Note to New Members ×

Picture of perfect toeside

kirtap

This might be a long shot, but, a few years ago, a picture was posted of the perfect toeside. I looked for it, and found a link under a post by Jack, labeled Perfect Toeside, but the link was outdated. Not sure if that was it. It had a picture of a guy on a Madd I think, regular stance, turning into the camera from the right side of the frame. There was a mountain peak in the background. He was not wearing a helmet, but just a hat and some goggles. I don’t know how else to describe it, and that’s why it’s a long shot. Anyone happen to know what I’m talking about? Please post it again, that was what I drooled over during the summer.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just so I can get a handle on "good" toeside form, please correct or elaborate on any of these observations:

1) He's rotated into the turn, but not so much that he's perpendicular to the board (ie binding angle<rider angle<long axis of board)

2) He's kinked at the waist to get his shoulders as close to parallel with the slope as possible.

3) His weight looks pretty well forward.

4) His back hand is at his front boot cuff.

Just so I can get a handle on "good" toeside form, please correct or elaborate on any of these observations:

1) He's rotated into the turn, but not so much that he's perpendicular to the board (ie binding angle<rider angle<long axis of board)

2) He's kinked at the waist to get his shoulders as close to parallel with the slope as possible.

3) His weight looks pretty well forward.

4) His back hand is at his front boot cuff.

1) I see very little rotation of his upper body. If anything he is riding in a slightly countered position. (Cross under type carve). Countered is vastly different than counter rotating.

2) The kink at the waist (hip) is what moves his shoulders away from being right over his feet.

3) From what I can see of flex of board and spray of snow he is centered.

4) Front hand is at front boot cuff. Back hand is about 8 inches off snow uphill from board.

Yeah honestly the second one doesn't look good to me. The vids are cool sometimes, but a single frame makes it look like the guy is just flopping down on the snow and hoping to pull out of it. I know this is not the case, but it still looks so ugly in a still frame.

The pic of Chris is a cool one, I would change a few things to make it a "perfect toeside", at least the way I envision a perfect toeside. There are many different schools of thought when it comes to a perfect turn. My idea of a perfect turn is the one where you gain the most speed out of it.

Good enough?

I like that one, and the "Mad" one. The extreme carving stuff looks rather odd to me - diving for the snow just looks weird. I can see it's very tricky and all, but then so are the aerial tricks, and I've little interest in them also. It's all good of course, but to me forcing yourself down into the snow is just looks odd.

"De gustibus non est disputandum"

How would you critique the Jasey picture w.r.t. Jack's article? He's bent at the waist, hips almost higher than shoulders, the main difference that I see from some of the "don't" pictures in the article is that the hands aren't touching the snow. Inside shoulder still dropped in a bit. Otherwise it seems almost the opposite of the Karol picture from the top.. and there the hands seem to hold up the shoulders so that they're semi-parallel to the slope.