Note to New Members ×

Are my new boots too small?

queequeg

I just recieved a brand new pair of Head Stratos Pro's, Mondopoint 26.0, and I think they may be a bit small. I know boots are supposed to be uncomfortable initially but these are *REALLY* uncomfortable, in one particular area--my big toe.

My gut says the boots are a size too small and that I should exchange them for a pair 27.0's

My big toe in both feet is pressing against the front of the boot, more so in the left (hurts!) than on the right (not so bad). On the right side, the pressure is enough that the toe can't lay flat, it is bent. the pressure is in front and on the interior side of the toe.

When I do a boot shell test I can fit one finger (no more, no less) between the shell and my heel with no liner in the boot, as I understand it, this is the very minimum amount of space you want to have.

The boot feels fine everywhere else, but my big toe on both feet is getting crushed. I don't want boots too big, but I don't want to heat mold the liner and still have them be too tight ... because I won't be able to return the boots then.

Maybe a bootfitter can help me determine whether I should keep or return them. Any recommendations on a bootfitter in NYC?

Thanks for the surefoot info, that was very helpful.

I just spoke to the guy at surefoot on the phone, and he thinks that's a pretty tight fit, and that it wouldn't hurt if I moved up to a 27.0, which was my suspicion. He said the only people people riding with one finger on a shell test are racers who want an insanely tight fit. I may bring them in to him just to be sure, but given what he told me I think I ought to go a size up.

I'm coming back to riding after a 2 year hiatus. My first trip is going to be to Mt.Hood and I can't make it up to VT before then, otherwise the startinggate would be the place to go for sure. I used to ride on the east coast (NH/VT), then moved to oregon, now back in NYC.

You could go a size up or what you could do is have your boots banged out in the big toe section. Its iffy how far they could bring it out though, and then your new/unused boots aren't really new anymore, so a 27 probably isn't a bad idea.

I'm no bootfitter. I'm just going off of what I've heard.

My big toe in both feet is pressing against the front of the boot, more so in the left (hurts!) than on the right (not so bad). On the right side, the pressure is enough that the toe can't lay flat, it is bent. the pressure is in front and on the interior side of the toe.

Sounds like a perfect fit to me. Once the liners break-in, you will be fine. The liner will compress both in the heel and toe. If you go to a bigger size, you will be swimming in the boot once they break-in.

If you need immediate relief, consider putting in a small heel lift. Go see a good bootfitter! I would highly recommend against going to a bigger size.

My neighbor and his daughter both went through this earlier this season. They went against recommendations, bought boots that were super comfy while test fitting, after 10 days riding they are both swimming in their boots, to the point that dad just sprained his ankle (while riding) because his foot had so much movement. They have both just purchased their second pair of boots this season; they downsized to the correct size.

Hokay, I'll go see the surefit people after work and see what they think. The toe is banging the front *hard* but I do feel fine everwhere else, and I know they will push out a bit, but the question is how far will they push out.

So: does anyone have any experience with this boot in particular? How much can the liners in a pair of Head Stratos Pros push out?

Just how much can a bootfitter punch out the toe of my shell if necessary?

the mondopoint of the boots is a 26, and that's what I measured (longest foot, rounded down).

thanks for all the advice!

I'm going to try a new footbed this afternoon, otherwise, the liners have not been moulded yet (once I mould them I own the boot, so that is why I am trying to figure this out before I mould them). I know they will be tight before I mould them, the question is: how tight is acceptable.

When I spoke to bomber this afternoon they indicated I'm probably teetering on the edge, which seems to suggest that when I mould the liners they will either be perfect, or they will be a bit on the tight side.

