Note to New Members ×

So I skied this weekend...

tex1230

But who cares :angryfire

Rode at Pico, VT on Saturday - I think I'm finally getting the Madd 170 dialed in. (total of 12 days riding this season...pitifully low but that's the reality of the east coast season)

If you're near Killington you really owe it to yourself to check this place out. It has steeps every bit as challenging as Killington (IMHO), a couple of great wide intermediate runs, and plenty of easier terrain...and for half the price of a Killington ticket and absolutely no crowds, It's really worth your time.

Yeah, I was aiming for 30 days this season, but the damn weather wouldn't cooperate with me.

This weekend saw 90F+ temps at sea level, and it's going to continue through out the rest of this week.

I went up to the slopes yesterday, and the season is officially over in SoCal, unless things change. Slopes had 60-65F temps.

So, I'm thinking 16 days for this season, unless something miraculous happens.

Steeps - Upper Pike (summit Quad) - groomed pretty well

Bronco (Outpost Double) - not sure if they groom it too often - was good in the morning but got bumped up fast. if you like steep moguls it's good. (fun on skis...)

wide blue carvers - mid and lower pike, fools gold, Forty Niner

It is a smaller hill, but when it's a choice between 45 minute waits at the gondola at Kmart and a little less variety, I like it. The base area condos are a nice place to stay, but the food at the base kinda sucks. bring lunch.

There is great food at some of the high end places in Colorado (Beaver Creek and A$$pen)

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I tried the $24 burger at the base of Highlands during the SES. It turned out to be the best burger I've ever had in my life. Holy $#!+. Totally worth it.

Sorry to hear that.

:cool: sorry couldn't hold that in any longer

J

I also boarded...just having a major problem with my 6-year old. He HATES ski school, won't listen to instructors...I have been trying to get him on a board since he could walk...he is having none of it.

"I want to ski, and I want Daddy to teach me" - Austin the dictator

Matt- it sounds like junior has the right attitude for a snowboard. Strap him in and give him a little nudge out the nest, he'll figger out how to fly.

a $24 burger ? :lol:

East coast ski area restaurants generally suck. There is great food at some of the high end places in Colorado (Beaver Creek and A$$pen) but outside of that the food on resort is generally THE SUCK

a burger off the tailgate grill in any sunny parking lot with spring slush waiting beats any high brow rip off booger hands down.

I never had good food in any american ski resort.

Same here, as a result, I almost never buy food at the resort. I just eat one Cliff bar (or something like it) on the drive up, and maybe another one mid-day. Works out better that way, I don't like the feeling of food in my stomach while boarding.

I drive down and eat AFTER boarding.

BTW, how're temps and conditions holding up there on the east coast?

I also boarded...just having a major problem with my 6-year old. He HATES ski school, won't listen to instructors...I have been trying to get him on a board since he could walk...he is having none of it.

"I want to ski, and I want Daddy to teach me" - Austin the dictator

Switching to skis to teach your kid is totally a legitimate reason (:biggthump) I also use my splitboard in ski mode to skin out to remote locations.

But, downhill skiing for fun... eh, less of a reason in my eyes, I'll leave it to you older gentlemen (and ladies) who still have their neon one-pieces sitting in their closets for April Fool's Bring Back the Good Olde Days ;)

We snuck under the rope and poached the 49r the day it was supposed to open, :nono: then attended the ceremony. That was the 80s and I was on Skis. Went there in 2002 for a Killing Carve fest but I totally sucked then so I don’t remember the terrain. Word is that’s the place to go on Saturdays to beat the K-mart crowds

• 2 weeks later...
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I tried the $24 burger at the base of Highlands during the SES. It turned out to be the best burger I've ever had in my life. Holy $#!+. Totally worth it.

But the parmesan oil fries sucked!, as did the wimpy beer selection(no porters or brown ales)

mario

I've always tried to switch back and forth between one and two planks...

The cross-training has always helped me out, and the more one does both, the more principles one finds in common in both.

I tend to ride and ski with almost the same form....

Jay

For two of the last three years I was the only competitor (of 1300+) at the NASTAR Nationals to wear two bibs. I probably would have been again this year (competition at Steamboat begins tomorrow) but two broken ribs and pneumonia kind of dissuaded me from making the trip.

I really do enjoy skiing as well as boarding. In early February I spent a week in Davos switching back and forth. Here's a short clip (part of it was posted before). I've been experimenting with slow motion and fast motion in Movie Maker. Anyhow, here's how a 60 year old spent his winter vacation. Note: I know my riding sucks. I need to hook up with you guys when the ribs heal to get some pointers.

In early February I spent a week in Davos switching back and forth. Here's a short clip (part of it was posted before). I've been experimenting with slow motion and fast motion in Movie Maker. Anyhow, here's how a 60 year old spent his winter vacation. Note: I know my riding sucks. I need to hook up with you guys when the ribs heal to get some pointers.

pat moore- next season you're in europe, stop out at one of our snowsport schools and take a lesson with "Jan", a 60-something university professor/ex-PSIA examiner who both rides and skis. he's phenomenal.

Jay

Wasnt that amazing? Best burger I ever had, but then again I am greek. I dont know any better!

... the Aussies can back me up here when I say that a burger ain't a burger unless it has butter on both sides, at least 2 hunks of dead cow, extra bacon, lettuce, cheese, tomato, an egg, a pineapple ring, and a humungous toasted bun to hold it all, and is about eight inches high. And if you're in New Zealand it has to have beetroot (pickled beets) on it as well.

Actually, the other half had a killer burger at Panorama this season, I think there were three slabs of meat in there and it was only $8. $24? Must have been the HELL burger...

You don't need to go this far for an amazing burger. Here in Montréal we have some amazing huge burger at the Auberge du Dragon Rouge. It's a medieval type restaurant and the burgers are 1/3, 1/2 or 1 pound, available with either beef, boar or deer. Here is the burger menu (sorry, French only).