Dear Buck Hill Diary...

bobble

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was out at Buck this morning. It was great. The snow was confidence inspiring. The grooming seemed seemless. I was feeling significantly more confident than have all year, then the light went flat, really flat, and the fun was over.

wish i could go boarding and then go to work.

are the boots holding up?

The boots are working really well. Thanks again. I actually think I will try and get a stiffer pair next year and use these as more of a freeride boot, but I am not complaining in the least. I am just learning what I might prefer. I know my work situation is different than most peoples. It has it's pro's and Cons, trust me. I'll be out tommorrow morning though, sorry if you can't make it, but if you or anyone else can make it that would be great.

The boots are working really well. Thanks again. I actually think I will try and get a stiffer pair next year and use these as more of a freeride boot, but I am not complaining in the least. I am just learning what I might prefer. I know my work situation is different than most peoples. It has it's pro's and Cons, trust me. I'll be out tommorrow morning though, sorry if you can't make it, but if you or anyone else can make it that would be great.

i do have tomorrow off but i think i might be heading to welch tomorrow morning. hope there's sunlight.

i posted some 3d pictures on the off topic forum.

friday. went to welch. good conditions prevailed. the only problem was racing was going on. good day for carving although they could do a better grooming job. in the evening i went to duluth.

saturday. went to snowboarding on spirit. i was fatigued from riding on friday. ran into russ and ryan up there. morning there was sun, afternoon it went flat. the run next to 4-pipe, scissor bill, had nastar going on. the one over, bindle stiff just plain sucked. not carveable. lots of ice and rollers. went over sky hooker. very carveable but too many racers pseudo-carving down the hill. would it hurt just to let their skis do the carving?!? there were some exceptional ski carvers but they were few. went down sky hooker maybe 3 times. i don't like looking over my shoulder. spent most of the day on 4-pipe or double jaw. on a sad note... a skier hit a tree and died. i don't know what run but i do remember riding the lift around 3pm with russ when we saw a snowmobile gunning down 4-pipe extremely fast. there was flashing lights in the bottom parking lot. apparently the accident occured around 3pm. i didn't find out what happened till the evening news.

sunday. started snowing. just went for 1-1/2 hours. too hard to see. it got crowded at 10:30am so i left for home.

thanks russ. i had tried the mpls tribune but it didn't go into details other than a name.

what run did it occur?

i know someone who is paralyzed from a ski accident. he was a very experienced skier. he was out of bounds, lost control, and hit a tree.

article reposted here.

Duluth police on Monday released the name of a 28-year-old Richfield, Minn., man who died in a skiing accident at Spirit Mountain on Saturday.

Andrew Robert LeGrande died after running into a tree. He was not wearing a helmet.

“Witnesses seem to say that he came down, lost a ski and tried to regain control when he ran into a tree,” said Duluth police Sgt. Robert Shene, head of the Violent Crimes Unit. “We know from the family that he was a very experienced skier. They don’t want people to think he was skiing crazy. It was just one of those accidents that happened.”

Shene said there was a doctor skiing nearby and medical assistance was quickly provided to the victim.

Spirit Mountain marketing director Brianna Johnson said the last time a skier was fatally injured at the ski area happened several years before she began working there 11 winters ago. The last skiing fatality may have happened in January 1991, when Daniel Martin fell on the Gandy Dancer run and hit a tree.

At least three skiers were fatally injured at Spirit Mountain during the 1980s. In January 1986, Duluth East High School alpine team member Inger Eckman, 13, died after hitting a tree on a training run. She apparently lost control after hitting a slalom gate.

The year before Eckman’s death two men were fatally injured in separate accidents. In January 1985, Dave Sawallich, 24, of New Hope, Minn., died of complications four days after he broke both legs when he hit a tree on the slope.

In February 1985, Robert Reinert, 22, of St. Cloud, Minn., died after rupturing a heart vessel and his spleen when he hit a tree.

I saw the commotion and people gathered around the spot. Someone told me what happened. I had second thoughts about another run as the light was flat and disappearing. Decided to call it. Man, one minute your having a ball, the next...

It is a shame, but if I gotta go let it be quick like that! Taken by the play.

It's tough, that's for sure. It could happen any time. If you ask me its just best not to think about it. Do what you can to keep it from happening, but don't let the thought of it keep you from living.

