Dear Buck Hill Diary...

bobble

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this morning was anything to go by, we should have the place to our selves Sunday morning.

BobD

not a big fan of -40F windchills. i salute you, bob!

i went into work this morning. if i hadn't i might've shown up just for the adventure. can't imagine what its like up at lutsen, giants ridge, or spirit.

i'm undecided about sunday morning.

These mild winters are making wimps out of everybody. As Trent was saying, the league race had about 10 people turn up. So few in fact that they didn't bother with a parrallel course, just one set of gates. So milkrun was very usable.

I would say, there have been other times this season when I have felt colder. Also with the place being empty, it was no problem to go inside for 10 mins. I stayed for a little over an hour, but only left because I woke up with a stiff back (hazard of having kids who sneek into your bed and squash you onto the edge of the bed). Going to take plenty of ibuprophen befor going tomorrow.

BobD

Thanks Matt! Was a good time and all the kids are showing improvement.

Yeah...USASA Races at Wild were very, very cold.

I don't remember ever getting so-cold, so-quickly while snowboarding.

(Maintenance guys started complaining when the lifts were

stalling or shutting down due to the cold weather.)

Despite my frozen toes, numb nose, and icy eyebrows, the runs

were left groomed and vacant... so naturally I stayed out and

carved some runs with Richie 'til about 2:30..

Yeah...I'm still thawing, so might skip Buck tomorrow..

~Karl

I'm out at Buck right now. It is 7:30pm and there is STILL untracked cord on every run. The snow looks fantastic.

I haven't decided if I'm coming out tomorrow, just because I have so many projects I need to be working on right now, but it should be great as long as you are prepared for it.

it was -10F walking out the door. the snow is r e a l l y good but that wind from the north is nasty. very few people out. i was out for less than an hour when i realized i broke another toe-bail. i noticed that my boot was loose in the binding while riding up the chair. came home to replace it.

I was at Hyland today from 9-11. There was a competition in the park, but other than that, I was almost the only one riding the hill. Going up the lift on North, it was almost all my trenches, except maybe 2 or 3 random skiers. I don't think I've ever wanted a camera so bad, it was amazing. The snow was probably the best I've ridden on all season. But at 11 they started setting up gates so I thought it was time to go.

headed out to afton. man, my predictions were wrong! lots of people out there today! seriously. they had 2 races going, plus some d-team racing (saw the buck people there), ussa practice, nastar, and the ski patrol clinics. so i was wrong on it not being crowded.

plus they are still making snow out there, as they have been the last 2 weeks. how many snow guns were going, you ask? all of them, i think. it was crazy. so it varied from groomed to blown snow. and it was slow. i was bombing the hill just to get speed.

lasted an hour, then decided to get home and finish cleaning for the commercial bowl party.

-trent

replaced my toe bail and went back out. it got crowded at one point. there were 3 skiers on crossroads.

there was ski racing going on. i was amazed that they were racing in their speed suits. up on top the wind was blowing strong from the north. i couldn't understand why the speed suits in this cold weather. after their racing they promptly left.

bob d showed up. the snow was fantastic. one of those days where you hate to leave. i think on a warmer day i would've stayed longer. bob and myself had the hill to ourselves. there might've been one skiier. the lifties stopped bumping chairs. they'd either slow it down or nothing at all.

we took a break to warm up. went out for a few more runs and then left.

there's still some cord left if anyone feels like heading out.

they should come over to afton. most of the lifties there suck at bumping chairs! they'd fit right in.

but... when i'm out riding in the extreme cold, i don't expect them to freeze, just because i'm not bright enough to stay indoors. they can sit in their shack for all i care. come out when needed to restart the lift. :p

-trent

I was at buck this morning. It was cold, but nice. Maybe 15 poeple or so out, total. The Snow was great, as usual. There was still cord when I left at 1. There is only so much I can carve up by myself. The lifties were not really bumping the lifts, just slowing them down, unless a ski patrol was near. The threat of losing your job over it must not compare to the cold of standing in one spot for a long time. I tried to tell them not to bother bumping my lift, or even slowing it down. One lifty caught on.

well, at this very moment i'm sitting in the aspen mountain lodge. moira and i got into aspen about noon. the weather is relatively warm, around 19F. our room wasn't ready so we just explored aspen and got some lunch. i must admit, my sphincter tightened when i saw aspen mountain. good lord! the gondola just keeps going. saw lots of bumps which would be a bitch to be on. not sure i'm ready for aspen mountain or ajax.

ventured over to the bomber tent. picked up my stuff. saw lots of people riding some pretty boards and long. i've suddenly developed an inferiority complex about my board.

we caught up with trent and tom. had beers. there were alot of people. sort of the United Nations of carving. hung around for the raffle. won some wax and a t-shirt.

tomorrow i plan on going to buttermilk. plan to demo boards.