Note to New Members ×

Kinda wierd, but do you like where you live?

Justin A.

I'm not just talking about for snowboarding and stuff here though. I just want to know if you like it where you live and why or why not.

I'll start.

I hate it where I am. It takes me 20-25minutes to get to the supermarket in town, but I'm still close enough to the dense areas for me to not be able to see much of the stars in the sky at night. The crimerates have been climbing for the last 8 years or so, due to spillover from the *bad* areas of Massachusetts. The population in the area has boomed in the past few years and the roads are showing it. They just weren't built to withstand the kind of traffic they get now, and traffic is also getting pretty bad (relativley speaking...it's not exaclty the lincoln tunnel here...). I'm close enough to be within the fallout zone from the Seabrook NPS, but it takes me almost an hour an a half to get to the beach. I can see the Mountains from the firetower up the street on a VERY clear day, but it takes better than two hours to get to them. Rant off.

The area does have it's redeeming qualities though. I went to a very good high school, we have a decent hospital, the car dealer we buy all of our cars from is AMAZING, and its a hell of alot better than where I and the rest of my family used to live in New Jersey.

Your turn!

And please tell me your AMAZING car dealership is not Grappone...those people are schiesters.

GOD no. We've been buying our cars from Allen Motors (go figure, it's our last name too) since we moved up here 18 years ago. They pretty much treat us like royalty, and it works to keep us coming back. I just bought my first vehicle from them last week, and they actually went out of their way to explain everything to me, and make it as much of a learning experience as possible for me. Very very good people. I have a few stories about Grappone that I could tell, but this isn't the place...

I prettymuch love where I live. Right now I'm living with my brother, (i'm 23, he's gonna be 28 or somethin). We work at the same place, so it just makes sense. But anyways, we're on 20 wooded acres, we burn wood to heat our water/house. Walmart, meijers and the rest of downtown is just about 5-10 minutes away. We live down a dirt road which turns into a seasonal road and then a 1100 foot long driveway, so we don't see people. that makes me happy. I grew up going to a school where my graduating class was 47 people. We can prettymuch do whatever we want out here and still go into town right quick if we wanted. So that's the deal with me. I definately want to stay somewhere north west michigan... mmmm.

Anyways, that's it.

The only thing that I would like better is if we lived in/near the mountains. The ski area that I coach/teach at is only 15 minutes away. Small, but with a free family pass we get plenty of riding each winter. My town is about 4000 people. :sleep: Rochester (85,000) is 15 miles away. My wife works at the Mayo Clinic; so because of the benefits, we are "stuck" here. We own 65 acres to the south of us and 200 acres in Northern Minnesota and are trying to decide which one to retire on in 30 years. I grew up in SoCal so I miss the ocean and the mountains within fairly close driving distance. This is a great area to raise a family, decent boarding is close, and I can walk out my back door and hunt geese, pheasants, and deer. Yup, I like it.

I live in a super small town (pop. 3500) right at the base of BEAUTIFUL Mount Shasta (14,673 ft.) down in the valley of the Northern Sierra Nevadas an hour fom the Oregon border. We dont get too much snow on an average about 3-6 feet in town and at our local ski park. The temperatures are pretty mild for a Winter (Not too hot not too cold). It takes about 20 minutes on a good day to drive from town to the ski park, 35 on a busy day. Its a very small ski park at the time (3 lifts) but looking to expand.Very laid back community with a HUGE Alpine Racing scene (More raceboards in one county then I've seen anywhere!!!No Joke. Well maybe not Colorado!) Realty prices are starting to settle but are still pretty expensive. Great town, Beautiful, tons of nature to explore and a huge mountain in the background, Sacramento River, and more. I consider myself Lucky to be born here.