Lets lift things up a bit. Any good news?

went to the beloved mountain of groomed perfection.

snow was great. i did a few runs down the backside. there's something of a trough or bowl going down that run. kinda fun on toe-sides. crossroads was a little hectic. ski races again. then there was the ski patrollers doing their red sled drills.

i was having a great time. as an added bonus Buck Hill was hosting Jessica Alba Appreciation Day! round of applause.

i really wanted to appreciate her but couldn't find jessica out on the runs.

capitol idea, anytime!

:biggthump

post-1112-141842227605_thumb.jpg

was out from 10 - 1 today at buck with powell1.8. holy crowded lift lines batman! the parking lot was almost full at 9:45. took at least 10 minutes to get a lift ticket. the line was out the door and up by the bunny slope chair lift. apparently there are a lot of schools off today, plus they had 2 or 3 groups of 200+ from other schools.

not what you expected on a weekday morning. our friend that claims we ruin the hill was out too. didn't get a chance to ask her what she thought of the crowds.

but, the snow was good. just too many people around.

-trent

I have been sitting on the couch for 25 days.......Air cast, Vicodin, MRI's, Dr's...Damn this sucks! Wife is in the cities for the weekend. Got sick of sitting around and said to the kids "Let's see if this cast fits in my boot so we can go riding." Took the liner out of my soft boots, added some socks and hit the slopes. 600 kids to dodge, but it was fun. My 4yo daughter's first day on a board, it was a blast. It felt great to just coast down the hill, ankle hurts but I think I'll take them out tomorrow................... :biggthump

Ugh. That is horrible news about the Skier at Spirit.

You're gutsy Kenton. Be careful!

But I hear ya.. It's hard to stay inside when the surf's up..

Boy! There have been a lot of injuries this year.

One of our newest (and youngest) li'l guys fell pretty hard in the practice

course yesterday at Hyland.

He left just looking tired and frustrated, but I just found out that his X-ray revealed a broken collar bone!

When talking to his parents, it sounded like he was so determined to ride in his first boarder-X this weekend,

he thought he could just tough-it-out.. Wow! That's some serious dedication!!

Jonah is super-fast for his age. He's planning for a quick-heal before competing at nationals.

If you see an incredibly energetic little ripper

out at Hyland in... about four weeks, give 'em a high-five.. or...

probably better yet.. a kind word and a tap on the helmet. : )

See ya Sunday at Buck!

Maybe I'll stop by "Play It Again" first for some football pads..

~Karl

It's race central. The bad thing is, there are races on a lot of the runs most of the time and when there's not, the runs are rutted. The good thing is, most of the skiers can now carve to some degree, certainly more than anywhere else I've been. This means the runs don't get bumped out on softer days.

BobD

....thanks Trent, Karl et al for setting up the gates and the day. The snow was awesome. I have a number of pics, Dave, if you want to give me a place to put them. But....I could really use some help getting these massive files down to a size small enough to get here on bomber without losing quality.

Matt

post-57-141842227728_thumb.jpg

post-57-141842227729_thumb.jpg

post-57-14184222773_thumb.jpg

temp early this morning was -1F with a -19F windchill. definitely cold. right now at 3pm its about 7F. snow was hard but very good. trent and karl set up a slalom course. it was probably one of the few times i could carve around those stubbies. i did have some problems but it was a good time. thanks trent and karl.

i brought out the 3d camera gear. the slalom course was ideal. i hope the pictures turn out. something i don't quite understand about film cameras is the exposure reading. i couldn't figure out why one camera had a 1/2 stop higher exposure reading than the other. so i compensated by adjusting the aperture on one so the readings matched. i think it could be that one camera is not calibrated like the other. i think what i should have done is picked the same aperture and see what happens. if anyone has ideas, please chime in.

later i had set up my camera on crossroads to take a shot of karl, trent, and jessie. i think i got a shot of wild bill. this lesson group got on the run and started snowplowing right through where i just set up. i had placed my glove as a marker for the crew to carve by me. the lesson group slowly snowplowed around me and proceeded to plow over my glove. one kid dragged it downhill a short distance. i started after the glove and seconds later another kid slowly snowplows over the glove. how ski-tarded do you have to be to snowplow over a glove?!? it must've looked comical from top of the hill. makes me wonder if that instructor purposely guided his minions through my photo-shoot.

so, after everyone left, i stayed another hour to get my freak on. i wasn't too cold but definitely tired. the liftie said to me "man! those are some pretty lines!". that made my day.