104 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Riding Conditions

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to say "powder", although I also like most other types of snow.

The sort of soft stuff we've had in Snowbird for the last couple of days is just fine by me: great for digging huge trenches. I never had the board slip out of carve once, and you can really lay it down.

I carry two boards: one for [non-resort] powder; the other for piste.

if you answered anything other than powder you should stick to skiing. :angryfire

I guess if you answered anything other than perfect groom, you should be posting on a different forum ;)

My No 1 is groom of any variety

2 pow, but rain compacted snow is almost as good as groom

3 slush, not too bad by any means

4 east coaster can keep the ice (and the frozen corn too - we often get it in the coastal mountains)

Boris

I'm used to the rock hard, yet badly groomed trails. I didn't say I like it, it's just what I get. I'm likin the slush alot cause I can really get down low, but I have a feeling that it's only because I have a hard board and I can't quite get the hard board and the hard snow to play nice together. With good groom that's been hit by the sun for about half an hour is perfect, cause then I have just enough edge hold that I'm not scared to really push into it.

I know I'm going to have a fun day when I step onto the snow at the lift and it "squeeks" underneath my boots. After experiencing "Tahoe Snow" for the first time on an alpine rig recently at Heavenly I finally understood what people have been talking about when they say the snow there is awesome. I'm definitely planning a trip or two over there next season. I can only imagine what the snow in places like Colorado must be like.......(insert drooling smiley face) :biggthump

Powder on a carve board kinda sucks in my opinion. Give me some nice heavy snowfall that is dense and packs down so that you can throw an edge into it with 2 inches sunk in and flat nice trails that don't have any whooptey-doos or mounds of skied off mogulesque piles of powder, and I'll show you EXACTLY how good I am on a board ;)

One foot fresh dump of snow in the northeast with a day of it being pressed down is my idea of perfect :D

Powder on a carve board kinda sucks in my opinion. Give me some nice heavy snowfall that is dense and packs down so that you can throw an edge into it with 2 inches sunk in and flat nice trails that don't have any whooptey-doos or mounds of skied off mogulesque piles of powder, and I'll show you EXACTLY how good I am on a board ;)

One foot fresh dump of snow in the northeast with a day of it being pressed down is my idea of perfect :D

exactly what monday turned out for me :biggthump

1. perfect groom (obviously)

2. Slush

3. Powder

4. ice (not even close to being good enough for it)

5. Grass

I cannot believe more people have chosen groom over powder. You people are either crazy, or from the east coast.

You are on a carving forum :p

And powder isn't exactly ideal for carving.

Still, I can't decide and haven't voted yet. It's definitely a toss up between powder and perfect groom. I need to ride my plate set up on some super fresh pow pow, which I didn't get a chance to do this year.

If the question was "what are your favorite conditions to ride your carving board in?" then groom is obviously the answer.

carving groomed is a blast - I love it. But given the choice of perfect groom/hero snow vs 2+ feet of blower? I'll see you when the smoke clears :D

Every time I go out west or get a powder day in the east, I enjoy myself. At the end of a trip out west, I am always ready to come back home to the hardpack. I really do enjoy it every bit as much if not more.

Fav. conditions on my race sticks - when it thaws and they groom it before it refreezes. They you get frozen groomers that don't show skidded turns at all, but when you carve, there is just a pencil thin mark on them. The stuff is just so fast. AHHHH, delicious. Don't ever fall on the stuff, though, it will ruin your day.

So I guess that I am somewhere between groomers and ice/boilerplate.

The problem with frozen groomers or boilerplates for me is edgehold. I don't think I'm capable of driving hard enough to get my edges to stick, so I keep losing heeledge and slidin around on my ass. Not to mention when it's that hard I get a little nervous and it just throws my form off. HOpefully that will all change with the new SL board.

I had a bunch of days in Japan on hero groom, which is what I call 3-4 feet of freshly groomed powder, that is by far my favorite snow condition. I haven't had a powder board in some time, though if that were an option I would ride it like there's no tomorrow...

Oh yeah Pebu find a Coiler and try it out...they hold on ice better than any board I've ever ridden....and they are cheaper than a Madd

I cannot believe more people have chosen groom over powder. You people are either crazy, or from the east coast.

I am from the East Coast, and never seen REAL powder, only loose snow turned to bumbs. And I don't have the luxury of riding during mid-week, so it doesn't.

Well, come to think of if, I have seen real powder only when snowshoeing.

Never hardbooted on "perfect" groom conditions but I imagine it's right up there with 1' - 2' of fresh powder.

I often tell my skier friends that snowboarding in powder is about as good as sex except that you can do it all day long.