When I go to the bootfitter this afternoon I will try some better footbeds, some heel lift and such, to see what that does (before moulding).

head liners arent the same as deeluxe. Only parts of the lower are moldable, PLUS they do half-size their liners, but I believe its by use of a different shim for the even size, a smaller one for the .5 to allow more room. You could possibly remove/replace the shim that is under the liner as well...OR go up to 26.5 but not 27

shell size is the same on 26.5 though

I just went through this with Head Stratos. Bought a 25 and 26 to do a direct compare. 25 had one tight finger on shell test and 26 had a good two fingers. In this case the 25 is the only option. It's all about how it fits in your heel and around your ankle. If that's not firm then you will have no control and at best it will cause you to use your hips and arms to turn instead of your feet and at worst you can, in fact, injure your foot.

I would keep the shells and work on liner options. The Head liners are only moldable in the ankle, not the toes, but they will pack out. How much pain between now and then is hard to tell. And while the shells are whole sizes the liners are half. So if you have a 26.0 liner you may find a 26.5 liner gives you that little extra room. Thermoflex liners are also an option. I have ridden head boots with them.

Comments about heel lift and footbeds are also valid. The heel lift pulls your toes back a bit and the footbed supports your foot so it doesn't flatten and widen in the boot. And when all that is done, you can still have the shell blown out as necessary.

If you are in NYC and have the cash then I highly recommend the Surefoot footbed. Easy and very accurate and a bargain when compared to other footbed options. The machine is topnotch and takes a lot of the trial and error out of tweaking in the footbed fitting process.

Unfortunately, you, like me, do not fit perfectly in to an off the shelf boot so there may be a little work getting it right. Based on what I know (which does not include seeing the look of pain on your face when you wear these things) I'd say that while your shells may not be the perfect size to start, they are the right choice.

Take your liner out and check the inside of the shell. There is bump that presses against your big toe. Any good bootfitter will grind it off for a couple bucks. I did this on my 2 pairs of Stratos. You will feel the difference immediately.

Take your liner out and check the inside of the shell. There is bump that presses against your big toe. Any good bootfitter will grind it off for a couple bucks. I did this on my 2 pairs of Stratos. You will feel the difference immediately.

If your big toes curl upward like mine, you'll hit that bump if the boot is the right size for you. I didn't like th Heads for other reasons, but if I had kept them, that bump would have been ground down or off.

I got my Head's fitted at that Surefoot in NYC. Had them for two seasons now and they still feel pretty good. I was a little nervous at the fit as I felt they were pretty tight but after a couple seasons, they're totally packed out and now they're perfect. Have Surefoot really scrutinize the sizing before any grinding is done. That way you can exchange the boots for a bigger size if necessary.

the footbeds have had a very positive effect, the toes are pressing much less (though they're still pressing, but I'm sure the boot will pack out enough to eliminate the discomfort. I may have to grind a bit out of the toe on my left foot, but I can go without that until I get a good day in on them.

Thanks again for all of the advice, this morning I was ready to send them back but now I think they're probably going to be just about as perfect a fit as I could hope for.

thread a handle of something inside the liner, and bash it with a hammer lightly, in the toe big toe area, will pack out all the foam in a few minutes and then you will have much more room.

Lots of gentle hits with a cloth or something to ensure you don't tear anything; 12 days on the hill with crushed toes or 5 minutes for each liner at home, and gets the same result.

Also...do have a feel inside the shell, lots of boots have little extrusions and lumps and ribs that are NOT for your pleasure. Grind them off.

Too small always beats too bitg. FOr boots.

queequeg, cram a harpoon in there and stretch those bad boys out.

Queequeg takes his harpoon everywhere he goes, even using the blade of the harpoon to shave himself.

You know, I've used this moniker in a number of places online and you are one of the few to identify its origin correctly ... most people think its a dog from the X-Files (??!) ... doesn't anybody read anymore?

cheers!

You know, I've used this moniker in a number of places online and you are one of the few to identify its origin correctly ... most people think its a dog from the X-Files (??!) ... doesn't anybody read anymore?

cheers!

do you tenderize your food before eating?:smashfrea:freak3:

J