup guys...definitely need to ride those long boards to make up for their riding ability.

Well hell, 5'6", but I ride big because it feels good. I just bought my first ever pair of skis and they're the same length as my old board: 181. I love seeing people like the one you described. Because I can take whatever shlt they say and totally stomp them into the ground with my response.

Total ownage, and I love it.

(shaking my head...) that skier is an idiot.

Now imagine living in a town filled with people making even dumber comments than that -- people who tell you what you're thinking and what the motivation behind your actions are without asking a single question.

Anyways, before I go on another rant, I will say that in the days of pure GS, the racers were definitely not short. They were big (close to 6 feet). I have noticed that the racers who participate in PGS are generally shorter than the guys I used to see racing GS.

It does make sense, since PGS is more about technique than GS (in a similar way that PSL is more about technique than PGS), which does diminish the advantage of being heavy.

At least, that's the way I see it. :)

queequeg, great post !

'later...