I live in a super small town (pop. 3500) right at the base of BEAUTIFUL Mount Shasta (14,673 ft.) down in the valley of the Northern Sierra Nevadas an hour fom the Oregon border. We dont get too much snow on an average about 3-6 feet in town and at our local ski park. The temperatures are pretty mild for a Winter (Not too hot not too cold). It takes about 20 minutes on a good day to drive from town to the ski park, 35 on a busy day. Its a very small ski park at the time (3 lifts) but looking to expand.Very laid back community with a HUGE Alpine Racing scene (More raceboards in one county then I've seen anywhere!!!No Joke. Well maybe not Colorado!) Realty prices are starting to settle but are still pretty expensive. Great town, Beautiful, tons of nature to explore and a huge mountain in the background, Sacramento River, and more. I consider myself Lucky to be born here.

Robby - How much are 1 BR apartment rents? How far to Bachelor from there?

See this...

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=14147

I love where I live. Bend has everything my family and I need, it's 20 minutes to the chairlift at Bachelor from my house, and there's plenty to do during the summer (hiking, mtn biking, kayaking, fishing, a ridiculous number of supposedly very nice golf courses - I don't golf so I wouldn't know, etc, etc, etc)

Sure, it's expensive and all that, but I still have a hard time imagining where I'd want to live more.

There are many places in this world I would rather be. Obviously the lack of powder here really has me down, and the lack of ocean waves has me dreaming of owning my own piece of California. but there are other things I still don't like about where I live. The industry of my city (gloversville) has shifted overseas, leaving the majority of its people poor and hopeless, and over time lazy, careless and bitter. Needless to say you wont find very friendly neighbors here. Most of downtown is run down and deserted. Many beautiful neighborhoods with great old victorian houses have become filthy slums. Walmart and McDonalds have become such popular stores here that some of my peers (teens) hang out at these places for fun instead of going to movies/parties/games/concerts/skate parks/mountains etc. How boring can you get? In short, gloversville has become a dirty, boring eyesore. However, it is in a a good location as far as giving me access to the mountains, lakes and forests of the Adirondacks in one direction, and the malls, airport, train station, and highways of Albany in the other so relief is only an hour or so away from where I'm sitting. Of course there are many cities and towns like mine out there, and there are some far worse than where I live, but I don't plan on settling down in any of them.

I like it here, aside from the little problem of being 8 hours from the mountains. It's a small city (200K) with very few traffic problems. The summers are beautiful with lots of stuff to do, and the lake country is 90 minutes away. For a small place, it's got a lot of music, theatre and art. It's on a river, so even though it's a prairie town it's quite green. Plus most of my family and friends are here. Tried living in Calgary, missed everything here too much, enough to give up easy mountain access.

As an added bonus, the economy is booming here and we're at full employment according to the government.

My mom says 1 bedroom apartments go anywhere from $500-$1000. also there is not a USASA series her but in Tahoe thats were I race USASA. We have a Huge High School racing scene and our local college puts on a Snowboarding class were we run gates Wednseday, Friday, and Sunday. If you are serious about moving somewere out west I could check on some prices in the Northern California area including Tahoe???

:freak3: Santa Cruz is great for weather. Not too hot or cold. I cool my house with a ceiling fan in the summer, and have the best surfbreaks on the West Coast. :argue: But, then there are the gangs of surf punks :argue: and elitist surf snobs. :cool: And the hoards of newby surfers :biggthump that feed the surf punks (point rats). :boxing_sm I fantasize :AR15firin about cleaning it all up and starting over again, like :cool: not letting the university take over the town...oh, and $2200 a month for a rundown 3 bedroom, one bath house. :angryfire Tahoe is around 4hrs away. :(

Where was I? Oh yeah, Santa Cruz...sphttt...yeah.... :p It's all about where your heads at. Now where did I leave my sleeping bag. ;)

I'm seriously bored...later

I love the Northwest. Eugene is a good size town with access to ocean and mountains. Portland is only 2 hours away when we need a city fix. Fortunately, we are free to travel in the winter, cause the rain and gloom on our side of the mountains can definitely get one down.

I live outside Seattle just east a bit. Love it here - moved here from Iowa in 1970 so I am almost a native. Some of the reasons that make Seattle- PNW a great place are I can snowboard in the morning at 3 different places and be home by 1:00 and play 18 holes of golf in the afternoon in shorts, or ride my road bike. Additionally we have saltwater recreational areas a plenty to sea kayak or fish for the mighty salmon which would be cooked over PNW alder wood. We have many hiking and camping areas at any elevation you are willing and able and I stress the able to climb to. Mountains also a plenty with many Nat'l forests and parks that are breath taking. We are just big enough to be a big city with a little city feeling. We are only 2 hrs from the Canada border which offers the wonderous British Columbia - Which is WA state on steriods.

I am looking towards retirement soon and find there are so many offerings here to keep me busy and off the couch. Basically any outdoor activity you can name - we do it here. I have not mentioned the rain that is here every day (local lie and we laugh at how we have fooled the rest of the USA) so please do not move here. Visit yes - just please do not stay! :lol:

I'm moving if that explains it!

I don't mind MA as long as it's western MA, hate most of NH, not too big on ME and I like VT allot.

I'm headed to CA because I can, not sure I'll like that area of CA but there's a job, housing and some rather nice company, I'll probably stay unless something crazy happens in prior to my return flight departing that makes me want out.

Bangkok. My apartment was like $75k USD for 1000sq feet right near a big park; i eat dinner for a buck that is way better than Thai food anywhere outside Thailand; I earn a decent wage and I can go out any night to a decent club or place and know it isn't going to be dead/empty (unlike in NZ). Lots of cheap stuff to buy especially clothes, 2 hours to get to my boat and windsurfing where it is 80 degrees almost every day and good sailing breezes. Cable ski 30 minutes away for $5 for 3 hours; muay Thai gym to train when i can be bothered within walking distance from my house with a trainer who was a 2 weight champion at Ratchadamnoen; only in Asia do my genes and language skill have any benefit to me.

Downside - not near snow. MASSIVE DOWNSIDE. 26 hours to get to Tahoe. 10 hours to get to Yong Pyong Korea. Probably 18 hours to get to Ruapehu NZ.

Wouldn't change it for anything in the world though :-)

I like where I live, It's a small island in north Puget sound, about 2000 year round residents, and very little rain (a lot less than Seattle, about 75 miles away). It takes too long to get to the mountains from here (125 miles each way, but close to 4 hours due to the ferry) even though I can see Baker from my house, and Mt. Washington from my shop. Not real convenient for whitewater kayaking and rafting either, but sea kayaking is big here so I'll have to get one (I've been thinking about it for a few years). I live in the woods, at the end of a long dirt road on a cattle ranch, so it's real quiet which is nice.It takes about 20 mins. to get to the village (1 market, 1 gas station,)and the speed limit is only 45 (it will be 35 soon). No crime, everyone knows each other, but we're being overrun by people from Ca.

I've lived in NY, MA, and ME, and like it in WA., I don't think I could live on the east coast again, way too many people.

Beantown is my home. I've lived in Colorado, California and Hawaii and always end up coming back here eventually.Close to the beaches of Cape Cod, close to the mountains of ME, NH and VT. Good (not great) surfing on the RI coast.Living in a town full of colleges breeds lots of great culture, too.

Downside is the winters are tough when there's no snow up north. The plan is to head down to our place in Brasil for a good part of the winter.Take a few trips out west (and hopefully Chile in the summer) for some real world class boarding.

Then there's the bad boys from Boston. I've got alot of great friends here that would be really missed if I moved away.

You talk about things that nobody cares

Youre wearing out things that nobody wears

Youre calling my name but you gotta make clear

I cant say baby where Ill be in a year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTD-Su8zmk

post-123-141842225336_thumb.jpg

I would live no where else on earth! Even with the influx of out of staters moving in, It is relatively cheap and the services are top notch. the local community college has ivy league professors etc. people want to live here and they bring their talent with them. pick a sport and we have it. When it gets to crowded I don't know where I will go!:1luvu: